Just finished restoring my Remington 500-1 - pics

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by larrye44, Dec 26, 2010.

1. larrye44

larrye44 New Member

Just finished restoring my Remington 550-1 - pics

Just finished restoring my Remington 550-1. Just waiting on Numrich to send the firing pin and rear sight step. I should have gotten a before picture. It was in very bad shape. I took the stock down to bare wood and soaked it in water to fill the wood cells. Then took an iron and wet bath cloth and steamed out the dents and gouges. Just left a few so as to retain some of the character that a 60 year old rifle would have. Put on two coats of Tung Oil. The metal is okay, 50% of the blue is gone and left a nice brown patina. Bolt works great and can't wait to see how it shoots. I know they are renowned as very accurate and reliable rifles. Larry

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  2. 22shot

22shot New Member

larrye44

NIce!

You did't "deminsh" the value of this .22; you brought it back.
  3. 1969SS396

1969SS396 New Member

Very Nice!

I have one that was given to me years ago when my uncle passed.....I'd love to get a manual like you have pictured, are they available from Remington?
  4. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

5. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

That's just flat out NICE Larry! And agree with 22shot, you brought it back.
  6. larrye44

larrye44 New Member

Thanks guys, for the kind words. You all know it was a labor of love. It's so gratifying to see it come back in little stages. All the while wondering what it will look like when it is finished. I have to wonder about anyone who doesn't love these old guns.

1969SS396 the link that trap55 gave us is where I got the manual. Just printed it out and folded and stapled it.

Thanks again, Larry
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

You did a beautiful job on it. I have one that my Grandmother bought me in 1969 as a High School graduation gift.
  8. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Great job, the woodgrain is pulled out nicely! Got any more pics, she's a beauty!
  9. brookes_husband

brookes_husband New Member

Amazing work... What was your method for refinishing the stock... I have refinished many for friends and family, even a few outsiders... But mine are mostly a very glossy very personalized 22lr. (usually Marlin)... I tell the owners that I am about to kill the value of the rifle that they bring me, so I try talk them into purchasing inexpensive rifles from a Pawn Shop... I will post some pics... But, I have a few that I have attained over the years that I refuse to customize... Will post some pics if I ever figure out how...
  10. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

11. grcsat

grcsat Active Member

larrye44

You did a realy nice job on the stock.
    However please don't reblue the metal parts. There is something about the old 22rs that have character when you see the worn blueing and all the minor nicks and bruses.

Good job.
  12. brookes_husband

[​IMG]
    Marlin Model 60W: This is my youngest son's rifle... We saw an old barn near where we live and he wanted his rifle to look the way it did only "shiny" as he put it...
    [​IMG]
    Revelation Model 120 (Marlin): This is my eldest son's rifle... He wanted it blue (no matter how much I tried talking him out of it...
    [​IMG]
    Marlin Model 60W: This is my wife's rifle and my first to airbrush after I used pickling stain...
    [​IMG]
    And I wasn't going to put their's on without mentioning mine... P.S. if you need to know how to make these Viper 522's function properly just send me a message and I will explain how, it's very simple and very inexpensive... Thanks Danny
  13. larrye44

larrye44 New Member

Thanks again everyone for the compliments. It's great to share with guys that love guns.

brookes_husband, you have some beautiful work there. You sure have a talent for it. I especially like the Model 60W, very classy look. Nice clean look.

I take it down to bare wood and then sand to 220 grit. If the grain looks a little pale, I'll put on some dark walnut stain, let it dry over night then wipe it down with mineral spirits. That way the grain get a little color. Then I use a good quality Tung Oil and wipe it on by hand, usually two to three coats. That seals the wood and protects it and gives it a finish that looks 50 years old but new at the same time. Here is the Remington 514 that my father gave me when I was 10. It is 57 years old. My father told me to take very good care of it and I think I have done so.

I do some airbrush also. Here's a picture of my deer rifle stock. Air brushed then finished with three coats of Marine Spar Varnish matte finish. That's my old Army division patch on the pistol grip.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  14. brookes_husband

Those are absolutely beautiful... Thanks for the pointers on the original look and I appreciate your comments on my work... Couldn't make out the patch, which one is it?
    I'm an old "Big Red One" Guy
  15. larrye44

larrye44 New Member

ASA, intelligence. I know! Oxymoron...Army...Intelligence. Oh well, I'm very proud of being in the ASA. I know you are proud of being a Big Red One. I'm in SW Georgia and the 1st used to be here at Ft. Benning.