just for fun and my edification

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by redcloudisalive, Mar 13, 2004.

1. redcloudisalive

redcloudisalive New Member

Ok help me out with any suggestions. What style action and in what caliber would you recommend to fill any obvious gaps in my present rifle armory?

Existing armory includes: .22 cal bolt, 22-250 cal. bolt, .243 Win BAR, .270 Win single shot "falling-block, 30/30 Marlin lever, 300 Win Mag bolt, 45/70 Marlin lever, .375 H&H bolt, & .416 double can. All are scoped but the 45/70 and the double rifle.

I thought about a .223 cal tactical rifle (but I can't figure which is best regarding functionality and esp. dependability) or a .308 or .338 cal in like a Ruger #1. What about a "break -open action in some caliber?

Redcloud
  2. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

Do you enjoy semiauto?
  3. redcloudisalive

Well Reminbgton 597,

I do have a BAR in .243 thats a hoot to shoot. I like its usefulness for varmits and larger game.

Recloud PS- I tried to find out about your name sake model but couldn't find much.
  4. Remington597

I would highly recommend the Remington 597. Its incredibly ergonomic and accurate. Go to remington.com , thats the company website and they really go into great detail about it.

As you can see, I enjoy .22 semiauto rifles and pistols. I also have a few 9mm.

I would also recommend that you visit the Volquartsen website at volquartsen.com

Here is the Volquartsen .22LR rifle

[​IMG]

I also enjoy Ruger 10/22s and Marlin 60SS, as well as my favorite Rem.597.
  5. Remington597

As far as average prices,

Volquartsens are from $500-$1200
    Remington 597 from $150-$350
    Marlin 60SS /K from $150-$350
    Ruger 10/22s same as above.

The Volquartsen is probably the best 22 rifle and the most accurate that there is. Thats just my opinion and many others who shoot competitive 22 rifles.
  6. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

Here is a good choice.

Only wish I could afford one without my wife findin' out.

ISB
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  7. redcloudisalive

i have the same problem sometimes. She doesn't seem to get it!
  8. Remington597

I take being single for granted.
  9. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

S&A m1a .308 ,nuff said
  10. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

Out of left field comes a vote for the Thompson Encore.
    Break open, multi-barrel wonder. Get a few different barrels on one stock. Really complete your safe.

tcarms.com

I have only shot a few, so I am not the authority. Just a different thought to help make the decision harder

Good luck
  11. redcloudisalive

Never had experience with them, are they accurate? good fit and finish? do they take quick release scope mounts or does each barrel need its own scope?
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2004
  12. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

A drilling. You need a drilling.

Gun store near my house has a beautiful German drilling with two 16 ga. barrels side-by-side above 8mm Mauser. Original scope. ~$3500.

Not a Holland and Holland, but a very nice gun, especially for the price.
  13. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

The one I shot had a trigger job done, according to the owner. 200 yard outdoor range with little or no wind, Even I held a few inche groups off of a bag.
    Remember to look for the Encore. The Thompson center is the rim/centerfire. Something about the hammer worries me. Anyway, the Encore is meant for the stronger loads. Ranging from the 14" 22 hornet all the way to a 375H&H mag in 26"
    Yes the pistol barrels will fit on the rifle stock. ( Except in California where you are not allowed to have the pistol stock or barrels under 16" )
    Just a thought because out here you can get the stock and one barrel for about $500-600. Then a couple hundred bucks a barrel after that.
    And yes you can use removable scope mounts. Every barrel is tapped for a rail.

tcarms.com

Good luck
  14. absolute

absolute Guest

You could easily replace them all with

Just a BAR in 300 Win Mag and an AR-15, with a .22 conversion unit, and maybe an upper in .50 AE, for close brush shooting. The 9 lb gas op BAR, in 300 Win Mag recoils like a 7 lb bolt action 270. For dangerous game, it's faster for the second hit than is the double, and way ahead of the bolt action for finishing off cripples. At the longer ranges, the bullet is in flight for 1/2 second or more. Any animal can take a step in 1/2 second, and that means a gut hit. You have no control whatsover over the animal, so eventually, this will happen to you. With the right riflling twist and a 250 gr Barne's "solid", the .300 is quite capable of taking anything that walks, while it also has extreme long range potential, using the 220 gr match bthp's. That's not true of the 375 or the 416, ya know. The only problem is that most African nations don't permit auto rifles. Me, I'd rig a "bolt handle" to stick out of the side of the thing. Goons in African Customs won't know the difference. :)

Me, I'd just get the 7 lb alloy framed model, in 308, for the cheap practice with milsurp ammo, and forget about any percieved"need" of more power or range than the 308 has. Just brain the big, dangerous critters, like Bell did tuskers (using his 7mm Mauser). Given the really rapidfire at the head possible with a 308 auto, no reason to worry about a failure to stop, if you are using proper ammo for the job.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2004
  15. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Geez, looks like ya got it all covered up to the 45-70. How about a 700 Nitro Express. That will win ya friends at the local shooting range! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D