just got 2 new friends

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by madbuck22, Mar 9, 2011.

1. madbuck22

madbuck22 Member

just got in from cabelas my nosler 6 reloading manual, and my hornaday 8th. waiting for my other package with bullets i have not bought my press or anything else, cause from what u guys told me was to bone up on the manuals first that's what i'm gonna do they are fat books. u guys might get some more stupid ?'s but to me it's all about making the best amo for me and again i thank everyone who's helped me so far i'll stay in touch i'm gonna kick back and read now as i have a beer, see yall later.:D
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

You're off to a great start, don't worry about the size of the manuals. The first sections that are "must reads" are less than 10%, most of the bulk is in the load data. I finally picked up a copy of Speer 14th and I spent an hour tonight reading through the first 40 or so pages. I have read at least 20 other manuals, but still read any that are new to me.

Looking forward to any more questions you may have and none of them are stupid. No such thing as stupid questions, only stupid people that don't ask questions ! :D

Reading in advance will help ensure that you get the right equpiment the first time around and save you some bucks.

Semper Fi and Enjoy your reading !!

Woolley
  3. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Don't hold back on the questions because I think everyone here is more than happy to give you their opinion and be helpful.
  4. creektrails

creektrails New Member

I just began reloading too. I have an older Nosler manual and just got in the newest sierra binder. The different info the manuals cover and the detail really personalizes them. I was hoping they would all be the same but doesnt work like that. Looks like Ive got yrs of buying and reading ahead.
  5. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

I've been doin this for a long time and refer back to my manuals regularly. You don't always retain everything you read, but you hold enough to know where to begin looking when you run into a problem. Or, maybe its just because I'm gettin older, but they are worth every penny. Woolleyworm was almost known as Bookworm for having so many manuals. Also madbuck, there is lots of loading info on the internet. I go to the different sites and print off their load data sheets and make my own manuals that fit my guns and powder selections. Slide'em into sheet protectors by caliber and add my own creations to them as I try new loads.
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Using Internet load data is fine IF it is from a published source from a reloading equipment or supplies manufacturer, like Hornady, Hodgdon, Speer, Sierra, Nosler, Barnes, Lee, the NRA, etc.. These are tested loads, tested for pressure. Some magazine loads are not tested loads but most magazine editors check them against published loads or with the manufacturers to make sure they are not over pressure.

Remember we are dealing with pressures in the 50,000 psi or more range for most rifle cartridges. When it escapes through a non-normal path, it can do serious damage to you and your gun and to the guy shooting beside you.

Joe Doak's load you get from a forum is not a tested load. If you use a published load and it blows up your gun and you, then you have legal recourse. Joe lives in his car and could care less that his load blew up both you and your gun.

BE SAFE!

LDBennett