Just Got A Savage Model 19 M, Questions

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by dksac2, Jan 29, 2011.

1. dksac2

dksac2 New Member

I just bought a Savage 19 M in at least 95% condition, it came with the original Wallensk 4X scope.
    This is my first old Savage 22.
    It's the model with the longer stock, 28" heavy barrel. The stock goes to within about 4" from the end of the barrel, kind of military looking and has a metal cap on the end.
    It has the built in scope mounts and a blade front sight, but I don't see a back sight on it.
    It's not like the later NRA models that had the extended dopter rear sight and hooded front sight and in the pictures, I can't see any holes or anywhere that a rear sight could be mounted, so I'm wondering if it even had a rear sight.
    If anyone has any more info on it, I'd sure like to know more about it. I have not got it yet, so I can't post pics.

I know it's an earlier model than most of the model 19's, not an NRA version, but more of a target rifle.
    The scope has the outside ring with the 3 turrets to adjust the whole tube for sighting it in.
    I paid $425. for it. Very good bluing, great stock, but it has a small chip at the heal, otherwise it looks perfect.
    It has the military type sling swivels on it.
    I'm pleased as can be with it. The guy at the shop said the bore is excellent also, it may be a darn good shooter.
    I intend to shoot it with subsonic ammo only. Can't wait to see how it groups at 25 and 50.

Anyone who could give me more info on this model, I would sure appriciate it.
    Thanks, John K
  2. steve99f

steve99f New Member

The military style stocked Model 1919's had 25 inch bbls according to the catalogues. Came equipped with a front sight and a receiver sight of Savage make attached by one screw initially and then two later on, different size screws. The scope and mount is likely an after market affair. The Wollensak scope business I think was later bought out by Redfield.

Good luck with yours.
  3. dksac2

dksac2 New Member

No, they actually made a 28" barrel, heavier than stock barrel and the rifle had built in scope mounts. I think it's a more rare model, but it is stock the way described.

I'm just trying to find out any additional info on them. Not sure if it has a serial number as it's not here yet, but wanted to find out how many were made and any other tid bits that anyone might know.

You are correct about the 25" model, this is a variation of the regular 19 M, it has the longer military stock also. No rear sight, a blade front sight without a hood. As far as I know, they were not made with a rear sight, and from the pics, there are no holes in the reciever of stock to attach a rear sight, but I could be wrong. It's something I want to find out about.

My Best, John K
  4. steve99f

steve99f New Member

John,

If you want to now more about these then you need to buy some old catalogues. You're right there was a 28 inch model the 19M. Rarely seen.

It should have a serial number. Savage was good about that before WW II except for the rifles intro's in the 30's like the Model 3,4,5, etc.
  5. dksac2

dksac2 New Member

Thanks Steve, I've learned some about the rifle, but was looking for any more info that anyone might have.
    As I have not seen near as many of the rifles in the style I have, I'm thinking it's a little more rare, maybe not.
    I don't know production numbers. I do believe these are earlier models.

I just want to know as much about the rifle as I can, I will post pics when I get it.

Thanks, John K
  6. steve99f

steve99f New Member

John,

If its a 19M probably the only rarer one might be the Hornet model. When you get it I'd love to know what the muzzle mic's at. You might be able to get a factory letter on that. Records got squirrelly I'm told in the 30's so maybe not.
  7. dksac2

dksac2 New Member

I'll mic it for you when it get here. The only thing I know is that the 28" barrel is thicker than the 25" barrel, but I don't know by how much.
    The store I got it from said the rifling is excellent, I hope he right, it could be a shooter. I'll have to wait and see.
    It was supposed to be an earlier model than the 25" NRA versions, so I'm betting it is from the 30's. I'd love to have a factory letter, that would be the iceing on the cake. Whoever had it took pretty good care of it from what I saw in the pictures.

John K
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2011