Just had to share these

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by 358 winchester, Dec 27, 2007.

1. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

How to Make Potted Meat Gravy
    This recipe is surely to delight those of us that love potted meat. Although, a lot of health conscious people may not choose to eat potted meat or other canned meat products on a regular basic. Nevertheless, it is nice to treat ones self. And a lot of things are okay if done in moderation. Therefore, people need to establish, for themselves, a balance in their eating habits. For each of our bodies act differently to certain food groups. And most of us are aware of the fact that a lot of canned meats have a lot of sodium added. People that need to watch there sodium intake may not want to eat very many canned meat products. But if they choose to this is a delicious recipe.

Ingredients(1-2) (3oz.) Cans of (Hormel) Potted Meat (Food Product)
    (1/2 to 3/4) Cup of (Gold Medal) (Self-Rising) Flour
    (3/4 to 1) Cup of (Reduced Fat) Milk (More or less) can be added, warm water can be used in place of milk, or part of both
    Salt and Pepper - The use of salt and pepper is optional. A salt substitute can be used in place of the salt. Garlic powder can be used for additional seasoning, and will help aid in lowering cholesterol.
    Products to Have on Hand:

(Pure Wesson) Vegetable Oil and (Bertolli) (Extra Virgin) Olive Oil
    (1/4 to 1/2) Cup of Oil (Combine both oils)
    [edit] StepsMake sure that all products needed are at your convenience. Be sure to sift the flour or use a fork to check for lumps. Any salt or salt substitute, pepper, or garlic powder can be, directly, added to sifted flour. Have flour pre-measured and set aside. The same step applies to the oil, and the milk or water. Be sure to place the skillet on the burner of the stove.
    Set the burner that's underneath the skillet on a medium setting, allowing the oil to get extremely hot. A person can test to see if it is hot enough by added a little flour. If the flour sizzles it is time to begin preparing the gravy.
    Add flour a little at a time, while constantly stirring. Allow the gravy to become lightly brown before moving on to the next step.
    Reduce the heat and slowly add in the potted meat as soon as the gravy has reached the desire thickness. Be sure to continue stirring, while allowing the gravy to simmer once the potted meat has been added.
    Remove it from the heat and serve hot, when the gravy is read, or allow it to cool.

If eating anything that has an excessive amount of sodium, be sure to drink lots of water.
    Using a cast iron skillet is highly recommended.
    This recipe will go great over hot biscuits. Simply cut open the biscuit and pour the gravy on top. This recipe is great at breakfast or anytime. It can be poured over grits or hash browns. And, also, it makes a great side dish for dipping, biscuits, toast, or hot rolls.
    Has a fast meal idea toss one or more baking potatoes inside the microwave, or box mashed potatoes are quick and easy to prepare. The gravy can be added on top of either one.
    A potted meat can or small Vienna sausage makes a perfect size biscuit cutter, for homemade biscuits. They always turn out just the right size. Simply save the can, wash and remove label...next tuck it away in with your silverware or other utensils.
    It is recommended using a fork to stir and make gravy. It helps to assure that the gravy has no lumps and turns out creamy.
    Normally the thicker the gravy the better, but that is not meaning too thick. Therefore, follow each step carefully and slowly. Warm water can be added if the gravy ends up too thick. But, also, move slowly with that step.

Do not burn the gravy. It needs to only be a light brown.
    Do not use oil or oils in excess. Someone should carefully think out how much gravy that they're intending on making, such as is it for one, two or more people. The goal is to taste the gravy and not the oil. Allow just enough oil to soak up the flour. In order to reach the field goal with this recipe

some simple ones if your in a hurry

Cheesy Meat Spread (Makes 1-1/4 cups)

1 3oz. can ARMOUR STAR POTTED MEAT FOOD PRODUCT, 1/2 cup mayonaise, 1 7.5oz. container pimiento cheese spread, 1 tablespoon minced onion, assorted crackers

Combine all ingredients; beat at medium speed of electric mixer until smooth. Chill thoroughly. Serve on crackers.

Devilish Meat & Egg Sandwich (Makes 6 sandwiches)

5 hard cooked eggs, 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish, 2 3oz. can ARMOUR STAR POTTED MEAT FOOD PRODUCT, 1 tablespoon minced onion, 12 white bread slices, 1/3 cup mayonaise, lettuce

Mash eggs; mix with potted meat, mayonaise, pickle relish, and onion; chill, if desired. Spread mixture on 6 bread slices; top with lettuce and remaining bread slices.

Meaty Deviled Eggs (Makes 12 servings)

6 hard cooked eggs (cut in half), 1 3oz. can ARMOUR STAR POTTED MEAT FOOD PRODUCT, 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teaspoon onion powder, 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish, 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon mayonnaise, 1/2 teaspoon vinegar, parsley sprigs

Remove yolks from eggs. Mash yolks; blend in remaining ingredients except parsley. Fill egg halves. Chill thoroughly. Garnish with parsley.

Old English Potted Meat Spread (Makes 1-1/2 cups)

1 5.5oz. can ARMOUR STAR POTTED MEAT FOOD PRODUCT, 1 5oz. process cheese spread (sharp Old English flavor), 3 tablespoons chopped sweet pickle, assorted crackers

Combine potted meat and cheese spread. Add pickle; chill. Serve on crackers.

Tangy Spread (Makes 2 cups)

2 3oz. can ARMOUR STAR POTTED MEAT FOOD PRODUCT, 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish, 1 tablespoon prepared mustard, 1 8oz. pkg cream cheese (softened), bread or assorted crackers

Combine all ingredients, except bread or crackers; chill thoroughly. Serve on bread.

ENJOY THEM MY FRINEDS
    I like the gravy with eggs for breakfast or with rice for dinner it's GOOD
    :D:D
  2. Ron, I heard that recent scientific investigation indicates that potted meat is a leading cause of Alzheimers in mice, not to mention gastroenteritis in humans. :D;):p
  3. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

I think I just threw up a little................ and that still tasted better than potted meat......
  4. TheJakster2

TheJakster2 New Member

I heard it causes impotence too.:D;)
  5. conifer

conifer New Member

All kidding aside, fellas.......several recent studies suggest that potted meat, because of the types of animal tissues used in its preparation, can lead to a number of pathologies. For example..........
    The uterine wall of pigs (used in potted meat) contains a triglyceride of which one carboxyllic acid is a C/331 (that is, a 331-carbon chain in front of the COOH group). This acid (tridecemunioic acid or TDC) is digested with great difficulty - if atall, and thus is ultimately stored intact in the lymphatic ducts ...mainly in the axilla. Continued ingestion of potted meat leads to pathological accretions of this fatty acid to the point where the patient cannot place his/her arms flatly against the body. Thus....with time ...(and continued potted meat consumption) ....the arms are held at increasing angles to the body axis. This syndrome (Axillary Submaxillary Stenosis and Histopathological Obfusion-Lympholytic Endovariosis ...or ASSHOLE) has historically led to innumerable embarrassing events, notably (as history records) in pre-1951 City of Winnipeg, Canada streetcars (they were not used after 1952), where passengers' arms were forced at 90 degrees from their bodies (due to pathological accumulations of TDC) ..... all leading in turn to reduced available space in streetcars (nevermind side-by-side urinals in streetcar stations!!), minor scuffs and scrapes on adjacent passengers, and absurdly long fingernails of those who lived alone.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  6. 358 winchester

Y'all are so funny, here I am trying to help keep you alive and y'all are cracking jokes :eek: I just can't believe it :D:D;)
  7. conifer

conifer New Member

Hey "358":
    I see you are near Pensacola ....while I am in Gainesville.....just a short hop for me to drop by and do some hunting with you (pending invitation, natcherlie) ..... and, since (1) there is no closed season on pigs, (2) pigs are innumerable in your area, and (3) we can make potted meat with YOUR half, I'll just sit here quietly .... anticipating your hospitality. :D:D
  8. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

The Potted Meat Master strikes again!:D
  9. 358 winchester

Check your PM
    I wish I had a place with hogs on it to hunt I just hunt in my yard, lost our lease last year.
  10. OMG! Heaven help us if Ron ever obtains a plentiful supply of porky parts to make potted meat! The Florida Panhandle would have to be evacuated . . . and yes, the pun was intended! :D;):p
  11. conifer

conifer New Member

Well, so come for dinner when you are going by Gainesville ....give me a holler.....we can discuss alternate hunt possibilities, global warming, exchange recipes for whooping crane ....whatever comes up.
    Alex
  12. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Whooping crane tastes just like Manatee. Just not as tender.
  13. They do? And here I always thought they tasted like crows. :D;):p