Just Need to Vent

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dobbs .40, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Dobbs .40

Dobbs .40 New Member

So I am 20 yrs lod and I went into my local gunshop trying to see if they had any positions open or any kind of apprenticeship. Long story short I left with the guys saying in Arizona I can get arrested if I was caught open carrying if I was under 21. Gotta love it when people don't understand the laws. Just wanted to vent a little.
  2. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Do you look 17?
  3. Dobbs .40

Dobbs .40 New Member

Nope. Im 6 ft 190 lbs facial hair and wear a wedding ring lol
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

5. jedwil

6. Dobbs .40

Dobbs .40 New Member

7. jedwil

Think I would take them a copy of the statute for future reference since they are in the business.
  8. geds

geds New Member

Welcome to the forum Dobbs from the Heart of Dixie! There are some smart people on this forum (present company excepted) who can help you with all sorts of things! Pull a chair, get a bowl of ice cream, and join in the fun!
  9. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

Agreed........it will also let them know that you aren't and idiot (that they are).
  10. Dobbs .40

Dobbs .40 New Member

I sent them an email more or less saying if they are giving ppl info make sure its correct and listed 4 or 5 websites stating the minimum open carry laws for AZ.
  11. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Your responses are both right AND wrong:confused:
    In the state of AZ.If you are 18 you are aloud to own a hand gun if it is a gift or purchased from a private party.
    But you CAN NOT buy one from a FFL holder nor can a FFL holder SELL TO SOMEONE UNDER 21.
    So as for you working in a dealer's store I could not find a law that says you can't (but that does not mean there is not a law)
    So with out a law that says you can't it is up to the dealer and his shop rules.
    But I am not sure if you have to be 21 to sell handguns in a shop in AZ.
  12. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

Why risk a violation over the interpretation/technicality of a gun law and have a possiblity to lose your gun rights forever.You have less than a year to be sure.You will be in your 40's before you know it.Time goes fast!
    Just my opinion.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

This law also pertains to long guns. Being 20 years old you may sling a rifle or a shotgun over your shoulder and walk down the street freely and you may even get away with it wearing a handgun, but until you are 21 youre asking for complication.

Goofy is right on, you may legally own a handgun if you are under 21 IF its a gift and the person that gave it to you s a family member over 21 or you live with your parents, but you still shouldnt wear it in public until you are of legal age to purchase a handgun legally.

Point im trying to make is, be patient, youll be 21 before you know it, then next time you turn around youll be 31 and wishing you were 21 again.
  14. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

The statute specifically says 18 to OC. While you have to be 21 to buy from an FFL, if your state allows it (we do here in Missouri) you can however purchase from another individual.

There's ignorant people everywhere, that just means they aren't informed. If they've been instructed properly and still stand their ground, that makes them stupid, and there aint no fix for that.
  15. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Or JLA 56 and wishing you were 31 or 35 or even 40:ya:
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012