Just one more

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by todd51, Nov 17, 2011.

1. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

This all started when my cousin gave be back a Burris 4x pistol scope that I have previously given to him. It is stainless finish and I thought it would look good atop my MK III Hunter which is also stainless. Well that meant I had to remove the Burris FastFire from the Hunter. That's OK with me. Then JAL shows us that beautiful MK II that he acquired, oooh that was a nice one. But what do I do with the FastFire? Someone here once said the right number of guns to have is just one more, soooooo. I picked up this MK III Target today. But it is a MK III and not a MK II so I have ordered a Volquartsen trigger kit and a Sam Lam hammer bushing so I can get rid of the mag. release and hopefully a nice trigger. I am keeping the loaded chamber indicator so Josh you will just have to look at the right side only.

I disassembled it and gave it a cleaning and check. I really like these pistols but there is just something wrong with having to beat on a brand new pistol with a plastic hammer to get it apart and then back together again but with a new Ruger MK that seems to be life.

Hopefully I can shoot a few rounds through it this weekend before I tear it down for the trigger kit and hammer bushing and totally screw it up.:eek:
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  2. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Todd,
    I bought the same gun 1 year ago. Also got the Sam Lam bushing. I haven't installed it yet because this thing shoots so well out of the box that I'm happy with it as is. I'll get around to it I suppose, but it already out shoots me ,with zero malfunctions. I did strip and clean before firing. Happy shooting.Great pistol.
  3. Rhuga

Rhuga New Member

Same here. I bought one of these a couple of years ago and it works just fine also. When Ruger said that this was a .22 with the feel of a .45 they were not kidding.
  4. Daffyd

Daffyd Member

5. aandabooks

aandabooks Member

Nice gun. It is about 3 guns down on my short list of pistols to purchase.
  6. vytoland

vytoland New Member

that is one nice looking pistol
  7. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

A hand held rifle.....so accurate right out of the box. All I did was add some rubber grips to the back that I had from a set I had on a MK II. I will never get rid of my MK III.
  8. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

I have the MKll and MKlll Hunterand love them both. When I got the MKlll I also got a MKll hammer bushing from MidwayUSA it was only a few bucks. I installed it in a few minutes and got rid of that dang magazine safety. It now has the nicest trigger you could ever hope to have.
    Todd you rerally didn't need the trigger kit as with the new bushing you'll love the trigger as is.
    Perma you really need to install the hammer bushing as you won't believe the diference.
  9. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Brisk, I think you are right about the trigger kit. After the initial clean up I dry fired a few times and that trigger is pretty darned nice for out of the box. No creep, crisp break, about all the trigger kit would do to improve would be the after travel which is not a big deal for me. Anxiously awaiting Sam's bushing which is in the mail at this time.

Thanks all for the nice comments.
  10. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

It was drizzling outside so I figured I would see if I could install the Volquartsen trigger parts in the Hunter and if that went OK I would put the Burris 4x scope on it in place of the FastFire. Had a new set of Majestic grips to finish it off. Started off with a review of the how to at Brownells.
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=12902/GunTechdetail/Tweaking_Ruger_s_Mark_III_Target_Pistol_Accurizing_Kit_and_Target_Grip_Installation
    Then dove in. This Hunter is not stubborn in dis assembly like the Target is so things went smoothly. Just follow the instructions and it went in pretty easy. Had a new Sam Lam bushing so I could get rid of the magazine disconnect also. I know you said I would probably not need the Vol. Kit in the Target Brisk but wow this thing has got a really nice trigger now, WOW! All I need now is a nice day to go try it out.

Here's a before and after.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  11. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Ok Todd u know the drill lets see the targets