Just one old guy at the range

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by todd51, Jun 18, 2010.

1. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Everybody either working:(, ill:eek::. or golfing:rolleyes: so I just went to the range by myself. Hot down there as it got close to 90 with lots of sun. But I just enjoyed it but not body to brag too so you are elected.

Shot my Colt from a seated position but otherwise off hand. I get a little shaky at near the end of each string so need to take a break half way through the next time. Results were better than the last time so improvement is always good but got to work on those "shaky fliers":).

After the 45acp I got out my S&W Model 17 .22 and after 24 rounds waded up the target and tossed it in the can. Too embarrassing to show anyone and sure glad I was by myself.

First 24 rounds:
    View attachment 37156

Second 24 rounds:
    View attachment 37157

View attachment 37158
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  2. 199er

199er New Member

Very nice shooting Todd51, nice weapon too.....................................no carrots for you next week!!!
  3. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Do you shoot at a private range up there or is there a state run, open to the public range?

I get to Columbus on business and it would be nice to stop, fire off some rounds to break up the monotony of the trip back to Cinci area.
  4. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Tim, I have some property SE of Circleville near Laurelville about half a mile from Rock House State Park. I have a home made range set up there. It takes me about an hour to drive down there from home here in the suburbs of Columbus. I know it might be out of your way but any time you would like to take the detour I would be pleased to drive down with you and shoot some and then you could go on to Cinci when finished.

Got pistol targets at 50' and target holders and hanging steel at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards for what ever. Good hill to stop the bullets. You can see a couple of pixs at:

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/showthread.php?t=77475

Todd
  5. garydude

garydude Member

Todd,
    Well done and thanks for sharing! Man, sure wish I could have gone with you. That's one beautiful piece of property! Seems too nice to shoot it up.
    Here's a pic of me and the kids at our local range. Pretty bleak compared to your little paradise!

Attached Files:

6. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Hey Gary, what great looking kids. Neat berms. Yea I got pretty leafy trees now but look what happens to my little play ground in January. :D
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  7. garydude

garydude Member

Thanks for the compliment on the kids- they got the looks from their mother (who was taking pic). BTW that picture I posted was taken in mid-November, so you can tell by the shorts what it's like here in the winter. On the other hand, probably got to 105 or so today.
    I think your property looks gorgeous even when covered in snow! I would gladly shoot there in the wintertime (if my frozen hands could hold up my gun). Living out here definitely makes one poorly tolerant to cold temps.
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

todd51:

I learned years ago to start the shooting sessions with the 22s and work up through the guns, least recoiling first. The shakes take longer to start. Also you might try loading the mags of the 45ACP with only 5 shots. That will give you a break and might eliminate the end of string shakes.

Getting old has it drawbacks when it comes to shooting. I'm half the shooter I was when in my 40's. The additional 25+ years doesn't help at all. I'm wiser but shake more. But I can still go shooting. There are other things I can no longer do at all. Oh well!

LDBennett
  9. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Thanks LD for the tip on the .22's first, will try it that way next time.

Yea, age does present some problems but it does give me time that I didn't have when had to go to work every day. Don't shoot as well but can shoot more often and I think that is a good enough trade off. Enjoy the range time regardless of the results.

Todd
  10. Eddie N

Eddie N New Member

Todd, that looks like some mighty fine shooting to me. And at 50 feet? I hope I never get on your bad side!;):D
  11. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Thanks Eddie, just lots of fun for the old man. The only bad side I think I have is the one looking back at me in the mirror every morning. Who is that old man?? :eek:
  12. red14

red14 Active Member

He's a just a little boy
    in a man's body.
  13. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Oh, but it is a lean mean fight'n machine body. :D
  14. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

Hi Todd51,

That's some pretty good shooting!
    I have the opposite problem as you. My hand shakes when I first start out, and then it gets better after I have shot a while. I have always been a little nervous, and I think it is getting worse as I get older. I guess I'm worried about what people think, or feel like evreyone is watching me.

Take Care
  15. red14

red14 Active Member

Yeah, yeah, that too.

Mom used to say:
    "men are little boys with big feet".
  16. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Hey Rocketman, hello to another Buckeye. You will have to come shooting with us old guys some time. If someone watching bothers you I will just go take a walk in the woods while you shoot. We just plink around and have a good time and if someone hits the bullseye everyone is glad.
  17. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Red, I think your mother was spot on.
  18. Eddie N

Eddie N New Member

And more expensive toys. I don't wanna grow up!
  19. Eddie N

Eddie N New Member

I think my bathroom mirror needs glasses, too.
  20. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

Hey todd51,

I may just take you up on that some time. Looks like you have a very nice secluded range down there in the hills. I’ve always loved the Old Man’s Cave area.

Take Care
    Rocketman