1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Just ordered the Lyman 49th Handbook

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by CampingJosh, Apr 20, 2011.

1. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I picked up the Hornady Reloading Handbook earlier this year to help me decide if I want to begin reloading. After reading the manual, I concluded that it's something I'd probably enjoy.

So today I went ahead and ordered the Lyman 49th Edition Reloading Handbook. I've been told that everyone should read at least two manuals before starting, so I figured I'd do that.
    However, when I ordered the manual, they had some "extras" included in the package. So now, in addition to the Hornady manual, case tumbler, and calipers that I already have, I've got a few more things coming in the mail.

• Lyman 49th Edition Reloading Handbook
    • T-Mag II turret Press
    • Universal Trimmer with Expanded Pilot Multi-pack
    • 1000XP Digital Electronic Scale
    • #55 Powder Measure
    • Universal Priming Arm
    • Primer Tray
    • Auto Primer Feed
    • Extra Decapping Pins
    • Primer Catcher
    • Deburring Tool
    • Powder Funnel
    • Quick Release Turret System
    • Case Lube Kit
    • 7/8" x 14 Adapter (mounts #55 powder measure in press turret)

Plus also a primer pocket cleaning tool, an impact bullet puller, and a set of carbide 9mm dies.

I'm thinking I may be a little bit busy in the next few weeks! :D:D
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  2. garydude

garydude Member

Nice Josh!

Can't wait to hear about your trials and tribulations, but most importantly your successes with reloading. You won't regret it!

What calibers are you planning on starting with? Might I suggest a straight wall pistol round as a good starting point?

Whup, just answered my own question by re-reading your die selection. I haven't done 9mm yet, so I might be of limited help.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  3. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

CJ I told you this could be additive, now you really have done it. Keep going and you'll fall in love! If you need anything let me know, maybe I can help.
  4. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Perfect choice to begin reloading, the tmag will serve you well. Great quality and the diversity of single stage or semi progressive loading makes the turret press a perfect first press as you will not tire from it quickly. After a few months i was loading 200 rds per hour on the tmag so production is not excessively time consuming. Enjoy and dont hesitate to ask questions, even though the lyman 49th really lays it out straight.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

CampingJosh:

You made the right choice of a press for beginning reloading. So many make the mistake of buying a single press to save a few bucks only to tire of the tedium of such a press. Yes, there are those that NEED to load single stage for their sporting needs (not me, I want full progressive and be able to load turret style and single stage with my Dillon RL550B).

The other mistake many make is to go cheap. When it comes to reloading tools, cheap is cheap. Better tools work better and last longer.

Good luck and have fun with reloading but do read the manuals and follow the recipes listed there. Deviating from them leads new reloaders to trouble and possible damage to themselves and their guns.

LDBennett
  6. X Ring

X Ring Member

I think you will be real happy with those few extras you picked up. The T Mag is a excellent choice. I remember my first press and what an exciting experience it was playing with all those new toys. Good luck, have fun and enjoy the most fascinating hobby I have been able to find anywhere. If you have any questions, I for one (along with many others here) will be happy to help if I can.
  7. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Got an e-mail today that it shipped out by UPS. Tracking info hasn't shown anything yet, so it's probably one of those "they printed the label and it will go out tomorrow" things. So Monday or Tuesday is looking pretty realistic.

Next week is remarkably "light" for me this time of year, so hopefully I'll have a chance to get it set up and going. I'm so excited I'm almost giddy. :D
  8. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Like a kid at Christmas CJ! Your fun's only beginning. The word "Giddy" tells it all. Heck, you're makin me giddy for ya!
  9. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Congrats Josh! Now yer officially hooked!

Like others have already said, that T-mag should be an excellent choice for a starter press.
    I know one guy with the earlier Special-T (predecessor to the T-mag) and he uses the heck out of it for handgun reloading. It doesn't have quite enough meat on the frame for big bottleneck rifle cartridges...you can see the turret or frame deflecting a bit on the big stuff, but I think they beefed things up when the redesigned it as the T-mag.

Sounds like you got the Expert kit with the electronic scale option. :) Midway? I see they had em on sale this month for the same price as the beam scale kit.
  10. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I did get the expert kit with the electronic scale. I ordered from Optics Planet, which was still a bit cheaper than Midway's sale price (free shipping, plus Google can always find a 5% off coupon code).

I placed an order for dies and some other stuff from Midway within two minutes of the Optics Planet order, so we'll see who has the faster shipping. I already got a shipping confirmation from Optics Planet, so it looks like they're ahead so far.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  11. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

OK, so I think I have my space (generally) set up. I have attached some pictures to show my new workspace.

This one shows pretty much the whole room. The table at the back is fastened to the wall, and that's where I'm going to set up the press. I have a small shelf put together (sitting on the back table) for the scale, but I'm not sure just yet which wall I'm going to fasten it to. The table on the left will be used for cleaning, repairs, etc.

Reloading Room 1.JPG

The table to the left is 11 feet long, and the one in the back is 6 feet from the wall to the edge of the other table (8' 8" total). Each of the tables is 32" deep.

Reloading Room 2.JPG

For those of you who are sure to ask, the three spots on the floor under the back table are indeed toilet flanges. This building used to be a bath house, but the septic system was condemned (and replaced), so it had no real purpose for a long time. Now it's got some use again.

Of course, the dog will likely be spending significant time with me (she likes to nap wherever I'm working), so I got her a small mat.

Reloading Room 3.JPG

Anyway, I'm probably going to add more shelving over time. Anything else I'm missing?
  12. jboo37

jboo37 New Member

Man that looks great! You should have many hours of enjoyment there. I don't know where in the country you are, but do you have fans or a window unit? Have fun..
  13. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I do have a window unit, but I don't expect to need it often. This building is in continuous shade, and the concrete floor works to keep it pretty cool.

I also work about 95 hours per week in June and July, so those are pretty much out anyway.

I didn't mention it, but I redid the wiring in there, and every set of receptacles is on its own breaker.
  14. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

I got the shipping confirmation from Midway just a few minutes ago. USPS, so it probably won't be updated beyond "electronic shipping info received" until it gets here. :rolleyes:

So getting that made me check again the tracking info for Optics Planet. It was updated, and it was some really good news. :D Turns out Optics Planet ships from the Chicagoland area, so UPS Ground to me here near Indianapolis is an overnight delivery. I should have my Expert Deluxe Kit tomorrow afternoon!
  15. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Nice reloading room!
    Wish I had access to that much free space. Looks like you think ahead.
    Can't wait to see the same pic, all loaded with your new goodies.