Just picked up a nice gun safe

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Coltonator, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Coltonator

Coltonator New Member

It holds 14 long guns and quite a dang few handguns. It feels much better knowing that my guns aren't just sitting in the closet. :D :p :eek: :D :p :eek:
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

What kind did you get?

Pictures???? :D

Proud to hear it Colt, thats one purchase that I've never regretted.

Crpdeth
  3. Coltonator

Coltonator New Member

It's a Sentry. Saw it at Home Depot and couldn't refuse the modest price! No pictures yet, it's still in the box :D :eek:
    About $330 out the door ain't bad eh?
  4. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

:D

Attached Files:

5. durk

durk New Member

Is it fire proof?
  6. Coltonator

Coltonator New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Durk~ It's supposed to be fire proof but, I haven't tested :p :eek: :D
  7. southernshooter

8. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

Colt I got the same one cupple yrs ago. nice but it'll be a squeeze to get 14 anythings in there unless theyB single shot falling blocks:confused: mine has 1 shelf I cramm a buncha franklyns an grantzin2. had to "Fabreeze" mine out 4 a week first, but 4 da jing itz fine:cool:
  9. OHshooter

OHshooter New Member

I've found that any safe out there will only hold about 3/4 the number of long guns that it is rated for. Bolt handles and scopes take up a lot of room.

Make sure that you put either a heater or moisture absorbent inside the safe to keep rust away. Also be sure that it is anchored to the wall and floor. You'd be surprised at what two determined bad guys with enough time can walk off with. You can't stop them but if you make them spend enough time getting it, they will give up on it. A friend of mine had the bad guys take his chainsaw and cut out a section of the wall out to take his safe while he was on vacation. Then the A**hats took the chainsaw!
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  10. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

IB is right...I bought the Cannon and I forget how many it is supposed to hold but I remember thinking that was a stretch when I tried it...The thing is, if you remove scopes and all those goodies their assessment is prolly pretty close, but I want my scopes so...

Another thing you can do is play around with storing some barrel end down and vise versa. I always store a freshly cleaned rifle, barrel end down, anyway, so that works out.

Nice safe Colt

Crpdeth
  11. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

:D I just picked up that same safe (earlier model) by Sentry for $150 from a guy across town. It is a pretty tight fit.

I've only got 4 long guns and a soon as i put one .30 cal ammo box in the bottom, there's hardly any room left. Plus the shelf up top is packed full.

But it is a lot better than having them all in my closet, and I couldn't beat the price.

The guy who sold it to me told me he'd had 5 calls on it that morning, but i was the first one there with the money and truck.:D
  12. Coltonator

Coltonator New Member

What can you suggest to keep moisture out? I live in Southern California. Would the moisture packets that the safe came with be enough?

Thanks,
    Colt
  13. southernshooter

Do a internet search for golden rod
  14. cec

cec New Member

For moisture I use a large bag of silla gel pellets. Every few months dry them out in a oven for a few hours. Cost about 10 bucks.

I have had some people look at my safe (Granite Safe) and when asked I go into it's details. But I also remind them that anyone who is determined will just take the damn thing or break into. I just hope I am not home when it happens, anyone determined enough to lift that beast or take the few hours to break into it are not going to care that someone is in the house.
  15. Coltonator

Coltonator New Member

It's probably not bulletproof eh? :D:D:D
  16. southernshooter

Colt you forgot the most important part............ Pics of the inside
  17. Coltonator

Coltonator New Member

I'll get some interior pics as soon as possible. Camera batteries are dead and it's too hard to make out the details and firearms with the cell phone. :(
  18. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Ya know....

We have a ton of firearm picture threads...What we need is a safe pic thread. :D

Also I gotta go with Cec on this one, 550 lb safe full of guns, ammo and 1000's of unloaded bullets, bolted to the floor...It's gonna take a MAN to walk away with that baby...Especially after all this rain, I do believe they would sink trying to get out of here. :D

Crpdeth
  19. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

You must be sleeping better, Colt. Got all the lumps out from under the mattress! :D Here in North Ca. I bought a cannister of the silica stuff. They sell it in Crafts Stores , used for drying flowers. $10 or 12, I believe. I bought & tried one of those Remington plug in Dehumidifiers. Ain't worth crap!
  20. Coltonator

Coltonator New Member

All I need now is that Ruger Redhawk Stainless to go right under the single-six on the door. :D