Just purchased a Hornady LNL AP Loader

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Winchester 70, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Winchester 70

Winchester 70 Member

Hey all,

I just picked up a Hornady LNL AP Loader today, and I have a few questions. I was wondering where would be the best place to purchase the EZ-Ject shell plates? I was also wondering what shell plate numbers I will need. I will be loading:

45 LC
    38 Special and +P
    40 S&W
    9 MM
    7MM Rem Mag
    223 Remington

I have been reloading with an old Lyman Turret Press.

I am looking forward to getting this set up.

Thanks for your help!
    John
  2. Waldog

Waldog Member

Your shell plate numbers are listed in your LNL instruction manual. I usually buy my loading stuff from www.grafs.com. Their prices are good and shipping/handling is only $4.95. MidwayUSA shipping is about TRIPLE!

I have loaded THOUSANDS of rounds with my LNL. It's a great press!!!
  3. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

Congrats, I too just dove into the LNL world a few months ago, what a treat! Make sure and watch the included video several times and degrease the bejesus out of the powder measure. Enjoy!

I found shell plates and dies on Amazon.com for really cheap, its best just to search the internet and go with the best deal that comes up. Here's a link to reference your shell plate numbers...... http://www.hornady.com/store/Shell-Holders-and-Shell-Plates/
  4. Winchester 70

Winchester 70 Member

Thanks for the help! I truly appreciate the info.

John
  5. dmh

dmh New Member

sorry to derail a bit but .. I've been paying midway an arm and leg for shipping for months and months, dang I wish I knew earlier!! do you know if grafs have worthwhile dealer rates for FFL holders?
  6. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

Let me know how much u spend on the setup.(if you dont mind me asking) I am looking to do the same as well. I started out on the Lee "O" press the "C" press. Now on the Lymans T-Mag II press. They have been good presses but i looking to speed up a bit. I will keep the other presses just for that rainy day. Have fun :)
  7. Winchester 70

Winchester 70 Member

Gun Nut, The press was $399.99 at Cabelas. Plus you get 500 bullets (free) but you have to pay $14.95 for shipping and Handling. The cheapest I have found the shell plates so far has been $29.99 each. I reload for my sons too, so I am going to have them pony up for the shell plates :D

hth,
    John
  8. gary0529

gary0529 Member

Just a quick suggestion if you get the shellplates on "fleabay".
    Be sure they are the newer EZ-ject type not the older spring clipped ejector.
    If they don't say either ask or pass.

Since my LNL is an older on it came with the infamous spring wire ejector and as soon as the upgrade was available I got it and have never looked back.

Gary
  9. Winchester 70

Winchester 70 Member

Gary,

Thanks for that info!

John
  10. noylj

noylj Member

Be sure that any shellplates are actually new EZject plates.
    MidwayUSA, Graf and Son, Natchez, etc.
  11. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

gun-nut

I just moved up from the Lyman Tmag myself, Grafs was the best deal, it was $389 and free shipping for the Hornady LNL. I then sold my T-mag on E bay for $150. The kicker was the 500 185gr xtp's for the 45 I picked and that was well over $100 in bullets right there. How can you lose, a couple hundred and you are in reloading heaven, at least I am - what a machine, and no I don't work for Hornady, I am seriously this thrilled about the LNL progressive press and equally thrilled with their customer service.
    You already have dies you wont need anything else but the shellplates for each caliber you use (about $30 each). The LNL kit had some nice surprises I was not aware of either -it came with two powder measure metering inserts one for pistol and one for rifle, if you think the Lyman #55 throws accurate charges wait til you see the Hornady PM, it throws within 1/10 gr charges all day long, lastly it came with 5 die bushings and they are simply a superior design for very rapid caliber changes - less than 2 minutes.
    Oh forgot to mention every machine is warrantied for life, sound familiar?
  12. Winchester 70

Winchester 70 Member

312 Shooter, Thanks for the Mini Review. I am really looking forward to using it now. I just ordered a shell plate for .45 LC from Amazon.Com and I should have it in a couple of days.

Thanks again for the help!
    John