just put a full length guide rod in my rock island

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ivarr, Sep 6, 2009.

1. ivarr

ivarr New Member

nice noticeable addition of weight in the forward end.
    10 minutes of careful work with a file and it was fitting perfectly.
    haven't shot it yet
    next order ( maybe in about a month ) is an ed brown match barrel and bushing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  2. crockett007

crockett007 New Member

You shouldn't be filing anything installing a guide rod. What did you "file" and why?
  3. ivarr

ivarr New Member

the new one on the left was just a bit wide to move smoothly in my slide

[​IMG]
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Having to fit a guide rod seems a bit strange. I'm wondering if the new guide rod was out of spec or maybe the inside of the slide ? Did you check both with a micrometer ?

Secondly, you may want to fit a match barrel bushing before installing a match barrel just to see the difference. Also, fitting a slide stop and correct link pin will help with accuracy. You could be surprised depending on the barrel specs. :)

Keep us posted on the progress.
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I bougth a Rock Island 45ACP just to get the frame for my Marvel 22LR Conversion Unit No. 1 (Probably the most accurate 22 combination I own!). I literally replaced all the internals to try to make the trigger to kill for and it worked. Left with a 45ACP top end I tried to sell those pieces but no bites so I made it just a project gun. I decided to make a top end that looked like a 1911 Bullseye gun of the 1950/60's with the Bomar rib and sights. Here's what I found out about RI frames and slides:

All 1911 better trigger parts dropped right into the RI frame EXCEPT the safety. I had to rework the working surfaces with files and grinding to get it to work properly. I started with the RI safety which I ruined in my efforts to make it work then progressed onto an after market one which I eventually modified enough to get to work. The trigger with the after market parts and some stoning is light and excellent in feel. It compliments the Marvel 22LR Conversion Unit No. 1 perfectly, but no 1911 trigger will match the trigger in my S&W Model 41.

For the slide I drilled and tapped it for the Bomar rib (Apparently Bomar is now out of business???). I replaced the spring guide with Dwyer Group Gripper, and their special link, that has an internal spring in the guide that forces the barrel up and into the same position inside the slide with every shot. It guarantees the barrel and slide have exactly the same relative positions with every shot. I fitted a bushing to the barrel and slide. The end result is a 1911 that shoots very accurately, has a great trigger, and has easy to use good target sights.

So I ended up with a great frame for the conversion unit and a 45 ACP Bulleye looking gun that shoots great. But there were a few challenges along the way. The above reported safety fitting problem and when I tried to use a buffer on the spring guide, it held the slide slightly out of battery a small amount. It is not the guide rod or buffer as I have that same set of parts in my Colt Delta Elite (10 mm) and all is well there.

RI guns are apparently not exact Mil Spec copies of the 1911 but work fine with all their own parts (my son-in-laws RI bought at the same time works fine without modifications in stock form). But the safety and the fact that it would not accept the buffer are the only issues I found. The 45ACP Bullseye gun shoots better than it did in stock form (I attribute that to the Group gripper as I have installed the same Group gripper and new fitted bushing in my Colt Delta Elite and its accuracy increase by 30%).

Rock Island 1911's are inexpensive nearly Mil Sped 1911's that can be really accurate if tuned accordingly. Slight difference between the real 1911 and the Rock Island gun are minimal.

LDBennett
  6. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Well that awnsered damn near all my questions about modding a RI with aftermarket parts. OUTSTANDING.
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Big ugly said:

"answered damn near all my questions"

Oh, I missed an area? :-0 :)

LDBennett
  8. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Yeah I am planning a purchase of a RI and I am thinking of a 460 rowland conversion.