just signed up

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by guns4life, Oct 6, 2009.

1. guns4life

guns4life New Member

Hello to all from south carolina. was lookin for some info on a caliber and came across this site. well here goes. any one know of a good re-load recipe for a 6.5 x55 with a 120 grain bullet. also did remington make this caliber in their 700 line thanks guns4life . If ever a time should come when vain and aspiring men shall posses the highest seats in goverment our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin SAMUEL ADAMS 1776
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Welcome to the forum. There are lots of people that can answer your question, they'll be along shortly!
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF, I don't reload the swede, but I'm sure you'll find someone here that could recommend a powder that they like. How long have you been reloading? What press do have? You'll find some good folks here, hope you enjoy!
  4. guns4life

guns4life New Member

Been reloading about 6 mths. have heard you can reload the 6.5 hotter than the factory load calls for but didnt know how much i could safely go with . any help would be appreciated . have a lee press found them to be a lil better than the rcbs .(personal opinion though) guns 4 life All that is necessary for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing Edmund Burke
  5. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Welcome from Ct.
  6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I would say that if you have a good accurate recipe currently, then there is no need to tempt fate and try something out of the recommended range for any particular round. 99.99999% of the time there is no need to push past the envelope of safety; Most all of my best performing loads have been no where near max listed charges. If you work the round up from the minimums and keep an eye on any signs of overpressure, I think you'll find the best performance for your rifle, any "hotter" than that and you'll be wasting powder, performance and margin of safety.

Too me it's not so much as what "everyone" says, its what they don't say...... if they have taken the time and very careful steps to document and progress the load for THEIR rifle, then it's for their rifle only.

If it's just someone "off the cuff" saying that a round can be loaded hotter, then its just a bunch of worthless hot air from someone who IMO really has no concept of safety when it comes to reloading. To just put "HOT" info out there for others is pretty irresponsible from my perspective.
  7. guns4life

guns4life New Member

am currently using 37 grains of imr 4064 and was considering going to 40 grains this deer season because of hearing the 6.5 has had some problems with penetration on large animals so far all i have tried it on is coyotes and it really does a number on them guns4life quantity is no substite for accuracy
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The 6.5 swede is a very accurate round especially when fired from a well tuned gustav mauser. There is not a need to hot rod the cartridge, just work up a load with a good bullet. something bonded core or a Barnes X.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Check the link, I trust you will find its information sufficient. All of the listed SP bullet loads should do well on deer;)
  9. guns4life

guns4life New Member

thanks jla it said the max load was 40 grains with imr 4064 greatly appreciated
  10. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

guns4life, Welcome to the Forum. I don't load the 6.5X55 either but just curious - What reloading manuals do you use.

The Lyman #49 has several loads for a 120 grain bullet. The Lyman manual also says that the max load for IMR 4064 is 40.0 grains. I don't think I would go over that.

The Hornady manual does not show listings for a 120 grain bullet.
  11. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Welcome to The Firearms Forum.
  12. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Another "Welcome to TFF" from me too! Glad to see another Swede fan!
    For starters, what rifle are you loading for?

I don't usually load the 120gr in my 6.5x55s.
    I've got a couple boxes of 120s laying on the bench but haven't done any real serious loading/testing with em yet.
    I've had better results with 140gr in both my old Gustaf swedes and my CZ550 so I have stuck with that bullet weight.

For 120gr data, I'm using the Speer manual...IMR4350 @ 43.0min to 47.0max.
    NOTE: The Speer data is for a modern rifle so drop the max load by 1.0gr if you're loading an old Mauser or Krag!
    I'm still putzing around with 44.0grs of IMR4350 (to keep things mild for my old Gustafs).
    IMR4064 would be a good powder choice too.

As for the penetration on deer-sized critters...
    Try the 140gr. The sectional density and retained energy is much better than the 120gr...and the trajectory isn't that much worse. I have yet failed to stop a deer with the 6.5x55/140gr and I stick with mild loads.
    If you've got BIG deer, consider the old-fashioned 160gr round nose. That load is just about "the standard" in Scandinavia as the .270 or .30-06 is over here. The 160gr has been used on Moose and their Red Deer (about the size of an Elk here in the states) successfully for years.
    Don't get too concerned with making the Swede a hot-rod flat shooter...
    Stick with a heavier bullet, get to know the trajectory of the load you work up, and let that high sectional density number work it's magic.

Remington did chamber their 700 Classic in 6.5x55 in 1994. The Classics are a one-caliber-per-year limited run. BUT...they must've sold the heck out of the '94 model because I've seen quite a few of em out there.
    I haven't been able to find one for sale yet though...a friend of mine has one and I want one too! :D
    They never did offer the caliber as a regular production 700 chambering.

As for other modern rifles in that cartridge...
    Ruger offered their M77 in 6.5x55
    The CZ550 is still available in the caliber too.
    I'm not positive if Winchester or Savage ever chambered that cartridge.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  13. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Glad to have you at TFF. :)
  14. guns4life

guns4life New Member

Thanks for all the welcomes and info. Hats off to all who make this such a great web site . Bindernut thanks for all your info too. am loading for a sporterized kimber gustav that i picked up in a pawn shop for 200.00. First time i had shot a 6.5x55 and i never looked back love it . but lets not tell everyone so if I run across that remington it will still be affordable .Also am using a hodgdon manual for my reloads thanks again to all GUNS4LIFE
  15. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Those Kimber of Clackamas (an odd name since the company was never based out of Clackamas) sporterized Swedes are pretty good rifles...they were being put together when the cream of the crop was available for surplus '96s.
    Every one I've seen that kept the original 6.5x55 barrel was a numbers matching rifle that probably would've been considered a "Very Good" or better rifle if it had been left original. Some of them were built from surplus barreled actions minus the original stocks, and some with not-so-good barrels got rebarreled to other calibers too.
    They're still a nearly 100 year old '96 action though so always remember to keep the loads on the mild side.

The old Gustaf swedes (I own two and my friend with the Classic has another two) have really liked the Remington bulk 140gr Core-Lokt bullet. Cheap and they've been good performers for us out of the original barrels.
    The Hornady 140gr is another good performer as is their 129gr. I haven't tried any Barnes or other premium bullets in any of my Swedes yet...but I plan to try em in my CZ someday.

You're far enough away from me that I'm sure we won't wind up in a bidding battle on a '94 700 Classic...I don't buy online so I'm still hunting locally.
    Good luck in your search!!!

If you're interested in a non-Remington modern rifle in 6.5x55, I can strongly recommend the CZ550. I picked one up a couple years ago and am very impressed with the quality and accuracy for the pricetag...besides the fact that I prefer the Mauser-style action over the Savage or Remington (that's just me though...they're all good! :)). The CZ comes with a very nice adjustable single-set trigger that is very good right out of the box but with a little tuning is even better.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  16. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I second the CZ550s. I have a .308 full manlicher stock, and the trigger... whooo weee, great rifles.:)