Just sold my CCW, any replacement suggestions??

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by MichaelM, Mar 23, 2010.

1. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

Hey all,
    Just sold my Glock 19 carry weapon. Didn't intend on selling but was offered more than i paid for it and couldn't resist. Looking for a replacement, only calibers i will consider are either 9mm or .45acp.

Heres what i've kinda broke it down to: Kimber Ultra Carry 2 or Stainless Ultra Carry 2 or maybe kahr K9.

I like the 1911 platform, i have a kimber tactical Entry 2, but not sure how well the 3" models perform and conceal.

My wife has a kahr CW9 and i really like the size for carry.

Any suggestions for other guns or experience with the ones i mentioned would be appredciated!

Mike
  2. Danwin22

Danwin22 Member

Michael,

I've decided to get the new Ruger SR9-C which is a compact version of the SR9.

There are plenty of great 9mm compact autos but this Ruger is getting fantastic reviews and it looks and functions great.

Check it out if you can, tremendous value.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  3. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

Kimber makes some nice 1911s for CCW. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Kimber because of the prices. I would really suggest the Springfield EMP 1911 for a CCW. Try out the XD too. Lots of people highly recommend them.
  4. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

I really like the EMP but its way out of the price range is was looking at. really nice little gun though.
  5. marcodelat

marcodelat Member

Ever consider a milsurp CZ (vz) 82 ?

Can be carried in condition 2"... like a 1911

"Research" it... you'll find out some great things said about these...

... and the best part is that right now they can be had for right around $200! :)
  6. pythonshooter

pythonshooter New Member

Don't tell my other (far more expensive) guns, but the handgun I find myself carrying most often these days is a six-shot magnesium framed Taurus .38 special. It only cost $350 (New!) but it shoots straight and very easy to carry. It does not handle .38 +P's, but I can live with that given some of the high quality HP's out there these days.

Occasionally, I carry a Springfield .45 XD. This is just about the most comfortable .45 ACP to carry and at 13 +1 rounds, it can throw a hell of a lot of lead.

For the most part, I prefer a revolver and I think most people would be better served by a revolver. The fact is I have never been in combat, have never been in a gunfight, never even been in all that serious a fight. Were I suddenly faced with a life and death situation, I'd like to think that I would handle it like Jethro Gibbs. Since I don't know this, however, I want a relatively simple handgun that I know will go "boom" when I pull the trigger.
    A revolver (generally) fits my needs best, and the Springfield is about a fool-proof as you can get in a semi-auto (I know a Glock is simpler, but I feel better having that grip safety).

Don't just rule out revolvers out of hand. A lot of the best informed shooters I know carry .38's.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

If youre after a 1911 design then the Springfield EMP in 9mm is the way to go. If you want the .45 look for a Springfield ultra compact. Good choices both of them. If you miss your glocks look and feel but want to pocket some of that extra cash, snag a springfield XD subcompact in either caliber. Either way you cant go wrong;)
  8. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

If you like glock, the 37s are cheap now and shoot 45 G.A.P. I have found all the ammo I need, 200 rounds of a target and 120 rounds of self defense ammo with realitive ease. The gun was 379 delivered and $180 for the ammo here locally. The money I saved from the 45 acp version glock more that paid for the ammo. I am very happy with the deal. Buds gun shop in lexington, Ky had the best deal on them.
  9. bob1010

bob1010 New Member

Why only 9mm or 45acp? Personally I love the 40s&w myself. I have one of the CW40 Kahrs and it shoots great. It has a great feel and size and the 40 has better capabilities for self defense than 9's. Just something to think about. There are so many great guns out there. Just giving you one more option to have to think about.
  10. MichaelM

MichaelM New Member

I have nothing against the .40 its just that i have cabinets full of 9mm and .45acp ammo and reloading dies for those calibers since these are the only chambered guns i've had for the past few years.
  11. Dougspop

Dougspop New Member

I carry a Springfield XD Sub Compact 9mm in a crossbreed super tuck and really like it.
  12. EL TORO

EL TORO New Member

Take a look at the CZ 2075 RAMI. Stay away from the 40 though, it's always has issues, but the 9mm is a solid, reliable and compact pistol..comes with a 10 rd mag and a 14 rd mag with grip filler. Even with 14 rd mag, it's not a big as the 19 was.

Taurus PT909 is another that holds 17+1 in a 19 size gun.
  13. Freedom road

Freedom road New Member

Try a Walther p99c or glock 23 both are great in 0.40 I personally never liked 9mm, but that's just me. My p99c has the smoothest trigger outside of custom that I have shot. Very consistent, as trigger with decocker.
  14. Freedom road

Freedom road New Member

I looked at a cz yesterday, they look great but it was very heavy. Not sure if that is a consideration.
  15. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

Try the polymer framed CZ pistols. The metal frame are hard to beat for accuracy and recoil mitigation, but the polymer framed do much the same with less weight.