just some machine-gun pics

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by Zigzag2, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

rayra
    (8/16/01 9:56:38 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All

just some machine-gun pics
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    laid up at home recovering from a massive hand injury, took the time to clean up about 12-13yrs worth of photos, dug out some from my Marine service.
    Figured this audience would enjoy them the most

This shot is around 1990, in the Delta Corridor portion of MCAGCC 29 Palms

small to large, left to right, SAW, M60, M2-.50cal. And a whole lot of empty brass / links.
    When you check out military ordinance for exercises (bullets, grenades, arty rounds, doesn't matter what), you have to use it all up, can't turn it back in.
    If you can believe it, 120 marines were too tired to shoot it all. 8-man detail got to sit there the rest of the afternoon, hosing down the range.

have a couple more I'm scanning, will be up shortly.

Rich

Edited by: rayra at: 8/16/01 11:01:29 pm

rayra
    (8/16/01 10:03:45 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Re: just some machine-gun pics
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's another, taken in that garden spot of the midwest, Ft. Sill, OK, at the 'Home of Field Artillery'.

Not quite 'stack arms', but they're out of the dirt

Rich

rayra
    (8/16/01 10:13:06 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

and this is lovely scene is when our unit training officer suggested that the platoons compete in a .50cal relay - tear it down, move it 100yds, full setup (including headspacing).

3-man gun team, sprinting in 98-degree, 80% humidity, hauling 160 lbs (170? 180?) of hot steel. Joy.

Rich

reedbuster
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/21/01 12:05:33 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: just some machine-gun pics
    Rayra, I left the stumps in 89 after four lovely years, I was a radio Tech with the third AAV's. Man what a base, 938 sq miles of live fire, I feel lucky to have been stationed there, My M16 never saw a bfa and our gunner would encourage us to shoot everytime we were in the field and go and partipicate with the other units. Delta Co. was a small reinforced Co. most of the time the command vehics were farmed out to third tanks and they would bring thier own techs. My radio chief and myself would go 'volunteer' at other units. I got to shoot every weapon the corps had except a tow missle. Pretty soon some of the third tank co commanders would be pissed off if we didn't come and play, man, I miss those days.
    "Arm yourselves, and be ye men of valour, and be in readiness for the conflict; for it is better for us to perish in battle than to look upon the outrage of our nation and our altar." Churchill - May 19, 1940, London.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (9/23/01 8:16:15 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Outstanding Ray!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/28/01 12:14:00 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: just some machine-gun pics
    Reedbuster -

'87-'94 (busted my knee, got out early)

2/11, then 5/14, shooting 155mm towed, SP, and 8in/203mm SP Howitzers. The Stumps (29 Palms) was pretty much the only place we COULD shoot.
    Froze my ass off in the Winter, sweated it off in the Summer (look! I have no ass!).
    Only joy WAS blowing things up.

Speaking of Tanks, funniest damn thing I saw was during a CAX, our HQ Btry was moving through a FARP, along with / behind an Abrahms unit.
    You're supposed to stay a couple hundred feet back from the Fueling point when it's in use, but one of my LCpls kept edging his HUMVEE a little closer, a little closer.
    Eventually he got so close that the several-hundred-degree turbine exhaust from the tank caused his HUMMER's fiberglass hood to melt / slump!
    And you better believe the good ol' USMC made him pay ($$) for it, too.

TAC - I got a million of'em. Discovered 'Tourism' after I got in the Reserves, a generic Kodak 110 camera is almost exactly the same size as an M-16 magazine, and it nestles quite nicely in the middle portion of an ammo pouch.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (9/29/01 12:17:06 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del

Exellent Ray, post'em my friend, the more the better!

Tac
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator