1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Just starting:Need HELP with Dies

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by ken2925, Oct 10, 2011.

1. ken2925

ken2925 New Member

Hello Folks, I'm just starting and have cleaned my brass in the tumbler.This is my once fired brass. My first reloads will be .45acp ammo. I have the 4 piece Lee Deluxe pistol die set. I have read the instructions but I need more help. Are all the Die Lock Rings factory set? I have the Lyman turret press and I want to set up that turret for just .45's. I appreciate any and all help. KC.
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    First welcome to the forum! The dies do not come pre-set from the factory. Read the pamphlet that came with the dies, they explain how to set them up. Good luck with your new hoby, it's not hard, just go slow!
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

IIRC you want to run the decapping die all the way down until it reaches the shellholder and then back it out the thickness of two nickels. This should resize .45 ACP brass to fit any firearm. Be aware that some trial-and-error is always part of setting up reloading dies the first time.

Good luck. .45 ACP is a good round to start with.
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

ken2925:

While advice given here might be good (or bad?), read the instructions that come with the dies. They tell the right way to set up the dies according to the manufacturer who made the dies. While there can be deviations from the instructions, a new reloader needs to start with the instructions.

LDBennett
  5. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

I agree with this... that being said you may be able to find videos directly from LEE that shows the process online.
  6. mikld

mikld Active Member

Besides the manufacturer's instructions (Yes, real men read instructions!), The ABCs of Reloading has info on die set-up...
  7. ken2925

ken2925 New Member

Thanks folks, KC.
  8. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

In addition to previous great advice; I use the simple rule that may help you visualize the process better. When setting up dies, always back them off and set the die BODY first. This is Always your reference point. There isn't a die set yet that I have seen in which you adjust the seater, sizer or other "inner" adjustment first; back it well out and do one step at a time with the instructions. You'll have it down in no time.