Justice Roy Moore Fired

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by Zigzag2, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (Nov. 13) -- Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore was removed from office Thursday for refusing to obey a federal court order to move his Ten Commandments monument from the rotunda of the state courthouse.

The state Court of the Judiciary unanimously imposed the harshest penalty possible after a one-day trial in which Moore said his refusal was a moral and lawful acknowledgment of God. Prosecutors said Moore's defiance, left unchecked, would harm the judicial system.

Moore, a champion of religious conservatives, had been suspended since August but was allowed to collect his $170,000 annual salary. He was halfway through his six-year term.

Speaking immediately after the decision, a defiant Moore told supporters he had only acknowledged God as is done in other official procedures and documents.

''I have absolutely no regrets. I have done what I was sworn to do,'' he said, drawing applause.

''It's about whether or not you can acknowledge God as a source of our law and our liberty. That's all I've done. I've been found guilty,'' he said.

Moore said he had consulted with his attorneys and with political and religious leaders and would make an announcement next week which he said ''could alter the course of this country.'' He did not elaborate. He could appeal to the Alabama Supreme Court.

Under Thursday's decision, the governor will appoint someone to serve the rest of Moore's term, which expires in 2006.

Presiding Judge William Thompson said the nine-member court had no choice in its decision after Moore willfully and publicly ignored the federal court order. ''The chief justice placed himself above the law,'' Thompson said.

A federal judge had ruled the monument was an unconstitutional promotion of religion by the government. A federal appeals court upheld the ruling, and the U.S. Supreme Court refused to hear Moore's appeal. The monument eventually was rolled to a storage room on instructions from the eight associate justices.

The Judicial Inquiry Commission filed the complaint about Moore's defiance with the Court of the Judiciary, an ad hoc panel of judges, lawyers and others appointed variously by judges, legal leaders and the governor and lieutenant governor.

On Thursday Moore said he had no animosity toward the court. But, he said, unless the states stand up, ''public acknowledgment of God will be taken from us. In God we trust will be taken from our money and one nation under God from our pledge.''

Greg Sealy, head of the Sitting at His Feet Fellowship in Montgomery, an inner-city mission, said it was the ''darkest day'' he has seen in America since he moved to the United States from Barbados 23 years ago.

''They stole my vote. The judiciary stole my vote. I voted for Roy Moore,'' he said.

The prosecutor, Attorney General Bill Pryor, on Wednesday termed Moore's defiance ''utterly unrepentant behavior'' that warranted removal from office.

The chief justice testified he was fulfilling his duties and promises to voters when he refused to follow the court order.
    Moore, 56, testified that he followed his conscience and did nothing to violate judicial ethics.

''To acknowledge God cannot be a violation of the Canons of Ethics. Without God there can be no ethics,'' Moore testified.

He had also reiterated his stance that, given another chance to fulfill the court order, he again would refuse to do so. When one panelist, Circuit Judge J. Scott Vowell of Birmingham, asked Moore what he would do with the monument if he were returned to office, the chief justice said he had not decided, but added: ''I certainly wouldn't leave it in a closet, shrouded from the public.''

In closing arguments, Assistant Attorney General John Gibbs said Moore's public refusal to obey a court order ''undercuts the entire workings of the judicial system.''

''What message does that send to the public, to other litigants? The message it sends is: If you don't like a court order, you don't have to follow it,'' he said.

It was as a circuit court judge in Gadsden in the 1990s that Moore became known as the ''Ten Commandments Judge,'' after he was sued by the American Civil Liberties Union for opening court sessions with prayer and for displaying a hand carved Ten Commandments display behind his bench.

He said Wednesday that when he ran for chief justice in 2000, his entire campaign was based on ''restoring the moral foundation of law.'' He added that it took him eight months to personally design the monument, which he helped move into the judicial building in the middle of the night on July 31, 2001.

Jones asked Moore why he didn't just go ahead and move the monument as Thompson ordered.

''It would have violated my conscience, violated my oath of office and violated every rule of law I had sworn to uphold,'' Moore said.
  2. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

it's a sad day folks... :(
  3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I wouldn't say, "Fired!", Rick.

Technically, the people hired Roy when they elected him; it would take the people to fire him.....
  4. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

That was AOL's heading Marlin, along with,

"Thou Shalt Not Keep Your Job" ...

Go figure! :mad:
  5. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

It is really scary to me, the way people in this country are turning against Christianity. I never in my wildest dreams thought that it would be so dangerous to be an outspoken Christian. I remember my mother (an ordained Methodist minister) reading me stories when I was a child from Revelations, about how in the end days Christians would be persecuted. But I figured they were just stories. Little did I know...

I heard on the radio this morning that the schools are allowed to put up a Jewish Menorah in the school, as well as Muslim religious holiday decorations. But Christians are not allowed to put up a nativity scene display.

Are we at the beginning of the end? Are we seeing the signs of the true holocaust? With the way this world is going, I'm starting to think so. Right now, it's very unpopular to be a Christian in certain places. And we're seeing the opening salvos of legal actions against people for promoting Christianity. It won't be much longer until we're being persecuted in full force.
  6. keppler

keppler New Member

What ever happened to " By the people, for the people" ?
  7. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Roy never minced any words. The fight was NOT specifically the Ten Commandments, but, rather, Constitutional law and States Rights, the basic right granted by the Constitution for the states to handle EVERYTHING not specifically delegated to the Federal folks.

This is only further sign that the Constitution of the United States is under constant attack, and, for the time being, it appears successful on the part of those who would destroy us. This is the very point we have been trying to make on the Forum about the importance of our being active and getting into the fight to save the Republic.
  8. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok Member

Roy Moore wasn't "fired" for not removing the Commandments, but rather for disobeying a court order to remove the monument. When he was ordered to remove it, he more or less said....Naaaa, I don't like that, I'm not going to do it. If Moore ordered someone in his coutroom to say go to counceling, and that person said he wasn't going to go, that person could be held in contempt of court and possibly face jail time. So if a judge is held in contempt of court for not following a ruling, is this judge above the law? Regardless of what he was standing up for, I think he went about it the wrong way. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying the Ten Commandments can't or shouldn't be displayed, but the law is the law and Roy Moore broke the law so he should face the concequences.
  9. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

The point Judge Moore was trying to make was that the court didn't have the authority to tell him to remove the monument. He didn't break the law; the court broke the law by stepping beyond their authority and making a ruling that they had no right to make.
  10. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Right, SM. Roy Moore didn't break a law. He decided to ignore an order by the court which overstepped its bounds. There is no basis in law for them to tell him to remove that display, and even less for them to remove him from office over it.

This is a clear case of judges thinking they can make up the law as they go along, and force others to abide by it.
  11. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

If it were all that simple, there would not be a problem in the 1st place.

Fired?, call it what you like but, Judge Roy is without a job and factors are wanting him disbarred.

IMO, Roy did break the law... what law?
    He disobeyed the courts ruling, and the outcome of it was/is no different than for anyone else.

Now the court stands accoutable...

I hope and pray, he's victourios if/when he appeals.
  12. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Since when is a random court ruling equal to law?

If a judge decides that it's illegal to wear pants, are they going to arrest me for it?

A judge's decision has to be based on current written law. They can't just make up the law as they go along.
  13. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

it's about accountability, will the means justify the end?

This is what I'm waiting with baited breath to see...

and yep, if you are told by a court of law not to wear pants, and do, you too may find yourself locked-up. Or they may give you an option, something other than pants, where if you agree to the option and then wear pants... opppssss locked-up again. hehehe :D

in other words, bureaucracy!
  14. frosty

frosty New Member

I liked what SoMo said.

In this country there are countless hundreds of thousands of individuals who are not Christian. They have come to this country to have the freedom to follow their religion as they please with out the Govt. stepping on their beliefs. They like being in a country that will uphold the law even if it upsets people. The checks and balances system is at work here. I like to see it working for all of us to keep the playing field even. If one form of belief gains the upper hand then the rest must push harder.

Fairness is the order of the day...........our country is made up of all nations and peoples.......respect one another and peace will be kept.
  15. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok Member

If Roy Moore had just taken the monument down and gone about it another way he would still be employed and this wouldn't have gotten to the point it has now. I applaud the man for standing up for what he believes in, but when you get a court order to do something and you refuse to do so....well then you suffer the consequences I reckon. He could have gone about his appeals a more "legal" ( for lack of a better word ) way. By the way, the taxpaying Alabamians, including myself, are now having to pay for his legal costs :mad: . If he wants to fight it, let him pay for it.