K98 Rifle question

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by JPHobbit72, Nov 11, 2012.

1. JPHobbit72

JPHobbit72 New Member

Folks I have a Mauser K98 Preduzece 44 rifle. from what I've been able to find on this rifle is it is a K98 German Mauser that was reconditioned by Yugoslavia. but how do I determine when it was originally made? reason I ask is found a number of forums with data on rifles but separated by WHEN rifle was made and I'm trying to determine some shooting issues I'm having? when shooting 8mm Prvi-Partizan 196gr SP ammo rounds hit low and left while the military FMJ (unknown brand/gr?) shoots high which seems to be the norm from what I've read? Any ideas?
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Most likely your rifle was made prior to 1934. Judging by your description of sighting discrepancy the reason it shoots low with the heavier 196 gr ammunition is becaise its sights are set up for 7.92X57m Mauser S Patrone 1905 pattern military ammo. Which was a 153 gr spitzer at 2880 fps. the 7.92X57mm Mauser s.S. Patrone 1934 pattern ammo was 197 gr spitzer at 2500 fps. Which is primarily the stuff our boys in WW2 went up against when we invaded.

If it was originally a german K98k then it should be stamped with a date code on the forward ring of the reciever. i.e. S42 or something similar and a bunch of Weimar eagles on every part..
  3. JPHobbit72

JPHobbit72 New Member

Thanks. good info to know. However as for markings looks like a "9 04"on left side of forward ring? Has the "PREDUZECE 44" on left side where barrel meets the bolt with a weird looking torch crest on top followed by the "Mod. 98" further back on left side. 6477 on right side and on magazine plate. 3801 on the bolt handle. did not see "bunch of Weimar eagles on every part" but looks two on right side of receiver next to the rear elevation sight? that sound right?
  4. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

Military Surplus ammo is inconsistant in Powder Charge and Bullet weight,,I didn,t get any decent groups until I loaded my own,,,Check with Midway they offer a Bold Brand Trigger for about 40.00 that requires no external Mods