Kalifornia couple told to stop Bible study

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by 45nut, May 29, 2009.

1. 45nut

45nut New Member

Article here

Couple: County Trying To Stop Home Bible Studies

POSTED: 5:31 pm PDT May 25, 2009
    UPDATED: 1:45 pm PDT May 28, 2009

SAN DIEGO -- A local pastor and his wife claim they were interrogated by a San Diego County official, who then threatened them with escalating fines if they continued to hold Bible studies in their home, 10News reported.

Attorney Dean Broyles of The Western Center For Law & Policy was shocked with what happened to the pastor and his wife.

Broyles said, "The county asked, 'Do you have a regular meeting in your home?' She said, 'Yes.' 'Do you say amen?' 'Yes.' 'Do you pray?' 'Yes.' 'Do you say praise the Lord?' 'Yes.'"

The county employee notified the couple that the small Bible study, with an average of 15 people attending, was in violation of County regulations, according to Broyles.

Broyles said a few days later the couple received a written warning that listed "unlawful use of land" and told them to "stop religious assembly or apply for a major use permit" -- a process that could cost tens of thousands of dollars.

"For churches and religious assemblies there's big parking concerns, there's environmental impact concerns when you have hundreds or thousands of people gathering. But this is a different situation, and we believe that the application of the religious assembly principles to this Bible study is certainly misplaced," said Broyles.

News of the case has rapidly spread across Internet blogs and has spurred various reactions.

Broyles said his clients have asked to stay anonymous until they give the county a demand letter that states by enforcing this regulation the county is violating their First Amendment right to freely exercise their religion.

Broyles also said this case has broader implications.

"If the county thinks they can shut down groups of 10 or 15 Christians meeting in a home, what about people who meet regularly at home for poker night? What about people who meet for Tupperware parties? What about people who are meeting to watch baseball games on a regular basis and support the Chargers?" Broyles asked.

Broyles and his clients plan to give the County their demand letter this week.

If the County refuses to release the pastor and his wife from obtaining the permit, they will consider a lawsuit in federal court.

I want to know what they're doing about OTHER religions meeting in homes, like say the I slams. Are they telling THEM they have to have a permit, or maybe making some Scientology wackos pay up? No. I can tell you it's to stop only one religion, CHRISTIANITY. Why you ask? If you're smart enough to load a .22 rimfire rifle, you certainly know the answer to that question. All religions are treated equally except Christianity because the truth will set you free.

Go ahead and tell me I'm wrong, but prove it with facts.
  2. Hardballer

Hardballer New Member

This is a chilling peek into the near future. Watch this one closely. With Obysmal giving the Black Panthers and Acorn a free ride, this only makes good sense.
  3. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Well of course they won't tell Muslims to get a permit because it might offend them:rolleyes: It's because Christians won't worship the new messiah.:mad::mad:
  4. alhefner

alhefner New Member

This is a case that has to be watched closely! If indeed, the entire premise is that people were meeting in a private home on a regular basis for religious study, then there are MAJOR problems.

What about homes where a regular weekend party is held? Is it ok for a home to host 20 or 30 drunks every week but against the law for a couple to host a meeting of 15 or 20 people to study the bible? Total and complete Bull Crap IMHO.
  5. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Other than the memebrs we have here from California there really isn't very much good to say about the place is there?

And worse yet California seems to set precident for the rest of the nation, or at least they try to.
  6. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

An attack on Freedom of speach, religon and assembly. That pretty much takes out most of the 1st ammendment. Let's see what happens when they petition govt. for redress of grievances. That's San Diego. Didn't they try with some degree of success to run off the Boy Scouts because the Scouts didn't want their members handed over to overtly homosexual scout leaders? Just can't wait to reap the benifits of the Hate Crimes legislation.
  7. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Christians know from the Bible that their persecution is coming some day and it appears to be sooner than later.
  8. 4EvrLearning

4EvrLearning New Member

Agreed. Church history is replete with persecution of the saints....we shall not escape, nor should we expect to. Some will pay the ultimate price...for the ultimate gain.
  9. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

Kind of stupid on part on the city officials. If they get "permits" to hold prayer meetings then they will lose that tax base as a source of income for that town. Morons.
  10. Ursus

Ursus New Member

Right on!!
  11. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

You town has noise ordinances. Every town/state has these.
  12. alhefner

alhefner New Member

I didn't see any mention of excessive noise nor did I mention noise complaints. What I pointed out was that the law is applied to those who meet for religious study but not to other reasons for assembly.
  13. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

I've got 2 neighbors that have parties almost every weekend and the only way i know it to
    see all the cars parked on street. I know there is drinking, but no noise. Would say these people are
    breaking the law by peaceful assembly.
    We've never seen real Christian persecution in this country, but it's coming.
  14. GMFWoodchuck

GMFWoodchuck New Member

That was in reference to the noisy parties, not the prayer group. Sorry.
  15. obxned

obxned New Member

Maybe the isn't a sign of the end of days, but it is a sign of the end of the USA.
  16. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

Churches support biblical principles. The missleaders in government do not. They will suport any and all perversions as long as it gives them power. The Church will continue to be attacked on all possible fronts in order to silence them. Right now the Catholic Church in Conn. is being attacked for lobying when Catholics go to Hartford to protest legislation they believe is wrong. These things are going on all over the country. Evangilicals are under constant attack especialy in the blue states. You can't get much bluer than southern Calif.
  17. ToolsForPros

ToolsForPros New Member

Not that im the hugest Christian, but last time I checked you could do what you wanted in your home, especially abide by the book from which the laws were based out of. Recursive logic is running rampant
  18. "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

--First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States :cool:
  19. sakeneko

sakeneko New Member

I suspect that the city is just desperate for money, trying to squeeze some out of a citizen it thought was too Christian to fight back. :/ I'm glad the citizen in question has more sense than to turn the other cheek in this particular case.
  20. 45nut

45nut New Member

Yeah, they like the First almost as much as the Second. What will the MSM do when Hussein clamps down on them and tells them what to say?? :mad: