Karl Pfestorf revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by RedMtn13, Dec 9, 2010.

1. RedMtn13

RedMtn13 New Member

Looking for alittle help on a Nazi "Karl Pfestorf" revolver. On the drum it has a eagle over an N stamp and on the top it has "Kal 6,35". In my internet searching I find very little info on this gun.

Thanks
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

:)The proof mark is indeed the National German Proof mark in use after April 1, 1940 ( and still used ), but a eagle over a N does not make it a Nazi gun:), It looks like a typical self defence type .25 ACP revolver made since the 1900's by every country in Europe ( Belgium did not have a monopoly on such guns ). I can't find Karl Pfestorf in any of my references but then again he may have just been the distributor. Based just on the proof mark it could have been made any time between 1940 and 1968. Do you have any background on it? What are the markings under the name, the pictures are not clear enough to read. If there are no " made in Germany " markings it was not made for export and could be a war time bring back, or it could have come back in the bottom of a duffel bag by some GI in the 1960's. It also looks like the cheap cast alloy metal that was used in very cheap guns made by such manufactures as Rohm and EM-GE.. however it does look more substantially made
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  3. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

4. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Karl Pfestorf was a gunmaker in the Zella-Mehlis region of Thuringen, Germany (the stamp reads 'Zella-Mehlis). Although Walther was also in this region there is no relation.

This is a German commercial revolver in the 6.35mm caliber made similarly to several British revolvers of the early 20th century, in the same time period.

Value is minimal due to condition and no real collector interest.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

FWIW, since both .25 ACP (6.35mm) and .32 ACP (7.65mm) are semi-rimmed, they were favorite cartridges for use in revolvers in Europe from the early 1900's up to WWII.

That gun is certainly of an old style, more like the guns of the 1890-1910 period than of 1919 when the company was founded. At some point, it was heavily rusted, then the rust removed, using a sander or a wire brush, the gun reblued, and new grips made.

Jim
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

I agree that this is the same type and lines of much eariler guns, but what is odd is the 1940 ( of after ) proof mark. Also the grey metal under the paint, on the receiver seems to indicate a Zinc type alloy ( the hammer and trigger gurad seem to be steel ) that was popular post war. But it is hard to tell from a photo. This may have been a post war attempt to generate some much needed capitol to rebuild the firm.
  7. RedMtn13

RedMtn13 New Member

I have very little history; I do know it was a war time bring back by my father-in-law in late 1945. The holster he put it in is probably worth more than the gun. But it has no marking so I have no idea what it was for.:(

Attached Files:

8. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

I don't think it's zinc alloy, just bad polishing and bluing.
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I don't think it is zinc alloy simply because of the evidence of rust.

The holster is obviously not for that revolver, as it has a magazine pouch.

Jim
  10. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

11. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

No disrespect but I doubt very seriously that a current foreign firm is going to research back thought 60 years of paper records just to answer a question on a obscure firearm that they may or may not have made, unless of course money is paid up front for the time spent doing so.:)
  12. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Sure, it's a long shot, but I did say "possibly" and it appears to be a fairly small concern passed down through the family...
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  13. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It should be noted that it was common in Germany for the retailer to put his name and address on guns he sold, even on used guns. So it is possible that Pfestorf did not actually manufacture that revolver, that the company sold (and possibly refinished) an older gun. If it were repaired or refinished, it might have needed to be re-proved.

Jim
  14. Redone

Redone New Member

I have one of these guns have some questions about it myself. Has a marking on the side of the gun and on the revolver.but i dont think its a letter but a #. Ill get my cam and put the pics up.Also to on top it says kal 7.65,and it ha a trigger that flips up.
  15. Redone

Redone New Member

waiting for cam