Katrina evacuees are evacuated again...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SouthernMoss, Sep 21, 2005.

1. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Wonder how they'll like Arkansas?
  2. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

they would rather be sent to New York they would fit in better, big city to big city :rolleyes:
  3. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Good riddance to 'em. Our hospitality has caused us nothing but trouble.
  4. berto64

berto64 Active Member

You mean slum to slum dontcha?
  5. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

bert I was trying to say it in a kind way ;)
  6. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Best way is to call a Spade ---

a Spade.
    When you're talking about scum - - -

Scum IS scum!!!!!!!!
  7. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Member

Marlin,
    I was wondering why these people are scum. Is it because they are homeless? Because they are poor? Or because most of them are Black? I also wonder if Jesus would have said the same thing. Had to ask!
    Huck
  8. SouthernMoss

It's not because they are homeless, it's not because they are poor, it's not because they are black. It's because they have NO MORALS, no regard for human rights or dignity, they think the government OWES them just for existing. They WILL NOT work, they have no manners, and their attitude is such that they'd just as soon spit on you as look at you. They don't thank you when you give them their free stuff; instead they complain about what they've received, because it's not good enough.

One of the hotels here in town is pulling out of the FEMA program. They are at 100% capacity and are guaranteed reimbursement for the rooms that evacuees are staying in. So why would they give up a sure thing? Because the evacuees are trashing the hotel. They are loud, they start fights, they steal everything in the room then complain that things are missing, they destroy the furnishings. It's going to cost the hotel more in replacement supplies and repairs to the rooms than they are making with their 100% occupancy.
  9. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

Same thing is happening with the cruise ships that FEMA has them staying in. Those nice luxury accommodation are being trashed by the NOLA evacuees.

Add to that the fact that crime rates have skyrocketed in areas near the shelters. At least, here in Texas they have. Neighborhoods near convention centers and coliseums that were always considered "safe" are now seeing drugs being sold on their streets, houses broken into, etc.

Just last week, or the week before, I read a story about a girl that was chased by one of these people who was hanging out in her neighborhood and tried to sexually assault her. Fortunately, she escaped and called 911. The guy was arrested.

This certainly isn't to say that ALL of them are bad people or criminals. But I tell you what, Huck Finn, If we were to plop 10,000 of these people on your doorstep you'd be saying the same thing.
  10. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Member

Sniper,
    I agree, I wouldn't be happy if that many people (good OR bad)were dumped in my town either. No argument there! I just think Marlin was painting all the reugees with a pretty broad brush. I just put myself in their place. I own a home, I work, I do all the right stuff. Now if my town were wiped out, like theirs was. I'd be stuck in a shelter with the rest of the evacuees. I would like nothing better than to return to my home & to going back to work. But, as far as I know, no one is being allowed back in N.O. and when they are, they probably won't have a home or job to go back to. I'm not even sure that I would have had the time to grab my ID before I left, so I probably wouldn't even have access to my bank accounts, so I couldn't even buy my way out of the shelter.
    I'm sure N.O. has it's share of professional welfare families, just as I am sure that there's a lot of decent, hardworking families in those shelters. I think it was unfair to call the good people there scum. That's all. I also feel bad for the people who live near the shelter who are having their lives turned up side down by the scum that are commiting crimes against the people who are trying to help them. Those people are scum, but we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath scum.
    Huck
  11. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

SouthernMoss, you wrote the post I was going to.
  12. SouthernMoss

Huck, I think you misinterpreted Marlin's post. He's not saying that all evacuees are scum. He's saying that for those who ARE scum, let's not tippy-toe around it, let's lay the facts on the line.
  13. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Maybe Huck will be kind enough to come down here and voluteer to help in Reunion Arena and learn first hand of what we speak. Huck, I guarantee that you will go home with your head hung low mumbling "I didn't know, I just could not imagine they could be that way, this is unbelieveable!!!!".

Then lets see what you think. It would take only a day or two. You speak the speak, but can you walk the walk? I highly doubt it!

They are seeing the refugees here take the $2,000 debit cards and running out buying Louis Vitton bags and high end clothes with abandon. Then coming back and asking for food and shelter. Can you imagine??????????????

Some are going out buying luxury cars using the $2,000 as down payments on Lexus and other luxury cars. I do not look kindly on this, but maybe they will head the hell back to Louisiana and out of Texas. Enough is enough! Send the scum home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would gladly pay for a Greyhound bus ticket just to get rid of them.

Now what ya say, Huck Finn? When are you coming down to add to our misery or help your poor people out???????????????????
  14. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Member

...hundreds of weary evacuees who had been transported from hellish circumstances in Louisiana to shelters in Houston over the last three weeks faced a new trek.

Officials said they planned to close down the shelter at the Reliant Center — Houston's largest temporary facility for Katrina evacuees — and transfer people to Ft. Chaffee, Ark., before Rita's approach.

Many of the 976 evacuees who remained at the Reliant Center had begun their journeys at the Superdome in New Orleans, were airlifted to Houston's Astrodome, shifted to the Reliant Center when the Astrodome shelter closed, and were packing up for the unknown yet again.

SoMo,
    Thanks for trying to clear that up, but I'm not tippy toeing around anything. Marlin was responding to your original post. Neither your post, nor any subsequent post mentioned any trouble makers. Your post refered to all 976 evacuees. The following posts all said (basically) "good riddance" "Go to another slum" & "scum are scum". Until my post, nobody bothered to diferentiate between the good people and the bad. All of the evacuees are not scum. No tippy toeing!
    Thanks,
    Huck
  15. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

So as not to bust your bubble Huck, as of Monday Sept. 19th, there were 194 people left in Reunion Arena from LA as Katrina refugee's. On Wednesday they put most all of them on aircraft to three different states. We are now caring for our own. They are much appreciative and are more than welcome. Texans will take care of Texans who appreciate the help.