Kayak

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gabob, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Gabob

Gabob Active Member

Our grandson just started work with a law firm in Albany Ga about 50 miles from here. He is staying with us and commuting until he can get in his apartment in Oct. Our daughter, Joy, his mother came today and wants us to go kayaking on the big lake, tomorrow. (Lake Walter George/aka/ake Eufaula). I agreed reluctantly to go. I love canoes but kayaks are just a means of transportation on water for those who cannot J-stroke a canoe
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I have had 4 different yaks and for me, they're more versatile for fishing and navigating the rivers around here. But, like they say, different strokes for different folks. ;) :D
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I never kayaked, or canoed for that matter. I always do my boating in a bass tracker, or charles' sea rig..
  4. geds

geds New Member

I use a kayak blade paddle in my 16ft canoe. I can control it better, it is more relaxing as you can vary muscles in paddling, can go faster, and it is more fun!

Be careful on Lake Eufala - they call water skiing trolling for alligators! :D
  5. Gabob

Gabob Active Member

Until some health problems several of us used to do overnight canoe trips on local rivers. Can't take camping equipment on kayaks. My BIL and I could paddle canoes and never take paddle out of water. Really burns my biscuits to see an outdoor show and some turkey is swapping sides of canoe with every stroke .
  6. geds

geds New Member

Now wait a minute - I'm one of those turkeys and have canoed in expeditions all over the Okefenokee and northern Fla. rivers with my kayak blade paddle. I've taken scouts, newbies, and experienced canoeists and out performed everybody in the groups. The only time I had trouble was in a narrow canal with low over growth. So I broke the paddle down to a standard canoe paddle (always keep the T-handles in case I need them) and paddled on. Didn't have in the Canadian trip and learned afterward how much better it is - especially with newbies in the canoe. My wife can paddle all she wants or doesn't want and I can easily compensate without her knowing it! ;)

Now, if you are referring to swapping sides with a canoe paddle - I agree completely! If you know what you are doing, you should only change sides for a rest break or to make a hard turn.
  7. Gabob

Gabob Active Member

I was refering to swapping sides only
  8. geds

geds New Member

The sternman, if he knows what he's doing, doesn't have to switch sides at all, except to make a sharp turn. He can control the canoe by the type of strokes he makes.
  9. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I've spent my fair share of time in a canoe, and I can tell you that there are a few occasions where switching sides is needed. It's rare, though, and it is only when there is a strong current. On still water, there is never a need.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

too much work. ill take a johnson 2 stroke please..:)
  11. Gabob

Gabob Active Member

NOTE TO SELF:
    If you are rapidly approaching 75 years old, do NOT go kayaking on a very windy day on a big lake with BIG waves. Especially with much younger folks. At one point I was going backwards while paddling forward. Very few whitecaps but some nice rollers We left about 8:45 AM and got back to dock area about 2 PM. I am a wupped puppy. Tomorrow I will be SORE !
  12. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

That just means that you're alive and well Bob ! Did you get any pics?
  13. Gabob

Gabob Active Member

No pics. I couldn't stop paddling long enough. Probably would not have had the strength to press shutter anyway
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

alive and well indeed..;)
  15. geds

geds New Member

If you have a good bow line and tie it off to one their sterns, it will make your paddling a little easier ;)
  16. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

These boats are just two small for me. I like bass boats that will run 70 plus.
  17. Gabob

Gabob Active Member

Great Idea
  18. geds

geds New Member

Same concept works backpacking. When they are not looking, keep transferring a few items at a time from your pack to theirs! :D