Keeping Magazines Loaded

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

rodgerglide
    (12/24/01 1:39:52 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Any harm in keeping mags loaded?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Is there any damage to mags by keeping them loaded? I am wondering if my practice will cause spring damage or deflection. If so,how long does it take? Is it dependant upon mag type,capacity,or what? Have any of you experianced any problems?

AntiqueDr
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (12/24/01 1:42:13 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Any harm in keeping mags loaded?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Over time, springs will take a "set" and lose some of their strength. This was more of a concern years ago than it is now, but many people still rotate their magazines every month or so.

May not be necessary, but probably still prudent.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Xracer
    (12/24/01 4:24:28 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Any harm in keeping mags loaded?
    I agree with Doc, but then again, I've seen some old G.I. M1911 mags that have been loaded more than 10 years, and are still fine.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (12/24/01 11:27:52 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Yep, me too, once a month at a minimum!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

gun runner john
    (12/25/01 9:27:54 am)
    I'll go against the grain and say that using the magazines will do more damage to the springs than leaving them loaded. A properly designed spring, that is not stressed outside it's design limits, should not "take a set". Let's take an example that most of us live with every day, your car's valve springs. A number of them are either partially or totally compressed whenever the engine is stopped, when's the last time you heard anyone worry about that? Personally, I spend no time worrying about mag springs "taking a set", and I've never had the problem with any brand name mag.

One exception would be poorly designed springs, but I doubt these would last long enough for you to leave them loaded and take a set.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (12/25/01 2:05:40 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    In my .45's I strictly use Wilson mags and their
    spring & follower kits in all of my other mag bodies.

gun runner john
    (12/26/01 11:17:30 am)
    So Tac, do you have a problem with Wilson springs taking a set?

Tac401
    Administrator
    (12/26/01 12:13:40 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    GRJ,

My main reason for using Wilson is function/reliability
    and I've never had them take a set however, I still
    rotate once a month(force of habit)although I have
    gone up to 6-months without a problem.

Bob In St Louis
    (12/26/01 9:44:57 pm)
    I have left magazines loaded for long periods of time, but I back off on the total capacity by a couple of rounds to slightly "ease" the full tension on the spring - so I leave a 15 round mag with 13 rounds in it. Top it off before use - God willing and time allows!
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

gpostal
    (12/29/01 1:55:52 pm)
    i recently took apart a ramline mag to see what type of spring it had in ,it has been loaded for over ten years and was downloaded by two ,but was getting a little week

when i took it apart i found out that it was a coil spring that attached to the top of the mag as you load it ,it uncloiled
    i put it back together, and reloaded it after a few weeks ,and is tight as new

a kind of set un-set ,wierd huh!