keeping track of how many times cases are loaded

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by joe45c, Feb 24, 2011.

1. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

How important is it to keep track of how many times a case is loaded. I've kind of lost track. some of my rifle cases i think are on their 4th or 5th time, and some i know for sure have only been fired once. My .45colts i have no idea. I keep a record of primer, powder, and bullet that i load, and afix that info to the box, but thats the extent of my book keeping. I guess i'll just inspect each case as they go through the process and toss out the bad ones. How about it, is anybody tracking their case loading numbers? Is it needed?
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

with pistols, I hardly keep track. I have some that heave been loaded 50 times...

with rifles I try to keep track, but its more important you watch the length and watch for that bright ring at the base when you pull it out of the resizer die. once that ring forms its time to toss them...
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Rifle is easier to track since I don't shoot volumes. Rifle is also more important, as case life is much more finite. Straight walled pistol cases last just about forever and I don't track them unless its nickel plated heavy loads ( just what I use to distinguish heavier loads to make it easier for me ).
  4. the yooper

the yooper New Member

one way is to check the weight of cases more times they have ben trimed the less they will weigh.that will get you in ballpark. long range loads for acc i allways weigh them,and of corse inspect!! hope that helps:)
  5. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

Yea i know that i could weigh my cases to see which ones are heavier due to trimming, but mostly i was wondering if anyone had a system or was recording say a lot of 20 rifle cases, and know that these cases are on their 5th or 6th time though the press. I'm guessing most of you are like me just visually inspect each case and toss the bad ones. Too much organizing and paperwork takes the fun out of loading.
  6. the yooper

the yooper New Member

ya i agree . the only ones i keep close track of is my long range brass i keep them in lots to keep my consistency up.
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Im with yooper. I only track my 'Good' brass for my precision rifles. Hunting brass and plinkin brass get loaded til they fail...
  8. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

yea i guess if i was keeping a paper trail of how many times i reloaded my cases someone would accuse me of starting a new government agency!
  9. zfk55

zfk55 New Member

We track three calibers. .308, .22-250 and 7.5 Swiss. We use large plastic Mayo jars and label them 1F (Once fired) 2F, 3F and 4F. After that we anneal for those calibers. The .308 is Lake City headstamped 2004 LR. Hard to find.
    The 7.5 Swiss is RUAG Swiss Nation Match and the 22-250 is Remington.
    All the rest of our calibers we just check for stress once in a while.
  10. joe45c

joe45c Well-Known Member

I got 1 caliber .307 win that the brass is hard to get, like i said some of it is on it's 4th or 5th time. I noticed 7 cases of the last batch of 20 i shot last week were showing stress signs on their shoulders. I've never annealed before, i read about the process though i might try that. The Mayo jars is a good idea i've just got about 140 .307s and about the same number of 7mm-08 that are all in various stages of times they have been loaded.
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

annealing is alot easier than most make it seem.

Heres my method.. I trim my cases with the LEE trimmer kit. It has a nifty little lockstud that chucks up in a drill.

Ill run my torch on high and spin the casemouth in the flame for an even heat just until the flame coming off the mouth turns orange and you can just see the brass start to 'light' up, it only takes about 3 or 4 seconds with the right torch. the bases get hot but not so hot you cant handle them to take them out of the lock stud. I just set them on the desk afterward to air cool. some quench, but I have found no reason to. Im getting 10 plus reloads from my .243s, .308s and .30-06s...
  12. Claudius Valarium

Claudius Valarium Member

So. Central TX, AKA the Middle of Flyover Country
    JLA,
    I haven't loaded enough yet to see this ring you mention. Is it on the shaft near the base? Is this a result of thinning brass?
  13. A-FIXER

A-FIXER New Member

As said many good tips and watching for signs of stress and other failures, I do not track my round only as maybe an Idea of which brass last longer between purchases. And my reasoning behind this is due to YOUR loads are they Hot or at the minium or alittle less. So as an overall only for best brass to buy... How ever I do keep an aloted # of brass for each particular rifle in the same cal for consistancy and I do not mix different headstamps or type of mfg.
  14. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I keep track of most rifle and some pistol cases. For loading bulk, low to mid powered plinking rounds of either, I don't bother. With most high powered rounds; I will track to see how well which head-stamp holds up the best.