Kel-tec handguns....quality?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Zigzag2, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

Kadaver
    (7/25/01 6:52:43 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Kel-tec handguns....quality?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I along with my father are thinking about picking up some Kel-tec handguns......9mm more then likely......how do these weapons stack up? quality? durability? reliablity?.....daddy is looking for a carry weapon (maybe) and i for a home defense gun for when i move out......money is kind of an issue. maybe 300 bucks max....=-)

Thanks for any help...
    ~kaddy

LIKTOSHOOT
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (7/25/01 6:55:57 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Kel-tec handguns....quality?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ..pretty durn slick for the money.....accurate, reliable and tuff.....what else does ya need at short ranges..............
    "am not" R2

shooter45 us
    *Senior Chief Moderator*
    (7/25/01 11:07:55 pm)
    I've shot two of these pistols,both 9mm's. Not bad at close range.

Bompa
    V.I.P. Member
    (7/26/01 9:15:27 am)
    Not bad at all..
    If I were to carry it would be a tossup between
    the Kel-tec and a Pony..

AntiqueDr
    (7/26/01 9:36:24 am)
    I regularly carry a P32 in my front pants pocket. Works great, almost forget its there.
    We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

kdubaz
    (7/26/01 5:16:29 pm)
    Have the Kel-Tec (Oh, the same of owning a plastic gun!!) 9mm that has a laser sight on it for home defense use. Trigger pull is a bitch if shooting target - probably won't notice in a real use situation! Good little gun - never jams and is easy to carry. Have a factory addy belt clip that works great for carry.
    Keep below the ridgeline!

bondai
    (8/1/01 10:16:23 am)
    Had one in .40. Great little gun for the money.Kdub is right though the trigger sucks.

ldsteff
    (4/24/02 9:59:58 pm)
    Carry a P-11 sometimes, worth its money close in accuracy but
    the trigger does suck,but then so does the rest of the hammerless semi-autos
    Had to polish up the feed ramp in mine but after that no problems
    in around 200 rounds.

SkiingFool1974
    (4/25/02 5:51:09 pm)
    I just picked up a P32 2 weeks ago and love it! I forget its in my pocket because it is so light!

I had 2 failure to ejects during my first 50 rounds through it, but in the 350 I've fired since then I've yet to have any problems.

Evan

SkiingFool1974
    (5/7/02 3:08:42 pm)
    Ok, I spoke too soon.....My Kel-Tec has given me a lot of problems in the couple weeks since I picked it up. My local gunsmith ended up completely reworking the extractor after the replacement one that Kel-Tec sent failed to fix the extraction problems. On average, 1-3 rounds per magazine would fail to eject properly!
    Now that he reworked it, it shot beautifully, until the $*#@ thing bound up on me today. I need to clean the heck out of it, and take it to the range again soon, hopefully that will be all that it takes.
    Evan

ldsteff
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/11/02 10:40:31 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Keltec
    I carry a P-11, have for two years,for the money you can't beat it.I check fire it once a month and it has never failed to fire or feed(since I polished the ramp)..As everyone else says the trigger pull is a bitch.but all the little CC semi-autos are...Its light,inexpensive and dependable,not a tack driver but close in it is accurate.

ldsteff
    V.I.P. Member
    (5/11/02 11:13:10 pm)
    Just remembered I had their web site they have some good articles about the KelTec and you can ask questions

www.ktog.org/

Bill
    (1/1/03 7:25:46 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Kel-Tec
    I have the .32 Kel-Tec and think it the best pocket gun ever made. Very safe and reliable. At 10 yards I can keep a 3 inch group. The trigger is a long heavy pull but that's what makes it safe in the pocket. it is so light and small I hardly know its there. No instant man stopper but with 8 rounds it can put out some serious lead.

Jeff Fite
    (1/2/03 5:51:47 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Kel-Tec
    My only experiance with a Kel-Tec was watching one of there P32 models go 'kaboom' at an indoor shooting range. The guy shot about about 30 rounds of Cor-Bon .32 ACP when the side of the grip frame above his shooting hand sent 5 pieces in my direction. The slide cracked too.

The guy was a police officer who bought something to keep in a body armor armpit type holster. He was VERY pi##ed off if you can imagine.

I have shot Cor-Bon .32 ACP out of my NAA Guardian. I guess this was one of those times I was happy to have an all steel pistol. My Guardian has been a good and reliable companion, although it's not very accurate... even for a 'face gun'.
    Regards,

Jeffrey Fite

Edited by: Jeff Fite at: 1/2/03 5:55:11 pm

Bill
    (1/2/03 8:08:26 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Kel-Tec
    And the lesson is....Don't shoot cor-bon bullets in the lightest and smallest .32 auto ever manufactured. this gun in weighs in at 6+ ounces....

IShootBack
    (1/7/03 7:52:24 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Kel-Tec
    A friend I shoot with carries a KelTec 9mm for CCW, but compets with a Kimber because the later is better at ranges beyond 7 yards.
    ISB
    Guns cause crime, like spoons made Rosie fat

Jbobin
    (1/9/03 10:27:37 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del RE: KelTec and extraction problems
    I had a KelTec in .32acp. I re-iterate HAD. I bought the thing for $250 new and from the start I had extraction problems. In fact, it really ticked me off that I had this new gun that would not extract the rounds 25% of the time! Many times it took a small screwdriver down the muzzle end to poke out the empty case.

I called KelTec and gave them my serial number. To their credit, they identified my gun as being in a large batch of P32's that had extractors cut incorrectly.

When I got the new extractor I compared it with the old one. The incorrect one had a length dimension that was too short between the roll pin hole and the 'hook' of the extractor. The new one was a smidge longer. Once I installed it, the case was now caught by the extractor hook and the gun extracted rounds.

I will also say that the trigger was downright weird, even when compared to my Glock. It was unpredictable and did not inspire the confidence I needed in a pocket gun. The gun needed to be cleaned very often to function reliably. Keep this in mind if you carry the gun in your pockets (lint, dirt).

I very quickly traded it for a used older Smith and Wesson .38 with 2inch barrel and I never looked back. There are lots of used Smiths and Tauruses out there for the same price (even the new blued steel Model 85 Taurus sells for about $285 here). These pack more of a punch and a more reliable than the KelTec in my opinion.

Jb