Kel-Tec P-32

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by cruiser348, Jul 10, 2004.

1. cruiser348

cruiser348 New Member

Does anyone have any experience with this diminuitive little gun? Saw one at a local shop for a pretty good price lately and got to thinking. Was considering one as a secondary carry gun or for those days when I just can't dress in a manner more conducive to carrying a larger gun. Would like to know if anyone has seen any reliability issues with this gun or accuracy reports.
  2. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

Kel Tec is a phenomenal company and manufactures great firearms. The P32, P3AT (.380ACP), and P11 (9mm) are exceptional concealed carry pistols. Extremely slim, light weight composite, very easy to clean, highly reliable, the number one choice for concealed carry and law enforcement backup, reasonably priced.
    You should expect to pay around $259 for a P32, around $275 for a P3AT, and around $285 for P11, All NIB of course. They are available in black, blue, gray, chrome, and combat green. I prefer the black.
    I have three P32s, two P3ATs, and one P11.
    You will not find a more reliable semiauto. I have hundreds of rounds through all of mine and not a single jam. I recommend Magtech or Winchester ammo, but everything else will work, hollowpoints, full metal jackets, whatever. I have two P32s by my laptop right now. Here is one.
    Now do yourself a favor and get one. You'll fall in love with them like I did.
    I wear a suit and tie to work everyday. I have a P32 in my financial calculator in my dress shirt pocket. Its that slim. No one in a million years would ever guess that I have a .32ACP in my shirt pocket. There is no bulge or crease. I also keep an extra clip. Again, no sign. 110% total concealment with 12 rounds on me at all times.
    Here is a photo of one by the laptop right now ,right next to me. There is one on the right and one on the left.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2004
  3. Bill

Bill New Member

I think Kel-Tec is producing the best concealed carry weapons. The P32 is so light you won't even know its in your pocket. Large capacity, lightweight, reliable.
    I prefer the P3AT however as the .380 packs a greater punch, but it only carries 7 rounds. The P3AT is only a couple of ounces heavier and a fraction of an inch longer.
    Never had a malfunction on either gun. The double action trigger is heavy and long throw but provides safety as its almost impossible to accidently discharge the gun.
    I find the P3AT a little bit easier to shoot than the P32. In either case I think one who wants to carry frequently should consider one of these two guns. Best true pocket pistols ever made in my opinion.
    Bill
  4. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

I routinely carry a P32 in my pants pocket. I can neither confirm nor deny if that is true while on-duty (TX law being what it is). Suffice to say that it is completely unnoticeable.

This from somebody that carries a .45 ACP routinely....
  5. Remington597

Bill:
    Excellent point about the hard trigger pull and the extreme unlikelyhood of an accidental discharge. I've yet to hear of one and also, I've yet to hear of a single complaint about Kel Tec products.
    The company stands being everything 100% for life. Also, they are remarkable easy to clean and don't jam. Anyone who has ever asked me about Kel Tec, I have given an unequivical 100% thumbs up and when they get a Kel Tec pistol, they always thank me.
    Heck, I know have 6 of them.
  6. cruiser348

cruiser348 New Member

Well, looks like you folks have sold me. I too would prefer the P3AT for the .380 cartridge but the P32 I found used (and I use that term lightly as from appearances I doubt it has had more than a single box of shells put through it if even that much) had an asking price of $180 at a shop where I'm sure I could talk my way down to $160 including tax out the door. Now as far as extra mags what are some good sources to find them through? Also since some said they just carry them in the pocket do you use an inside the pocket holster, and if so what brands as that would be the next item to go with it? Finally (I think) how about the beltclips I have heard about that are made for this gun, how well do they work? Thanks for the help folks.
  7. Remington597

The new ones come with a factory rug, it looks like a vynil pocket organizer, very slim.
    Also, go to www.auctionarms.com or your gunsmith will get you a nice holster for it. I recommend Uncle Mikes or Fobus. Both make great holsters.
    Please let us know how you like it. And don't worry about getting it used, Kel Tec offers a lifetime warranty. I hope it works out for you. I've never heard of anyone who it has not worked out for.
  8. Silver72

Silver72 New Member

My Kel Tec .32 has the worst trigger of any gun ever produced. In the first box of ammo I had several FTF and Js. It's smoothed up now and last week ran fine. The mags are made by Meg Gar in Italy and produce OEM ones for several gun manufacturers. I purchased a second one for $20 on one of the auction sites. These little guns sell for $199 at the gun shows.

Kel Tec has a web site with links to a forum. Seems there is a Cult of groupees that worship these guns. There is even a link to the "Fluff and Buff" slick up your gun to be a snarling tiger.

The sights are useless, especially for a guy like me with eye problems. But, the gun is designed for up close and personal self defense when ones doesn't have time to shut one eye and find the front sight. At close defenseive range it's accurate enough.
  9. Bill

Bill New Member

Kel Tec's are not target pistols or particularly fun guns to shoot. They are excellent pocket pistols for those with a concealed carry permit.
    The minimal sights ensure no hang up when drawing from your pocket.
    Most state laws are very restrictive as to when a threat justifies use of your concealed weapon. The typical situation where your life is in immediate danger with no way out would "normally" be in a close quarters situation. Point and shoot would likely be required.
    Practice to get used to the trigger I think is manditory. After 50 rounds or so I could keep all shots in a 3 inch circle at 15 ft, 4 inches at 25 ft. I was using the sights however.

I always carried mine in the pocket with no cover to allow for quick access. However on one occasion I found lint in the hammer area which prevented the hammer from being cocked.....So either a simple cover or keeping pockets clean and frequent inspections of the hole around the hammer should ensure reliability.
    Take care, Bill
  10. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok Member

My wife carries a P-32 and loves it. I like it enough to want one for myself. I could post my likes of it, but I would just be repeating what the others have already said. Heavy DAO trigger = safe, useless sights- as stated it's not a target pistol, exceptionally easy to conceal and maintain, lightweight...and so on and so on. Go buy one, which ever caliber makes you happy.
  11. cruiser348

cruiser348 New Member

All this discussion relates to the one glaring problem I have.
    The only range in my local area open to the public has a shortest permissable shooting distance of 25yds and they are adamant about not setting up targets even an inch closer than this. They have now barred all target stands and provide construction netting at the end of each range that you are required to clothespin your targets too. All fine when I am out plinking with a rifle (will admit I spend more time at the 100yd line shooting that the clothespins than at my target) but causes a rather large problem for getting used to a new pistol. Even my states CCW classes only require shooting at 7yds so basically till you take the class unless you own land in the country or have access to a private range you are SOL as far as useful range time for the classes is concerned.
    Given the limited sight radius and as mentioned smallest sights what's the chance of a slightly better than midlin pistolero being able to hit even a rifle target at 25yds.?
  12. Hydra Shok

Hydra Shok Member

Hey cruiser, luckily for me I work for a construction company and live close to one of our dirt pits where I do the majority of my shooting. Do you know someone who has access to a dirt pit or a few acres of land that wouldn't mind if you did a little plinking? If you are in a hunting club you could shoot there maybe, the clubs I have belonged to have always had a place to sight you scope before the season starts. Just a few ideas, hope it helps.
  13. stash247

stash247 New Member

Bill and Hydra said it all; the kellgren designed, dao pistols, ain;t target pistols. Whatta bitch. they shoot center. Run reliably. Can't find a range to shoot 'em on, but sell like hotcakes.
    My personal feeling: buy a few; all of mine run like the railroad should.
    Understand, they are not conventional pistols, they run, dao. But,they fit in places "conventional" pistols never have gone, and they work, 100%. adapt, improvise, overcome. terry
  14. Pabooger

Pabooger New Member

Love my Keltec 9mm, I added a ghost ring rear site! Light , compact, easy to conceal, and reliable! Wouldn't trade it for anything and isn't near as ugly as Charlie's Glock!!! ;)
  15. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Member

I just picked up a P-3At for my wife today, after a lot of internet research & looking at other pocket pistols (including the Makarov). My wife was really sold on the Kel-Tec because of it's size, weight & concealability. I was really trying to push her towords the Makarov or the Bersa Thunder .380. I really had a tough time believing all the glowing reports I was reading about the Kel-Tec, it just didn't seem possible that it could shoot as dependably as everyone was saying and I was sure you couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it.
    Since it is going to be her gun, she got her way & we picked up the .380 Kel-Tec. It was only $249 NIB at a local gun shop (they we offered for sale at the gun show that day for $295!). On the way home, we went out in the woods and put 50 rounds through it. Zero malfunctions, less kick than my Bersa and after a few shots to get the feel of the gun, she was CONSISTANTLY putting all her shots into the 3"x5" center of the target at ten yards. I should add that not only does my wife rarely shoot, but it was also getting dark!
    To keep it short, I think you'll like the P-3AT You might want to add an Uncle Mike's "in the pocket holster" size 2. It's not a target pistol, but it seems to be well made & I think it would be a great little carry gun. Go buy one and have some fun.
    Huck
  16. Remington597

I can't say enough good things about Kel Tec in general. I'm a big fan. I think Kel Tec offers more value for the money than any other firearms manufacturer. I have P32's and the P11s, I have a total of five and love em.