Kel Tec P-3AT

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Wallaby, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Wallaby

Wallaby New Member

I'm thinking of buying a Kel Tec P-3AT .380 for concealed carry. What are your opinions of these guns? Reliability, durability, etc.? Can they use .380 +P loads?
  2. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

I own one, and carry it everyday. GREATEST concealability of any gun I've ever owned - I often forget I have it around my ankle.

The latest generation (GEN II) of the P3AT are MUCH more relaible than was the first generation. I shoot hot load through mine (Cor Bon) and it performs well. However, it's not made for +P loads.

One word of caution however... don't get into a gun fight with these things if your target is more than 15 yards away. You will likely miss your target altogether, multiple times. The lack of sights and the big recoil make this a point blank/in very close type of gun. If you don't ask it to do more than it's designed to do, you'll love this thing.

Lastly, don't pay more than $250.00 for one.

Pat Hurley
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Of all the mini Kel-Tec I would trust my life on the .380 the most
  4. azsigman

azsigman New Member

I just bought one and like it alot. The manual will tell you that +P loads can be fired in it, but not as a steady diet. Hope you enjoy it. By the way, the Gen ll has an external extractor so is very easy to ID. Good luck....
  5. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

I echo Pat's comments - although I have had the best (100% thus far) reliability with the 102gr Remington Golden Sabre round. I have picked up a box of Federal 90gr Hydras and a box of the Corbon 90gr JHP. I have NOT fired any of these yet, but doing my typical "cycle through the magazine" test, the Corbons and Feds may end up having an issue due to the semi-wadcutter design versus the ogive of the Golden sabre. I'll do a firing test this weekend.

This is a very specialized deep concealment piece. If I have room / cover for something bigger I will move up the power scale to a .38 J -Frame smith, then up to a 3" 1911, then up to a full size 5" 1911. Its all driven by the weather and where I'm going.

I always follow the 1st rule - have a gun.
  6. I definitely agree with you, 45. A more powerful weapon (say, a .38 special and up) is always more desirable if the conditions of carry allow for that, but unfortunately, they sometimes don't. I carry a J-frame in .38 special quite often, but prefer my Glock 33 or Glock 30 if I can conceal it properly. Likewise though, I will sometimes carry a Beretta Tomcat in .32 auto, or even a Beretta 21 in .25 rather than go unarmed.
  7. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

Pistol - iffen I can hide the 18.5" 870, I go with that!! Or the 1927 Thompson...:)
  8. Yup, so would I, 45, but the local constables get just a tad tense about that sort of thing. :D
  9. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Why don't you just buy a SERBU
  10. Bill

Bill New Member

The P-3AT is the perfect pocket pistol for the average citizen not involved with law enforcement. Let's face it, as a civilian you'll have to have an immediate threat in order to use a firearm legally. Likely the gun if ever used will be at close range, ie point and shoot. The P-3AT fits comfortably in a pocket and is almost unnoticable to the carrier or the public. mine has been perfectly reliable at the range. However I suggest frequent inspection and cleaning if carried in a pocket as lint and other debris will accumulate over time.
    Bill
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2006