Kel-Tec Public Opinion Poll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Winchester73, Jan 13, 2005.

?

What Is Your Opinion of Kel-Tec Firearms

Poll closed Jan 23, 2005.
  1. I Think Kel-Tec Firearms Are JUNK

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. I Think Kel-Tec Firearms Are High Quality

8 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. I AM Attracted to Some Kel-Tec Models But A little Leary

13 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. Winchester73

Winchester73 New Member

I'm just curious as to your opinion of Kel-Tec and their firearms in general. I'm not limiting this opinion poll to one specific gun, rather all of their guns as a whole.
  2. Fep1990

Fep1990 New Member

They are low cost firearms. I have owned 3 of them ands not had a single problem with them. My current CCW is the P32. Can carry it in the front pocket of shorts and slacks with no printing. The handguns are not for everyday plinking, but are IMHO very good/reliable CCWs. I have several thousand rounds through mine, with just regualr cleaning done to them. I am planning on getting the SU-16b or c this year and also the Sub2000 9mm rifle to go along with all my standard cap G17 magazines
  3. Winchester73

Winchester73 New Member

I've owned a P11 and shot another one, both were fine. I've shot a Kel-tec P3AT that is really neat, but a tad rough. I'm really wanting a Sub2000 in .40 S&W. Overall, I like 'em but I'm a little leary. I guess when you consider the cost there isn't a whole lot to lose, and their customer service reputation is very good.
  4. Eagle Guns

Eagle Guns New Member

Here's a picture of my three.Top one is a stainless P-11 no longer made,bottom left is a P3AT .380 and lower right is a P-32 Serial #000XX.I was a member of The K.T.O.G. when the P-32s came out and Kel-Tec let the members by them for I think it was $204.00 shipped.I saw some of the first ones sell at auction for nearly $400.00.
    LOVE them all. :cool: [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2005
  5. Winchester73

Winchester73 New Member

Yep, I had a Stainless P11 as well. I guess I bought around 1996 or so...I really didn't have any problems whatsoever...I just traded it for something else. A mistake really, because I'd rather have the Stainless than the hard chrome.
  6. wizard78

wizard78 New Member

I didn't have any problems with mine. Just didn't like the DAO action. Got rid of it.
  7. Carl S

Carl S New Member

You get what you pay for. The action is not smooth and the triggers need work. But mine was definitely reliable. Like someone else posted, I don't like DAO and I traded mine.
  8. rjjrwi

rjjrwi New Member

i've had 2 of the p11 and have a p-32 now , had good luck with all of them , sold the p11's to friends that just had to have one , the p-32 will stay :rolleyes:
  9. Rugster

Rugster New Member

My vote didnt mean much because I had to vote I was shy of them,and I dont think their junk by no means I just could not say they were great.My biggest concern is I wont go below a 9MM for self defense.

Best!!
  10. Eagle Guns

Eagle Guns New Member

Rugster,the P-11 is a 9mm. :)
  11. drobs

drobs New Member

We sent 3 P32's back to the factory a couple weeks ago with broken trigger reset springs. I've seen at least 3 with the same problem before this. I like that Keltec Su16 rifle but would pass on the handguns.
  12. offeror

offeror New Member

I've been impressed with the feedback from those who have them, and examined a P11 at the gun show here last weekend. The size & weight were fine, but when I dry fired it -- lordie, that trigger pull... I don't think I've ever found a loooonger pull, probably longer than some can reach, and it must be close to 12 pounds, which is excessive for a non-revolver. It scared me off for the day.

As far as the trigger re-set springs going out, I'm not surprised to hear it given how "mechanical" the trigger pull seems to be. If I were to have a P11 I'd have to FIRST satisfy myself that I had a handy gunsmith to fix that trigger pull the first day, and I'd have to have spare trigger parts and the ability to install 'em myself or have it done cheap. So, all in all, I like them, except for that godawful trigger. If they ever redesign the trigger to something friendlier, I think it will be a very good all-around CCW out of the box, a real value. I don't expect GREAT from a gun this inexpensive, but it's gotta be good enough, and there's no reason they can't engineer a better trigger system for these (IMHO, as usual).
  13. Winchester73

Winchester73 New Member

Keep on voting! It's interesting to see how these things rank.
  14. njretcop

njretcop New Member

OK,

Now that I am the proud owner of a Kel Tec (Thanks Pabooger) P-11 let me add my view to this discussion. :)

They are inexpensive guns, they are not great, but they are very good! They are not target pistols, but make very good CCW weapons. You can carry 13 rounds (of 9mm) in a very small package. Their customer service is the best! :D

The long trigger pull takes some getting used to, but that's because it is also the safety on the gun just like the Glock. The trigger springs on the newer P-11's have been reduced to 8lbs from the original 12lbs and makes a big difference. :D

Unless or until it fails to go bang every time I squeeze the trigger, I will be a fan of Kel Tec. ;)
  15. Texas_Shooter

Texas_Shooter New Member

Curious about them, but not quite ready to spend any bucks yet
  16. richbug

richbug New Member

I think a P3AT might be nice to keep in my pocket, but I don't know if there is enough gun there that by big arthritic hands can hold onto it.

I think I will wait until Victorinox Puts a 9mm in their model Huntsman model.
  17. bigdaddyjunior

bigdaddyjunior New Member

I paid $200 for a 32 that weighs next to nothing and is idiot proof. Just pull the trigger. The sub2000 carbine is a hoot! Folds up into a gym bag and shoots 40 cal ammo from a glock mag ie 29 rounds. It looks chumpy but it really works well and the goofy sites actually are very accurate. In theory the pistol would buy me enough time to get to the carbine in the car.
  18. Fep1990

Fep1990 New Member

This shows how small the P32 actually is. You almost forget you are carrying it
    [​IMG].

Small, Lightweight, and goes bang every time you pull the trigger. If something does goes wrong, KT customer service will take care of you, most times even if you are the one to mess it up.
  19. Lowrider

Lowrider New Member

Kel-Tec? No thanks!
  20. Salvage33

Salvage33 New Member

Shreveport, LA why leave the USA to visit a 3rd wo
    Never owned one, never shot one, and all I know is what I see written here about them. That said, can't take part in the poll!

John