kel-tec

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by 21bravo, Jan 29, 2009.

1. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

i havent seen this topic discussed and dont see it in the past five pages in this section so.... what are your opinions on kel-tec pistols? any of them p-11, p-3at, p-32, and pf9.. good, moderate, or crap? (give a reason to back your statement if its negative please..dont just say "i think they're Edited by Admin")
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2011
  2. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

My P-3AT was a bit tight when I got it and took some rounds to get it functioning smoothly. After my break-in period (can't remember the number of rounds through it) I've had no failures to feed or eject. It's no champion in regards to accuracy but it serves the purpose of always being there due to its light weight and my willingness to carry it often. I think the Ruger LCP feels and looks better made but I haven't shot the one my uncle picked up when we went gun shopping last weekend yet.
  3. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

from what ive seen it takes approx 200 rounds to break in a kel-tec. if you dont mind let me know how the lcp shoots....or anybody else out there who has shot one. the only thing with the lcp though is around here there is a waiting list thats 2 or 300 names long!!..

what im lookin for is a carry/backup gun... so it'd be good if my backup was the same caliber as my service weapon... but since im not a LEO YET i dont know what the service weapon will be... i may be getting my cart before my horse...:rolleyes:
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  4. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

21bravo, I picked up a Kahr PM40 (in .40 S&W) last week and it's just a bit larger than my Kel-Tec. It's a lot more pricey than the Kel-Tec but I think it's worth it. It too, has a break-in period that must be met. In the pocket holster it looks no different than a PDA in a front pocket. I'll let some other guys chime in now. I've already eaten up my time in both threads... ;)
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  5. oldogy

oldogy New Member

I have a KelTec PF9. For $300 I really did not expect a high quality automatic but I do like it. I had one failure to eject about the 6th or 7th round but after that and another couple hundred rounds it has been fine. I can maintain pretty good accuracy with it, far better than I had expected and entirely acceptable.
    ray, the oldogy
  6. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

I have the P-11 and the P-32.

Haven't had any problems with either. Just took the P-11 (my regular carry) to a local range last week where they'd set up 2 tactical scenarios with multiple targets, where you move and shoot from cover, have to reload, and shoot again. The P-11 functioned flawlessly. :D
  7. obxned

obxned New Member

My P-3AT kas been so reliable and accurate that I recently bought a PF-9. I have only put a few hundred rounds through it, but it is also reliable and very accurate. These pistols would get a lot more respect if the price was higher. Folks have a hard time believing that something this good can be sold for such a low price.
  8. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

has anyone experienced any bad luck with a kel-tec. i've steered clear of them since they reminded me of a grendell ( remember those things :mad:) but i've yet to see anyone bad mouth them. i might be missing out on a excellent choice for a very small gun to stuff into a pocket when nothing bigger will work.
  9. w1spurgeon

w1spurgeon Member

I'm amazed that anyone can discuss these guns (and I include the Ruger here) without bringing up the sorry trigger pull. If you pull on it long enough (hard enough, far enough, etc.) it will eventually go off, but without any warning or tactile feedback. The Ruger is no better than the Kel-Tec (or the Grendell, for that matter) in this regard. They all suck.

LOL....can you tell that my carry gun is a revolver?
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  10. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

thanks for your input w1.. ive thought about a wheel gun as a backup... but because of the fat "belly" of them that kinda limits the places to keep it.
  11. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

That's odd, I have a Kel Tec P-32 and I really find nothing wrong with the trigger pull. :confused: It's not heavy, it's smooth and consistent. Long trigger pull ? perhaps, but it's not that bad and nothing to gripe about. When all my heavier guns are home in bed, the little P-32 is with me in my right hand front pocket in a quality pocket holster.
  12. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

RJay, I tend to agree with you on the trigger pull of the little Kel Tecs. Although they are very long, and somewhat awkward in trigger pull depending on your hand size, the Kel Tecs don't bother me. A pocket pistol, NO MATTER THE BRAND, is a compromise at best. At this time, there's no Kimber 1911 equivalent pocket carry gun... :rolleyes: As in, the quality isn't absolutely perrrrfect as Kimber owners claim of their guns for every popular pocket pistol. :rolleyes: Can you tell that some Kimber owners aggravate me?... :p;)

The Kel Tec P32/P3AT trigger pull was hard for me to adjust to because of the length of the pull being longer than the bend radius of my index finger with respect to the first joint. At first, you wonder when the heck this pistol is going to go off, and then it does... :eek: If that bothers anyone profusely, I'd urge them to visit Kel Tec's website and purchase a trigger boot that they sell for the P3AT and P32. It makes the trigger feel thicker, and effectively eliminates the problem I referred to above...
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  13. TxYoteHunter

TxYoteHunter New Member

I've had the P3AT for a couple of years now. It makes a great carry weapon if your wearing slacks or suit pants. I carry my .40 S&W with jeans but you've got to have something for those dress up occasions.

Like has been said, you have to get used to the trigger and know when it's going to really pull. It's fairly accurate up to about 15 to 20 yards for me. Much past that and it does get a little off center. All in all, I'd recommend it.
  14. azsigman

azsigman New Member

My wife loves her P3AT and amazes me at how accurate she is with the little devil. She just drops it in her purse and, weight wise, forgets it is there.
  15. oldogy

oldogy New Member

If I need to get a few rounds off real quick that long trigger pull is not going to be on my mind. I have rapid fired it a few times and never noticed the long pull. It fires and comes back to point pretty well for me. As I stated earlier, it is not an expensive gun and I would not expect the same pull as a custom.
    oldogy