1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

kel-tec

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by 21bravo, Jan 29, 2009.

1. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Re: kel-tec PF-9

Took mine to the range Saturday.

This is NOT a pleasant gun to shoot, but it shoots well.

I put 125 rounds through it, mag after mag, with NO hiccups of any kind. Ate 3 different kinds of ball, and one kind (winchester sxt) JHP round - no problems.

The long trigger pull is a bit different to get used to as opposed to a glock, but can be overcome.

Great little package.
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

For SD ammo - take a close look at the Hornady FTX Critical Defense loads - check out the extreme taper of the ogive. These are made to load. I've fired a box through my KelTec P3AT - no problems, smooth as silk feeding.
  3. patrol

patrol New Member

Kel Tec PF9...Ok, I shot about 100 rounds through it of hardball ammo then a handful about thirty rounds of various "defensive" loads from hollow points to hydroshock. It was consistently doing everything wrong from failing to go into batter to stove pipe to just jamming to light strikes on the primers. I took it where I bought it and the guy told me their customer service was so excellent to just let them send it back and they would return a flawless firearm. I trusted the guys judgement because I have known him for many years and purchased a crazy amount of firearms and accessories from him. Can't wait to get it back and see how it performs. You really can't beat the size and the trigger like I said before is way smoother than the Ruger LC9. I will keep you guys posted.
  4. McDhuibh

McDhuibh New Member

5. graehaven

6. deen_ad

deen_ad New Member

Well, I've had several KT's, a P-9 (converted to a P-40, then added the .357 SIG barrel). I still have a P-40 with the .357 SIG barrel and hard chromed by Jack over at KTOG. Those two will get your (and others) attention on the line. They are NOT easy to shoot. If you limp wrist them you will have problems. That's why they quit producing the P-40, too many returned for problems that actually shot perfectly when tested. Right now I'm down to only a few KT's, sold the 2000 to get a SU-16A, sold it to get a 16C. Sold the .32 to get a P-3AT. Sold an LCP with CT laser and kept the P-3AT. Now looking for a PLR 16 after I sell my Draco. The P-40 I still have has had the feed ramp polished, trigger shoe and trigger stop added and it's a great little gun with either the .40 or .357 SIG barrel, but be sure you've got a very firm hold on it!
  7. deen_ad

deen_ad New Member

I carry the Critical Defense in ALL my concealed carry handguns, although right now I've got the PDX1 .410's in my Judge in my car. I don't carry the Judge on me even though the Public Defender is pretty small.
  8. K75RT

K75RT Member

Sir,
    Just for clarification, the PF-9 is a 9X19 chambered pistol, it can not be converted to .40S&W, perhaps you meant the P-11 which is a double stack mag and is convertable to both the .40SW and the .357SIG. Is this not correct?
  9. weasle94

weasle94 New Member

I have a Kel Tec P3At in 380 ,very good carry backup .Take some shooting to break in but for $175 brand new ,I am happy.Had a problem with it .Kel Tec took care of it quick ,Lifetime guaranty ,I cannot complain at all .Good gun ,good people
  10. steve666

steve666 New Member

I have a P32 that I carry most days, sometimes as my primary carry and others as a back-up to my Kahr K40. Obviously I trust it to function when needed.
  11. graehaven

When he said "converted" to the P-40, he meant, he traded for that instead. You are correct in that there is no conversion options for the P-9.

Which, by the way, is a great little gun. Love mine.
  12. AmmoForSale.com

AmmoForSale.com New Member

I've been happy with my PF-9. It was a bit tight and gave me some issues, but after a break in period of 250 rounds or so it's been fine. I carry mine in the summer and have been extremely pleased with how concealable it is.

The Kel Tecs aren't meant for high round counts or a steady diet of higher pressure ammunition. They do make great carry pistols though. The PF-9 I have it's much fun at the range but more controlable than a 357 snub.