Kelly's French Bakery

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lead Lobber, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Lead Lobber

Lead Lobber Former Guest

This is not an advertisment, but rather a complaint. Spoiled by their sour dough for decades, all of the sudden, I can't find it locally in Silicon Valley (they are based in Santa Cruz). I drove a long way this morning to their nearest retailer on their web page, and it turned out the market had been converted (sold) into one of those asian places, with dried squid, and fresh, whole fish (not a bad thing).

And this, after discovering my first small high end market fell to the Asian invasion, also - no bread!

Not a problem; these outlets are interesting, but they don't carry BREAD!

So I checked the next nearest outlet, a Nob Hill, 1179 S. De Anza, Cupertino, CA, and when I got there, guess what? It, too, had been bought out by one of the asian type markets, so I did not bother going in to search for any of Kelly's amazing breads. The signs said, "Grand Opening". You Luck Foo You, or something like that, with a lot those cryptic symbols.

I miss the small, upscale groceries, where one could request steaks, chops, whatever, cut and and wrapped, JUST SO.

Back to the intercourse, I guess, and check the next listing. The extinct market has an original branch in San Jose (Cosentino's), but it's a long drive for bread. Guess I'll have to clear some freezer space. :mad:
  2. xxxxxxl

xxxxxxl New Member

Got Rice:D
  3. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Lobber,
    Just realized how lucky I am. I live near a small Mom & Pop market. Fresh baked bread, and when you want a steak, the first question back is "How thick?" followed by "How many?"! They cut the item, bring it to the counter for your approval, then wrap it in that old-fashioned brown 'Butcher Paper' and tie it with a string. Then they write the price on the paper with a crayon. The wood floors creak when you walk back toward the register. They don't fool with coupons or such. They don't sell beer, lotto tickets, or gasoline (thanks to Uncle Sam), but I try to stop in at least once a week.
    We need to support these little markets. Prices might be a little higher than in the mega-mart, but they represent a level of service and a way of life that I fear is disappearing from our landscape.
  4. Lead Lobber

Lead Lobber Former Guest

Actually, I converted to rice milk, which I get at Trader Joe's. It comes in a box with a shelf life of more than a year, which means I can stock up, and not waste fuel running out so often for just milk, and such. It lasts much longer (have not had any go south yet) in the icebox after opening.