kentucky open carry

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by old semperfi, Nov 14, 2010.

1. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i have a cousin that was caught carrying a ruger in 44 mag in an open holster in the state of kentucky.the pistol was confiscated by police and when he went to court he was told that he would have to pay an attorney to get his pistol back.my cousin had no criminal history of any sort.the judge did recognize his right to carry but said to get it back he would have to pay legal council and how much did he want gun.my question is,is it still like that or do you kentucky folks now carry openly without hassell. old semperfi
  2. KyThunder

KyThunder New Member

Open carry is legal here.If your cousin has no prior felonies and a clean record,it sounds like they are giving him the run around.Where did this happen at in KY?
  3. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Sounds to me like theft under color of law.

Pops
  4. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i open carry here. i haven't had any problems. i carry in elizabethtown. i wouldnt open carry in louisville thought because they would pull that crap. confiscate your gun and then not give it back until a lawyer pushes.

the local gunsmith here told of a guy that was rail roaded like that in louisville. the guy was stopped by police for a traffic violation. he had a rifle under his truck seat in a case. they confiscated it for concealed weapon. (in the state of kentucky long guns cannot be concealed by definition-meaning its impossible to conceal one) when he went to court the judge told him to be thankful he wasnt in jail and to forget his gun. he ended up sassing the judge and got contempt. then he got a lawyer and when he went back and still got the same reply he said "okay your honor, i am now suing the city of louisville, you and the police office for violation of my second amendment rights" then he said to the lawyer, "how much is that worth?" the lawyer replied "about 40 million" the judge then said if you come back tomorrow we'll have your gun ready for you, we have to find it first.

i haven't ever had a problems open carrying in etown or hardin county. i've even carried into the county clerks office. a police officer came right up behind me in line. i thanked him for his service to the community. dunno what he thought, he didnt mention it.

i carry in walmart or other stores. any place that doesnt have a no weapons sign. i conceal carry in any private building with a no weapons sign. the ccw manual said it was not a "crime" although you're not supposed to do it.
  5. GAJAY

GAJAY New Member

Ya know, I know my post will probably not go over well here, but I never really understood why a normal guy just going here and there as any normal person would, would have the need to always be carrying a piece. I mean, are you so afraid of life that you have to do this? I live in one of the most crime-ridden cities in the first world, Atlanta metro area, and I used to regularly ride MARTA (public transit here--bus and rail) downtown. I am probably one of the few white men, regularly for a period of time, to walk deserted streets at night in downtown Atlanta, walking from an office to the MARTA Five Pts station and taking the train north--UNARMED. Nobody ever bothered me. Maybe I was lucky, I don't know. I had a couple of people ask me for money on a occasion and all I did was shake my head no and that was it. I still move about unarmed wherever I go (but rarely need to be downtown anymore). I do keep a pistol in the console between my front seats in my main car (legal in GA), but that's it. I was talking to a salesman at Bass Pro Shops and he not only carries, but also has a small BACKUP piece that he hides in his sock! SHeesh!!
  6. johnlives4christ

i carry because no one can stop me.
  7. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

I also live in GA. After two armed robberies I routinely carry (concealed). You have been lucky
  8. johnlives4christ

i carry a spare tire and jumper cables. i also carry a machete, hammer, pliers, and rope in my car. i rarely use any of it. but when i need it, its there. just like my gun
  9. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

If I could get away with it I would carry everywhere. I do not agree with you and believe that a private citizen well trained with a hand gun not only provides protection for himself and his family but also for the public. How about the shooters that go crazy just killing people. All it would take is one person with a conceal carry to stop the idiot and save lives. I do not believe everyone should carry but those who are responsible enough with a gun I say good for them. I work in Los Angeles and have for years in some of the worst areas. I applied for a conceal carry and I was told by the detective interviewing me, I do not blame you, I would carry where you go, but I cannot give you one. Thats California for ya.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  10. SARG

SARG Member

Gee ... I open carry while in uniform ....... ONLY. I sorta think an individual who open carries in Walmart is either stupid or retarded.

It simply makes that individual a target for someone who wants his gun.... And there are always folks smarter and tougher than the dummy who is doing "open carry" for the world to see.

Ron White said it best.
  11. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    gajay,that is your right,i guess you also like to play russian roulette judging from your travels.i hope you are right for your sake.if you are wrong then it will probably only be once.i am 59 years old and have had three times when just showing a gun was enough to keep me from being robbed,beat up pr worse.i live across the river from louisville kentucky and it is not a known place for violence,but all it takes is once and i value my life and my loved ones enough that if there is even a slight possibility for their lives to be in danger and i can prevent it i will.............to the death old semperfi
  12. johnlives4christ

i may be stupid or retarded, thats a fact. but i try to stay alert and aware of my surroundings when carrying in town. it might make me a target, that thats okay.

i dont carry a back up a lot, but it makes me more comfortable to do so. i imagine someone trying to snatch my gun, in which case i'd let them have it and pull my back up and shoot them. obviously if their grabbing my gun they are threatening my life and the lives of all those around me.

i am sure there are people tougher then me, smarter i would have to see that. i have a pretty high IQ. but someone would have to be crazy to try to take a gun away from a man that was 6'5 and 300 pounds. sure it might make a target, but, i take that chance
  13. SARG

SARG Member

Perhaps in Kentucky it's acceptable conduct.......... Can't say because I've never been in Kentucky ........... But I do know from a tactical point of view it's silly.

I cannot think of a reason that makes open carry a good idea. Just stating that it is lawful and a constitutional right doesn't alter the fact it is foolish.

Sorry if I came off offensive but when you've spent half a lifetime resolving issues that folks create ..... "just cause they can" ...... you become a little weary over the lack of good ole common sense.

I don't support the concept of "It keeps everyone polite" in this century. Maybe in the last.

I will post an article about firearms carry that I do believe in that makes your discussion of being the gentle giant mute.
  14. SARG

SARG Member

I posted this once before about a year ago.

Why the Gun in Civilization?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret)

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force.

If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force.

Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that's it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion.

Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force.

The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gang banger, and a single gay guy on equal footing with a carload of drunken guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we'd be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for a [armed] mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger's potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat; it has no validity when most of a mugger's potential marks are armed.

People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

Then there's the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser. People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don't constitute lethal force; watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level.
    The gun is the only weapon that's as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weight lifter. It simply wouldn't work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn't both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

It removes force from the equation, and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.
  15. GAJAY

GAJAY New Member

You sound like a real disciple for Christ I have to say. But maybe more like an overgrown 4-year-old; and I can think of quite a few places where someone could stop you from carrying your security blanket.