Keyholing .38 spl wadcutters

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by getgot, Feb 6, 2010.

1. getgot

getgot New Member

shooting a Missouri 148 gr. DBWC on top of 3.1. Bullseye, out of a S&W model 10, 2 ". Been getting some keyholing for the first time in a long time. Any suggestions as to the reason(s) the bullet is tumbling?
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I don't know your abbreviation. HBWC is hollow base WC. BBWC is bevel base WC (solid bullet). What the heck's a DBWC?
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I believe it is a wad cutter that can be used with either end in the case (??).

Things that make bullets tumble are wrong twist (but any 38SPL gun has the right twist for that bullet), a damaged barrel crown, bullets that are the wrong diameter (rifling in barrel looses grip on the bullet), voids in the bullets, bullets so soft the rifling strips the bullet rather than turn it, a leaded up barrel, cylinder timing off and bullet gets damaged trying to enter the barrel from the cylinder (spiting lead out the cylinder to barrel gap should show you that is the case, I would think).

Checkout the gun and if seems OK suspect the bullets (measure diameter and weigh some looking for an abundance of voids in that batch).

LDBennett
  4. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Did you mean DEWC (double ended wad cutter)? Other than what LDBennet posted the only other thing I can think of is a hot load that would lead the barrel. I haven't taken the time to go look up the load you are using so I don't know how fast the bullet is moving.
  5. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    most likely its bullet diameter,try sluging barrel and see what is the diameter.your wadcutters should be at least 2-4 thousands above barrel diameter.the other option is to check for excess leading in barrel. old semperfi