kick

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BETH, Oct 27, 2012.

1. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

does a .32-short have any less kick than a .32? does a .32 have more kick than a 9mm , does a 32 have less kick than a .38
  2. Rogeritall

Rogeritall Member

I've never shot a ".32-short" that I'm aware of, but I have shot a .32 ACP, and I would say (depending on the firearm it's shot out of) it had less "Felt" recoil then a 9mm Luger, or a .38 S&W special, or even the .38 ACP. But, of course it is less powerful by most measure then any one of them also. I could only imagine that a ".32-short" would have even less power/felt recoil then a regular .32 ACP. But, again I don't remember having ever shot a .32-short.

Hope that makes some sense to you. :) And... I'm not quite sure where a .380 ACP/ 9mm Kurtz fits into all that mess.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  3. ka64

ka64 Active Member

Yep - Nope - Yep..........
  4. B27

B27 New Member

Yep.:D
  5. Rogeritall

Rogeritall Member

I think that's kinda what I said... :eek:
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Problem I have with your questions is that the correct answer is "it depends". There are so many different cartridges out there, that your question is hard to answer. I, myself, own and shoot 32 S&W (which is probably what you mean by 32 short), 32 S&W Long, 32 H&R Magnum, 32 WCF and 32 ACP. Then there is 38 S&W, 38 Special (what most people mean when they just say "38") and 38 WCF. All different, all with various amounts of recoil, and more importantly, all loaded in different size guns.

>does a .32-short have any less kick than a .32?< This is, pretty much, gun-related. I have two 32 S&Ws. They are little bitty guns, and because the cartridge is also little bitty, they have very little kick. I have three 32 S&W Longs. With factory ammo they kick just about the same as a 32 S&W, because the guns are bigger and heavier. I got four 32 H&Rs - two Ruger Single Sixes, which are kinda heavy steel guns, and two S&W Airlites, which are quite light Titanium guns. The Rugers don't kick. The Smiths kick like a mother. With the same ammo. As for the 32 ACPs, all mine are older, steel-framed guns, and have less kick than the 32 H&Rs, but more than the 32 S&W Longs. And the 32 WCFs kick more than any of them.

>does a .32 have more kick than a 9mm< Again, depends on the gun and which 32. 32 H&Rs, in those Titanium S&Ws, kick much more than 9mm Luger in some of my steel-framed guns. But, as a general rule, the 9mm Luger (just like with the 32 and 38, there are several different 9mm cartridges, but when most people say "9mm", they mean the Luger) will have more recoil than any of the 32s.

>does a 32 have less kick than a .38< The 32 H&R, in the lightweight pocket guns, kicks more than most 38s. The others will kick less.
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Also (and I know you didn't ask this, but just in case), if you are thinking about any of those for self protection. The 32 S&W (32 Short) and the 32 S&W Long are bad, bad choices. As a self-protection cartridge, they suck.

The 32 ACP, with the proper bullet choice (there is no good bullet choice in those other two) is marginally effective, but the "self-defense" 32 ACPs being made today - the Seecamp, the NAA, the Beretta - are all small and light, which helps for carrying, but makes them hard to shoot and recoil is increased.

The 32 WCF is obsolete. It's a fine cartridge, but finding guns for it, and more important, finding ammo for it, would be difficult.

The 32 H&R and the new 327 Federal are probably the best of the "self-defense" cartridges available in 32, but as with the ACP, the guns they come in are light, and therefore kick more.
  8. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

what is the difference between acp,wcf? don't know what that means i know the difference between the short and the long? I don't see a lot of .32's out there are they not used a lot?
  9. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

acp is automatic colt pistol

wcf is winchester center fire

There are alot of 32's out there, but they don't get talked about as much. I can shoot 32shorts, 32longs and 32 H&R in my .327 Federal Magnum chamber.
  10. ka64

ka64 Active Member

Now my turn. Why so curious about an obsolete caliber????????????
  11. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

is it obsolete? have not heard much talk about a .32 was wondering why?
  12. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

ACP means Automatic Colt Pistol. 32 Auto is what most folks call it. WCF means Winchester Center Fire. It's actually a rifle cartridge that people started chambering in pistols.

If you save this picture to your computer (right click, "save image as"), you can blow it up to really see the differences.

But
    #3 is a 32 S&W. Probably what you meant by 32 Short.
    #32 is a 32 S&W Long.
    #6 is a 32 ACP. 32 Automatic. Right next to a 22 Long Rifle, for size comparison.
    #26 is the 9mm Luger.
    #70 is the 32 Winchester Center Fire, also called 32/20. Notice it's quite a bit longer than the other 32s.

Attached Files:

13. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Which one are you calling obsolete? The 32 S&W certainly is. Also the S&W Long and the 32/20. 32 ACP is alive and kicking. The 327 Federal might have killed the 32 H&R. Don't know.
  14. ka64

ka64 Active Member

Ok set up a poll & see how many here own a 32 caliber weapon........
  15. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

good idea but i don't know how to set up a poll