Kids stuff.... School lunches

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by ShawnDow, Sep 28, 2012.

1. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

I dont know how many of you out there are parents.. But have you notice the NEW and MANDATED hot lunch program out there? It seems that the idiots in office have deemed it necessary to control the type and quantity of food our kids eat if they get the hot lunch programs (this excludes home brought lunches).
    So.. I have cousins in the local elementary school.. I have 2 kids in middle school, and one in high school... They all get the same healthy (Im not knocking the healthy part) CONTROLED small portions.. K-12 all get the same quantity of food.
    I don't know about you, but I would have figured that senior in high school would eat more food than a first grader...
    So, Im hearing that thousands of students (usually high schoolers) at hundreds of schools (all on their own initiative) are boy-cotting the school lunch programs... And from what I hear from my high schooler our school will soon follow.
    Now, hears a thought... seniors are 17-19 years of age... New recruits in the services are 18-20 years of age. The last I knew.. in boot camp, if you were small and under weight you got double rations ("double rat" they called you) and if you were over weight you went to "Fat Camp"... So, if the Government is going to mandate my teen eat first grader portions.. Make all the new recruits in boot camp, eat first grader portions!
    I realize the boot camp thing is a side track rant... But my biggest fear is that a group of students are going to go on a real hunger strike and not eat at all to make a point. And the last thing we need are kids getting sick from severe malnutrition, just so they can make a point to the Government who seemingly don't care in the first place.
    Sorry, Im just tired of watching my kids go hungry at school (hot lunches are cheaper than home brought lunches) and needed to vent!
    Shawn Dow
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I've heard that in many school districts, they are checking bag lunches, and if THEY don't consider what was brought to be healthy, they take it away and REQUIRE the kid to eat a school lunch, and bill the parents for it. If the parent does not wish to pay, as in, "I didn't say my kid had to eat that, you did, so you can damn well pay for it", it is treated like any other "debt to the school" (like a lost or damaged textbook) and the kid can't get their grades until it is paid.

Isn't that special?
  3. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

My oldest is on board with the lunch strikes.. I don't mind, its not like he actually eats at school any way (he just devours everything in the house). I'm not stoping him, I'm not encouraging him, He is learning to stand up for what he believes in! May be other students will learn to stand up for themselves and voice their opinions. All I did say to him, was to make sure he does not interrupt the progress of schooling, don't touch any one, don't be-little any one, and don't violate common sense laws. They cant force food down your throat or they will be violating you!
  4. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I work in a High School. Well more like a public college 2055 students as of today.

Our kids are served appropriate sized portions. They are allowed to buy more if they want.

That being said, my kids have had school lunch very little. Mainly when my daughter with Binge Eating Disorder lies and charges lunch after eating her healthy lunch my wife or I prep for them.

My son hates the school lunches says they taste like poop (His words) and he is hungry 30 min later.

In my schools the state (Maybe DOE) mandates exactly what is to be in them. They are made to serve kids on free and reduced lunch and give them the calories for 2 meals.

My kids take a sandwich of their choice of 3 lunch meats. A double portion of veggies and a fresh fruit. With Water or water and a loc cal drink mix.

My daughter like I said above has binge eating disorder. I have seen her slam down 20,000 cals in a sitting. We have to control what she eats very closely. She and my son both also have ADD. So no soda no extra sugar and no caffine at ALL. Till they go to their damn mothers who feeds them sugar coated coco choco bombs and coffee for breakfast. Our pantry and fridge have to be locked up at all times. My wife and I have to carry a set of keys and keep them on us at all time. It sucks but it is what I have to do for my daughter.

There are a lot of things we used to eat in my house and don't anymore. With a wife that eats maybe 5 oz of food at a time and my daughter Carbs are very limited.

School lunches are not meant for health kids who's families can pay for them. They are meant for the poor kids who might only get to eat at school.
  5. nmckenzie

nmckenzie Well-Known Member

Who dreamed up this program? Please don't tell me it originated in the White House.
  6. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

yes... the White House came up with this.
  7. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I like the idea that poor kids can get a free lunch. Like cpttango30 said it may be all the food they get for the day. Other than that I don't need government agents (teachers) to tell me what my kids can or can't eat. This government wants to get in every aspect of our lives and completely control all of us.
  8. nmckenzie

I can remember sharing part of my lunch with a classmate who'd maybe had breakfast that morning, and come lunchtime had nothing but an apple and a Tootsie Roll, so I'm all in favor of school lunch programs. What I'm not in favor of is government telling us what we can / must eat, or teachers confiscating kids' bring-to-school lunches that don't fit the government's concepts of what a child's nutritional needs are. Yes, I do understand that growing minds require proper nutrition in order to thrive, but mandating specified amounts of specified food groups is, to me at least, something right out of George Orwell.
  9. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

Correct, I dont mind reduced / free lunches for those who qualify. I don't mind the whole wheat / grain bit instead of white. But when my high schooler gets 4 whole grain chicken nuggets, one packet of ketchup/catsup/ "tomato sauce" (that was for the Aussie), 4 slices of fruit, a couple of veggies and non fat milk just like a first grader... Im thinking the older kids could be using a few more chicken nuggets... not 4! More fruits and veggies, and more than 6 oz. of milk. This is where my problem is. Older kids require more food!
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Go back to the beginning of this and read it.

http://neverseconds.blogspot.com/

It starts in May, so it's not that long. 2nd grade girl in Scotland started a blog, complaining that the school lunches did not give enough food. "I'm a growing kid and need more than that to make it through the day". It went viral. Like a million hits in the first few days. And suddenly there started being some food at lunch, when folks started asking the school district where the lunch money went.

Doing that would not help here, as the "food downsizing" is government-mandated, but I thought it was quite a coincidence when I started reading this thread, and "the lunch portions are too small" showed up.
  11. nmckenzie

Not only older - on which I agree with you 100%, but what about BIGGER? I'm 68, 6'3" and 205 lbs. According to my 94 year old mom I was born at 6'3" and 205lbs. In other words, I was a tall kid growing up - always in the rear rank along with other stretch models for our yearly class photo, and I can guarantee you I required more building material and fuel than the kids in the front ranks of the photo. All I'm trying to say is that I agree with you, one size does not fit all. Luckily, mom always packed a decent lunch, along with a few items to spare - cookies, an extra pb&j sandwich etc. - which often got shared.
  12. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

"Spudz" nmckenzie, I agree with you on the "bigger" aspect, My youngest daughter (10) who is 5'1" and 120+ towers over her older sister (12) by 6" and 25 pounds. There is an 18 month gap between the two of them, So yes, size matters here as well. But the school will only give her (my youngest) 4 whole wheat chicken nuggets (just like they feed my sophomore (15) in high school)... I think they need to eliminate this proportions aspect, Keep the healthy and the assisted food programs, but let the kids eat according to their "size".
  13. nmckenzie

+1 on that.