Killed a copperhead yesterday BUT we are...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jjmitchell60, Jan 25, 2012.

1. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Went to clean up the mess, well some of it anyways, that my son's girl friend's father and uncles made at the house that belonged to their mother, the GF's grandmother. My son's GF owns all of it now including he land being she was on the deed as "survivorship" thus when her grandmother died it all became the young girls. Anyways, there is an old well that had a pump house in it that was used before county water lines went through the area. we decided to fill the well with as much of the "trash" as possible but found a 3' copper head in the old pipe. There were a few more in that pipe that we could not reach however I set them on fire with some diesel. I reckon the copperheads were at the well being it was a good 50 feet deep and stayed warmer than the weather outside the pump house. Now here is the kicker, we are officially not supposed to have copperheads or any poisonous snakes in out county!!!! Guess the one we killed and his buddies did nit get that memo form the KDFWR!!!
  2. hunter29180

hunter29180 Well-Known Member

first you should have called someone, (game warden, DNR, sheriff, newspaper) to document those snakes. if they are " officially not supposed to have copperheads or any poisonous snakes in out county!" then someone needs to know! antivenom will need to be stocked close by, just in case! and they may be making a come back there...it was part of their habitat at one time..

SECOND!! SHAME on you if you dumped DIESEL fuel down the well! you just contaminated all the ground water for several counties!!
  3. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

NOW, for the real question .... Rattle snake is pretty tasty .... how does Copper Head baked in diesel oil taste ?
  4. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Ya done GOOD, kill em, kill em all. Did you happen to smell cucumbers in the area?
  5. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Not good, that's sort of odd. I know I heard on the news eairlier this fall, either in WV. or KY that a young girl out deer hunting got bit by a copperhead, late in the season. Matter of fact, I think they said it got her twice!
    I'd call the DNR and let them know, maybe.
  6. Awtoman

Awtoman Active Member

I wouldn't. If they don't arrest you for killing the snakes, they'll arrest you for the diesel fuel, even if the well was dry.

Tom
  7. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Well the snakes arent endangered but in hibernation, yeah the could. The diesel fuel.....wasnt thinking about that. They'd fine the tee-total hell out ya, FOR sure! (yep)
  8. mjp28

mjp28 Well-Known Member

That's the FIRST thing I thought about, for those of you that might know some say the copperheads can give off a cucumber like smell when threatened. (some not all)

In scouts once our leader said "freeze" he smelled it, we all then very carefully got out of there. We were at a campsite in Western PA.

Also copperheads are found all over the north and most of the south USA, I don't know about way out west, and yes there are different varieties.
  9. Cleburne

Cleburne New Member

The only good snake is a dead snake, kill them all.
  10. Grizz

Grizz Active Member

I luv to eat me sum rattler!
  11. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Too cold for the cucumber smell and as to the fuel burning, way we did it they cannot say a word. KDFWR uses it to start controled burns. We plugged the pipe at well and poured fuel in the open end near the house which we need and will tear down. Mainly we just roasted them under ground! I have pictures of it, the copperhead being my son and I were handling it, and we have told KDFWR about them BUT they roll their eyes just like when we tell them we have seen or have pictures of Cougers/panthers/mountain lions or other animals that "officially" are not in this area. It is the limestone in the area that is supposed to keep the snakes away for some odd reason. Now the counties west of us and touching our county have documented copperhead and rattle snake populations. The county I live in is a border county of the blue grass region and eatern mountain region of KY. We actually are the fartherest county west to still be officially in Applachia here in KY. Our eastern end has some limestone formations but our western side has a lot limestone. This copperhead was in the western side of the county though which is odd! My Great Grandfather owned and lived on a farm on the Licking River which begins in the mountains of East KY. He would kill copperheads and rattle snakes from time to time that would wash down on drift piles on the river after a heavy flooding rain up river. Now I have been in areas in some counties that I will NOT venture, in warm weather, off the road on foot unless wearing my knee high snake boots. I have seen copperheads in clumps in places and yes they smell like nasty cucumbers (I hate the smell and taste of a cucumber by the way LOL). Actually I could have made some good money by digging up the line, dumping all the copper heads out, and selling them to a "handling church" that I know of in Powell County BUT that is highly illegal and if caught a good $10K fine. I have known people who do it though.
  12. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Never heard the limestone/copperhead connection before. All I know is that there was a lot of copperheads and limestone in Menifee Co. KY when I was younger. Been many years since I ran those hills but would bet the snakes are still there.

Here in Ohio if you have to kill a snake you better keep your mouth shut about it or you will pay the price.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  13. fordtrucksforever

fordtrucksforever Member

How is it that in Kentucky there is a county that is snake free? I find that very humorous. Did the democrats pass a bill to condone their freedom of movement? Did someone forget to mention it to the snakes? Or is ignorance of the law not an acceptable excuse for the snakes in question? Do they suffer the death penalty for failure to comply? Inquiring minds really want to know...

Do you know what model the snake was? More common in US are Southern, Eastern, and Broadband, (not to be confused with Verizon).
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  14. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I spent a few of my teenage years in Lyon County, Kentucky, and I do surly remember Copperheads there.
  15. jim summers

jim summers Active Member

I reside in southern Indiana, you can almost step
    I HATE snakes i especially Hate cottonmouths