Kimber .22 Conversion

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by dcriner, Aug 14, 2012.

1. dcriner

dcriner Member

To go with my full-size Kimber .45 cal., 1911 pistol, I bought a Kimber .22 rimfire conversion, which includes a replacement slide, barrel, recoil spring, magazine, etc., for $300. I fired it at the range today.

I had read that the conversion was fussy with ammo - and sure enough, it didn't like Federal at all. Remington Golden Bullet ammo performed much better. I think the Ferderal's trouble could have been caused by wax-coated bullets and/or insufficient power. I've read that CCI ammo is recommended for use with the conversion, and I will use that next time.

I loaded five rounds of the Federal in a magazine: one round cycled properly, two failures-to-eject, and two failures-to-load. I then shot about 50 rounds of the Remington Golden Bullet, and had one failure-to-eject, but the rest cycled properly. Each of the failures-to-eject involved the empty casing sticking in the chamber, requiring a pocket knife to pry it loose.

The gun has worked perfectly using .45 FMJ ammo and the original slide, etc.

The .22 conversion is fun and cheap to shoot, and a 1911 feels good in my hand. But for $300, you could buy a stand-alone .22 pistol.
  2. HossFly

HossFly New Member

Thats my standard reply to anyone expressing a interest in buying a conversion kit ;)
  3. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Funny, I have never had the desire to shoot 22s out of my 1911s. I guess everyones different.
  4. A square 10

A square 10 New Member

i purchased my kimber then got the conversion right away after , i like shooting 22s in my full sized 1911 , and with the craze of everyone wanting/getting the new purpose built versions i guess for once i am/was ahead of the curve ,

its picky as stated but i just buy the CCIs

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. dcriner

dcriner Member

I took my .22 Kimber conversion out to the range again today. This time, I used the recommended CCI mini-mags. I fired 100 rounds, and all was good, except for one stove-pipe. The sights were low and to the left, which I adjusted with the target sights. Of course, there is not any expectation that the replacement .22 slide and sights would be accurate, right out of the box, on a random frame.
  6. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

I gave very serious thought to a conversion but went with a Sig Sauer 1911 .22.

[​IMG]
  7. Texxut

Texxut Member

"But for $300, you could buy a stand-alone .22 pistol"
    That is true, and I have a few.
    But for me, it's not about shooting a .22 pistol. It's about practicing trigger control with my .45 and the conversion allows that, at a relatively low cost.
  8. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Double D:

There are two distinct and different reasons to use a conversion unit on a 1911 (or any centerfire pistol for that matter): Tactical and Target shooting.

For tactical you get to shoot huge quantities of 22LR ammo instead of expensive center fire ammo for practice. The Kimber, Ceiner, and others are excellent examples of tactical conversion units

For target shooting you can shoot uppers like the Marvel Conversion Unit No.1 which is probably the most accurate 22 LR pistol you can shoot south of the $2000 Olympic pistols. There are other target version too and all use the principal of the superior 22 pistols like the High Standard and the S&W Model 41. That is, the whole of the slide/barrel is solidly attach to the grip frame of the gun and only a small bolt moves in recoil. The sights stay in place on the frame as the bolt operates under them. These target conversion units easily meet or betters 5/8 inch groups (of at least 5 or more shots) at 50 YARDS (!) or at least the Marvel No. 1 does.

The great accuracy is why I chose to run a Marvel Unit No.1 on my 1911.

LDBennett