Kimber .22LR Conversion Kit

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by tspeck007, Nov 11, 2007.

1. tspeck007

tspeck007 New Member

Anyone own one? Like 'em? Are they accurate?

Are the compatible with a Springfield Armory Loaded 9x19 model pistol? They are supposed to fit any "mil-spec" model. Are the Loaded model of SA "mil-spec" even though they're not called such?

The do not work with a ramped barrel, IIRC. Are the 9mm ramped?

Any idea on the cost?

The springfield is stainless, do I get a blued or silver conversion? Not sure how good a match the silver will be, the blued on silver looks pretty good in theur catalog.
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

tspeck007:

You need to look at the Marvel Precision 22LR conversion. They fit more dififferent 1911's than the Kimber conversion unit or others. The Marvel Precision 22LR conversion Unit One is capabile, accuracy wise, of Bullseye competition. It's accurate enough to give S&W Model 41's a run for their money if not beat them out accuracy wise. The barrel and sights are fixed to the frame and only the bolt moves in recoil (exactly like a S&W mod 41, a Browning Buckmark, a High Standard Victor, and a Ruger MK II & III).

The Marvel Precision 22LR conversion Unit Two is a tactical version much like the Kimber with the same or slightly better accuracy capabilities but I would only buy the Unit One for my target uses. The Unit Two has the barrel fixed to the frame and the sights and whole slide move in recoil, much as a 1911. That limits inherent accuracy, in my opinion.

http://marvelprecision.com/beauty.htm

http://marvelprecision.com/unit2.htm

http://marvelprecision.com/reviews.htm

My Marvel Precision Unit One will shoot as well as my S&W Model 41, if not better. And the support Marvel gives beats out my experience with Kimber support!

LDBennett
  3. whip

whip New Member

I recently bought a Kimber 22 conversion from Midway. I believe it was $279. When I first got it and installed it on my Kimber 1911 it was so tight I couldn't get it to function reliably untill I took it off totally stripped it of all grease oil etc! Then I reinstalled it with just a drop or two of REM oil on the slide and proceded to shoot. After about 500 rds it seemed to have broke in and is functioning perfectly. My son put it on his colt 1911 and it functioned even better than on my Kimber intially. Now it works on either gun without a problem. Extremely accurate and pretty reliable, I still ocassional have a hang up with it.
  4. bmac1911

bmac1911 New Member

I bought the Kimber conversion for bullseye, but not to swap out. I had an Essex frame that I specifically cut and fit for the conversion. Surprisingly, I got the conversion right off the floor, early line before they offered the Rimfire Target model itself - or close enough to release that it wasn't readily available. Anyway, it shoots like a champ, a real tackdriver - though doesn't hold a candle to either of my 41's - the only thing I've shot that does is a Hammerli 215...yea, old LOL. Meh - that's a rabbit...

Anyway, the Marvel *is* more universal - but with someone to do the work if need be, the Kimber is fine. The only thing I hated about the Kimber was the polymer magazine, so I got and fit one from the Cienar conversion; it's like buttah :)
  5. LDBennett

bmac1911:

My Marvel Precision Unit ONE does shoot like a S&W Model 41 !!!! and sometimes better.

For tactical practice the Marvel Unit TWO and the Kimber are totally adequate, as is the Ciener (who use to make the Kimber conversion).

LDBennett
  6. Pat-inCO

Pat-inCO New Member

Got one about two months ago and am quite happy with it. I did do one thing to get it at full function faster. I put it on my Kimber frame and cycled the slide about one hundred times. Took it off, cleaned it very well, oiled it per manufacturer instructions (FP-10) and repeated. Did that for over 350 cycles and then did a full clean/oil again. Took it to the range and it is GREAT!

Sportsmans Warehouse has them for $299. :rolleyes:

Both are aluminum and it is only the "paint" (or what ever they coat it with) that is different. I got the Blue on and put it on a SS frame. Works fine (doesn't look half bad either). ;)
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  7. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

I own one. I'm very happy with it. However, you can buy the Ciener conversion kit and get the exact same kit, minus the engraved "Kimber" on the side of the slide. And you'll spend a bit less, as well.

For extreme accuracy, the Marvel is the best choice, from what I've read.
  8. Elderkin

Elderkin New Member

I just recently purchased a Marvel Unit II and was lucky in that I was able to return it and get a refund on the purchase. It flat would not feed any kind of ammo and the accuracy off a rest ( even fired single shot ) would not even come close to what Marvel claimed they could do hand held(?). I called them and a very nice lady claimed she was going to have someone contact me ...this never happened! I have a friend with a Unit I and it was every thing Marvel claimed and then some untill just recently and now it has developed multiple issues. If someone is interested in buying one I would suggest that they go to the Marvel Web site and check out their forum. Marvel, makes no attempt to cover up the complaints posted there by their customers. Marvel, has recently ( like past 4-6 weeks ) had a major change with another company now in the picture. This is all spelled out on the Marvel Web Pages forum. It is worth the visit. According to email that I recieved from this company....Marvel consists of only 2 full time emloyees. They have a great item in the Unit I but there are issues that it is clear to see when reading the forum, that they can't keep up with.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  9. detroit25

detroit25 New Member

Has anyone tried or heard any thing about the conversion from Tactical Solutions? I currently have a Unit 2 on order from Marvel but it has been over 2 months and they state it could be 3-4 weeks more! Between the wait and the reviews I am hearing lately I think I am going to cancel my order. Any input is appreciated.
  10. LDBennett

Detroit25:

If its a tactical conversion you are looking for the Marvel Precision Unit Two offers nothing over that of the Kimber or Ceiner. They all three are about the same. But if its target shooting or bullseye you do then you need the Marvel Precision Unit One. It is one accurate gun when placed on a 1911 frame that has a nice trigger. In fact I think my Unit One will out shoot my Model 41 S&W which is the one all others for under $1000 are compared to.

I am really sad to hear Marvel is having growing problems. I had personal contact with them when I order the Unit Two when I wanted the Unit One. They were extremely nice about it. They, at the time, were having magazine problems (outside supplier) and delivered a good magazine to me at the Shot Show. I talked with the owner and he was extremely nice. I guess when the demand outstrips the production you get to quality issues and availablity issues. Too bad because it has been an excellent product for me and I have been highly recommending the Unit One. I hope they don't fold! They deserve better than to go away for having such a good product in the Unit One.

LDBennett