Kimber/Carl Gustaf Mauser

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Went shooting with #3 son and a friend of his today. Friend has a 22-250 which was rather interesting. Barrel said:
    "Kimber of America, Inc. Clackamas, ORE"
    "Sporterized M96 Sweden Custom #179"
    "22-250"

Reciever says (partially obscured by scope mount
    "CARL GUSTAFS GEVAR STAKTORI"
    " -1917- HK 408nnn"

It is a standard Swede Mauser action with a fluted stainless steel bull barrel and reblued action, guard, floorplate, etc.

Now, the question. The trigger is pretty bad and, after shooting my FN with the Canjar trigger, he wants to put a similar trigger on his. I've just started my search, but haven't yet found many sources to compare prices. Any suggestons would be greatly appreciated. From here, I will wander on over to Brownells, Midway, etc. This rifle would take just a standard Mauser trigger, wouldn't it?

Incedently, Kimber of America claims they were never in Clackamas, Oregon. Hmmmm.

Armed and Safe - not just a theory

Edited by: armedandsafe at: 2/2/03 9:24:55 pm

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/2/03 11:18:53 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Kimber /Carl Gustav?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is a standard Swede Mauser Model 96 or 96/38 that Kimber inspected, rebarreled, stocked and sold as a converted rifle. Any aftermarket trigger for a Mauser 96 will fit. You are blessed with lots of choices - Dayton Traister, Bold, Timmeny, etc.

Brownells, Midway, Natchez Shooters Supply, Midsouth Shooters Supply and others all sell these triggers. For the money, I personally think the Bold triggers are well worth the money and they are not as expensive as some of the others.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/3/03 8:06:28 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Kimber /Carl Gustav?
    I've used the Bold triggers. They work well, require a bit more fitting than the more expensive types.

Kimber of America was never in Clackamas, OR. Kimber of Oregon was, though.

armedandsafe
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/3/03 1:04:16 pm)
    I knew, sorta, that Kimber of America, Inc. was never in Clackamas, but that is what is stamped on the barrel, bold as can be. After posting last night, I went searching some more and found one on GunsAmerica for <$600. It is listed as Kimber of Oregon, but there is not a photo on the listing.

I've not used the Bold trigger, but I have an idea we will give it a try. What kind of "fitting" are we talking aobut? I no longer have access to a shop, but am still fairly good with hand tools. Thanks for your help, guys.

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/3/03 2:39:02 pm)
    YO Dudes---the way I read it:

1. Kimber of Oregon, Clackamas, Oregon 1980-1991
    2. Kimber of America, Clackamas, Oregon 1993-1997
    3. Kimber Mfg. Co, Yonkers, N.Y. 1993-present
    1997 all manufacturing cosolidated in NY an both Otrgon factories closed

RE: Blue Book 23rd edition, Krause 2002

U could look it up

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/3/03 3:31:15 pm)
    A&S -

All these aftermarket triggers (other than the side safety models) are fairly easy to install on the mauser type actions and can be done with your normal home shop tools. The instruction sheets that come with them will take you step by step and are easy to follow. Brownell's will have the largest selection, but be more costly than if ordered from the other supply houses.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

armedandsafe
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/3/03 9:55:18 pm)
    I have installed several Canjar triggers on mausers, but not for about 40 years. The only reason I was asking is that AntiqueDr indicated that more "fitting" was required for that brand.

I really like the Canjars but haven't enough experience with the other brands to know what might be lurking in the shadows using them.

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/3/03 11:01:34 pm)
    Nothing wrong with a Canjar - if it suits your fancy, go for it!
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"