The Firearms Forum banner

Kimber Pro Carry II

5K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  NonPCnraRN 
#1 ·
I'm too lazy to search thu tons of pages so I hope you don't mind me asking a question.

Anyone here have a Pro Carry II? What do you think of it? I know Kimbers a great gun but I just want to get a rough idea on it before I drive 50 miles one way just to see and hold one.

TIA

killbuck
"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any- price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

#2 ·
Mine lasted about a month -first 100 rounds jammed every other shot, after bringing it back to the shop where I bought it new the owner deep cleaned and nicely lubricated it. The shop owner himself put 50 rounds through it and found he had not corrected the problem. Stovepipes, misfeeds and rounds not going fully into battery, EVERY magazine. Never had 7 shots in succession without an issue. I sold it a month later. Why the hell should a 1k gun need to be sent back to the manufacturer the day after you buy it!

#3 ·
Mine lasted about a month -first 100 rounds jammed every other shot, after bringing it back to the shop where I bought it new the owner deep cleaned and nicely lubricated it. The shop owner himself put 50 rounds through it and found he had not corrected the problem. Stovepipes, misfeeds and rounds not going fully into battery, EVERY magazine. Never had 7 shots in succession without an issue. I sold it a month later. Why the hell should a 1k gun need to be sent back to the manufacturer the day after you buy it!
Did you ever try different magazines or ammo?

#4 ·
This is the reason I never buy a used gun unless I know the owner personally or the price is just too good to pass on (never happens)

Why pass a troubled gun off. Kimber would have gladly corrected any problem I'm sure. Especially one that new.

Guns are like cars, they are mass produced. Every now and then one is gonna have a problem. Reliable manufacturers will stand behind their product. Something minor may have been off. Just a little lip, or burr, or even a bad magazine.
I'm sure that you didn't get full value for it. So just 'getting rid of it'??? I don't understand.

#6 ·
Thanks for the comments. Think I'll hold on the Pro II for a wile tho till I hear more.

killbuck
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Kimber makes a fine gun. If you have those types of problems they can be fixed. I would buy one in a heartbeat. If you cant fix it the factory can.

#7 ·
Kimber makes a fine gun. If you have those types of problems they can be fixed. I would buy one in a heartbeat. If you cant fix it the factory can.
I know Kimber is a great firearm. I really just wanted to see if anyone had one and how they liked it for carry, handling it, shooting it, etc. Is it worth the bucks or is something as good for the size and bang?

Thanks,
killbuck

The point to remember is that what the government gives it must first take away. Dr. Laurence J. Peter

#8 ·
I know Kimber is a great firearm. I really just wanted to see if anyone had one and how they liked it for carry, handling it, shooting it, etc. Is it worth the bucks or is something as good for the size and bang?

Thanks,
killbuck

The point to remember is that what the government gives it must first take away. Dr. Laurence J. Peter
There are many here that have them and swear by them. I have a Taurus 1911 and a colt defender and a springfield emp that I love all of them. I am not sure why the kimber owners havent responded, probably because of the holiday there are alot of people busy. I wouldnt hesitate to buy a kimber but you can get cheaper ones that are comperable.

#9 ·
There are many here that have them and swear by them. I have a Taurus 1911 and a colt defender and a springfield emp that I love all of them. I am not sure why the kimber owners havent responded, probably because of the holiday there are alot of people busy. I wouldnt hesitate to buy a kimber but you can get cheaper ones that are comperable.
Oh I'm getting a Kimber all right. I just haven't made up my mind as to which one I really want. :)

#11 ·
got my kimber c/t ultra c/c and I love it,and if something ever go aray,got my new glock 27 with c/t. santa was really nice to me MELE KALIKIMAKA to all of you and your family @ this site work hard, be nice to people really makes you feel good. WHEN TIMES GET'S YOU DOWN, The old saying goes{sway with the palm trees] AND BE HAPPY

#12 ·
I am starting to believe the purists might be right about how 1911s should be full sized....for reliability reasons.

gn

#13 ·
I have a Kimber Custom II with Crimson laser grips. Have not had any problems with it since I got it earlier this year. I love it, but it is a bit heavy for a carry gun, but then what is excellence without burden?
Heavy? You really mean that??

gn

#14 ·
Heavy? You really mean that??

gn
I was thinking the same thing Mike, I have carried Desert Eagle, Taurus Judge, Ruger P94 when it was still .40 cal. all some pretty heavy guns.

I believe if you have the right holster and a GOOD belt made for a holster that extra support makes up for the weight of the gun.

Like anything, You get what you pay for. If you want to wear a 5 dollar belt from Walmart and use an Uncle Mikes Nylon holster, Then you should expect that gun to tilt away from your body making it seem to heavy for a concealed carry gun. Just my opinion. JUNK

#15 · (Edited)
I am starting to believe the purists might be right about how 1911s should be full sized....for reliability reasons.

gn
to weigh in more on that... i have a buddy with a 3 1/2" Colt 1991A1. he said something about how the feed ramp has to be more steep because of the gun being shorter... it also has only 2 lugs, compared to 3 on the full sized... it can only carry 7 rounds compared to 8 in the full size... the barrel is conical instead of just round like the full size because the conical is needed so everything can clear when you pull the slide back. so yeah, the full size is more reliable for design reasons. it's just that it starts to get so far away from the original design that it starts to have problems due to the way the gun is designed. i wouldn't say i'm a purist though. i went with a full size because i wanted the 8 rounds instead of 7. i also liked the full size because it had less recoil than the smaller ones. longer barrel makes it more accurate too. idk how much more accurate. but more than a shorter barrel. just get what you like though. sometimes the smaller ones are better for concealment. i'd almost carry a commander size if i was going to use it for a ccw. a full 5" is tougher to conceal even with a slim gun like the 1911.

#16 · (Edited)
I myself am not a huge fan of Kimber. I heard of people that got theirs and found rust on the barrel. As far as the gun, yeah it's a quality piece of equipment, but they're expensive. If I was going to buy something name brand, I would pick a Springfield as my top choice. Colts are nice too, but they are a little pricey compared to the Springfield. But hey, I went with my Rock Island for the price, and so far, it's been a great pistol. Not one problem with it. It's worth every bit of money I paid for it. I don't really think there is too much of a difference with most 1911s aside from a few things on them. If I'm going to pay that much for a 1911, I'd rather get a nice Springfield. I've seen Kimbers that are really high in price. If you want to pay that much, you're better off getting something like a Les Baer or a Nighthawk.

#17 ·
I was thinking the same thing Mike, I have carried Desert Eagle, Taurus Judge, Ruger P94 when it was still .40 cal. all some pretty heavy guns.

I believe if you have the right holster and a GOOD belt made for a holster that extra support makes up for the weight of the gun.

Like anything, You get what you pay for. If you want to wear a 5 dollar belt from Walmart and use an Uncle Mikes Nylon holster, Then you should expect that gun to tilt away from your body making it seem to heavy for a concealed carry gun. Just my opinion. JUNK
10/4 JunkKing.

Some buy 1K gun and and put it in crap and expect it to work. It is NO problem to carry a 1911 everyday but you must invest in a quality belt and holster. That has been said so many times but folks don't hear it.

I am 5'8" and 175lbs; carry a 1911 daily and year round, shorts and all.

Quality equipment.

#20 ·
I have a Star PD. It is the original factory chopped 1911. It doesn't have a grip safety and I never found that to be a problem. It is much lighter than my stainless Springfield Milspec. It has an aluminum frame that is softer than it should be because the ramp gets dinged easily. I think the same design with a newer, stronger alloy would sell like popcorn. It weighs a lot less than my Milspec but it really isn't that much easier to conceal than a full sized gun. I bought it when I got caught up in the "smaller is easier to carry" mantra that started back when the PD came out. Another thought in regards to the issue of size, I compared my 5" Milspec to my Ruger Birds Head Vaquero with a 3 3/4" barrel. For trail use they are similar in size but the Milspec is a few ounces lighter. It is certainly slimmer. It is faster to reload. You cannot shoot 260gr cup point solids out of it at 1200 fps, though. But I can shoot a 230 gr truncated cone bullet at 950 fps which is pretty close to the original load for the Single Action Army (250 gr RNFP at 950 fps). A lot of critters have fallen to that load. So size is relative. To me the Milspec is a more compact trail gun than the Birds Head Vaquero. Which gun gets chosen depends on whether I am more concerned about 2 legged or 4 legged critters. I agree that a good belt and a good holster will make a world of difference on how easily you carry a gun. These are just some random thoughts about purchasing a gun based on weight and size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.