1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Kimber Pro Carry II

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by killbuck, Dec 20, 2009.

1. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I myself am not a huge fan of Kimber. I heard of people that got theirs and found rust on the barrel. As far as the gun, yeah it's a quality piece of equipment, but they're expensive. If I was going to buy something name brand, I would pick a Springfield as my top choice. Colts are nice too, but they are a little pricey compared to the Springfield. But hey, I went with my Rock Island for the price, and so far, it's been a great pistol. Not one problem with it. It's worth every bit of money I paid for it. I don't really think there is too much of a difference with most 1911s aside from a few things on them. If I'm going to pay that much for a 1911, I'd rather get a nice Springfield. I've seen Kimbers that are really high in price. If you want to pay that much, you're better off getting something like a Les Baer or a Nighthawk.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  2. techoca

techoca New Member

10/4 JunkKing.

Some buy 1K gun and and put it in crap and expect it to work. It is NO problem to carry a 1911 everyday but you must invest in a quality belt and holster. That has been said so many times but folks don't hear it.

I am 5'8" and 175lbs; carry a 1911 daily and year round, shorts and all.

Quality equipment.
  3. dentskweezer

dentskweezer New Member

I have a Pro CDP II and a Super Match II. I use wilson magazines and don'tt have any problems.
  4. more forty fives

more forty fives New Member

I have a kimber customII and love it I bought it to carry here in FL.in the humid summer in place of my Les Baer but I carry all the time it shoots just as good as the Baer at half the cost and the Finnish holds up to the humidity better than the Baer.
  5. NonPCnraRN

NonPCnraRN New Member

I have a Star PD. It is the original factory chopped 1911. It doesn't have a grip safety and I never found that to be a problem. It is much lighter than my stainless Springfield Milspec. It has an aluminum frame that is softer than it should be because the ramp gets dinged easily. I think the same design with a newer, stronger alloy would sell like popcorn. It weighs a lot less than my Milspec but it really isn't that much easier to conceal than a full sized gun. I bought it when I got caught up in the "smaller is easier to carry" mantra that started back when the PD came out. Another thought in regards to the issue of size, I compared my 5" Milspec to my Ruger Birds Head Vaquero with a 3 3/4" barrel. For trail use they are similar in size but the Milspec is a few ounces lighter. It is certainly slimmer. It is faster to reload. You cannot shoot 260gr cup point solids out of it at 1200 fps, though. But I can shoot a 230 gr truncated cone bullet at 950 fps which is pretty close to the original load for the Single Action Army (250 gr RNFP at 950 fps). A lot of critters have fallen to that load. So size is relative. To me the Milspec is a more compact trail gun than the Birds Head Vaquero. Which gun gets chosen depends on whether I am more concerned about 2 legged or 4 legged critters. I agree that a good belt and a good holster will make a world of difference on how easily you carry a gun. These are just some random thoughts about purchasing a gun based on weight and size.