Kimber ReAssembly ?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by navis128, Dec 9, 2009.

1. navis128

navis128 New Member

I field stripped my pistol to clean some rust off the barrel. I re-assembled it. I made sure to have the slide stop shaft thru the barrel link, then I rotated the stop & aligned with the disassembly notch and seated it.

The slide doesn't come all the way back to enable engagement of the slide stop now and if I "rack" (I'm assuming that's moving the slide back and forth) the slide, the compressed spring assembly will move forward.

Does this all "tighten up" when the take down tool is removed? I don't really want to remove that unless I'm sure I'm not going to ruin it. It's really hard to remove though. It's not "dropping out" like the manual says it's supposed to.

Any experiences to share?

Thx.
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I am not sure exactly what you mean when you say remove the take down tool. I know that when I had my Kimber, I had a heck of a time reassembling it until I learned to have the slide "upside down" when putting it back together (slide on the bottom and the grip pointed up). Once I did that, it went together just fine.
  3. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I had the same problem with my springfield the first time. I cant tell you what I did to get it right. I just kept messing with it and it finally worked. I have 2 other 1911s and have never had that problem until now.
  4. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

Are you sure you got the slide stop in the loop link? I've made that mistake where I thought I had it in there ,but found out that I was in front of it. Try removing the slide, check the barrel link is in the 'upright' position. Turn the slide upside down, and slowly slide the frame/slide together while watching the hole through the frame. You will see the link loop come into sight, and then the hole line up. Of course, now you can slide the post in, align the notch, and so forth.

I'm a bit confused with the "do I have to remove the tool" part. The tool is just that polymer 'wrench'. It should just slip on the front of the assymbly to aid in getting the barrel bushing to rotate over the full length guide rod. So it should not interfere with that at all.
    You could actually do this without the tool at all, just with your fingers, but the tool makes it easier.

Hint, once the slide/frame is assymbled, if you lock the manual safety into it's notch, it helps relieve a bit of tension on the recoil spring and keeps things from moving around while you manipulate the bushing back over the guide rod.

Hope this helps.
  5. navis128

navis128 New Member

I did find that turning it upside down helped a lot. I can see the barrel link through the stop hole.

I think I'm going to have to go online and watch some videos. I think I'm experiencing Karma...I have been a difficult woman in my life and now it's caught up with me!:)

Thanks y'all for all your help and advice. I sure appreciate it.

PS...I'm apprehensive about taking that tool out of the spring assembly. Doesn't that kinda equate to a spring on your vehicle? Once you let the compression off...good luck.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  6. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

It's not that big a deal. It's only a 16 lb spring. (twenty lb if its a compact) Just rotate to the required position, and let up slowly. Not ultra slow, just control it. you will lift up about two inches and all the pressure will be off of it. I usually kinda cup my hand over it so that it doesn't get away from me.
    The trouble comes if you just clear it and let it go. I will shoot across the room on ya. It's not gonna kill ya or anything, but it can be a bugger to find it behind the couch!!:D

When reassymbling, use your thumb to compress the spring cover, rotate the bushing over far enough to catch the edge. This will hold the assybly in the slide. Now, use the tool to compress fully and swing the bushing over into the fixed position.

I always hold the weapon so that if the spring does get away from me, it goes up and out so as not to poke me in the eye.;)

P.S. If I were there, I could show you in about 5 seconds... Once you get it, youll barely think twice about it again.
  7. navis128

navis128 New Member

I'm having problems uploading the photos. I think they might be too large.
  8. navis128

navis128 New Member

This is the bull barrel, the spring assembly and the top of the slide (that is upsidedown).

Attached Files:

9. navis128

navis128 New Member

Note how far forward the spring is. Is this correct?

Attached Files:

10. navis128

navis128 New Member

So I slid the frame onto the slide while it was upside down. It gave some resistance just before the frame covered the spring. Gave it a little pressure and it went together, turned it right side up while looking thru the stop shaft hole and watched the barrel link come down. Put the stop thru and then rotated up to the disassembly notch (I had to move the slide back to align). This is as far as I can get the slide, so the slide stop can't hook in.

Attached Files:

11. navis128

navis128 New Member

I guess this one would be better. I hope I don't get kicked off.

Attached Files:

12. Double D

This is exactly the same issue I had with my new springer. But after fooling with it I got it. On my other 1911s the spring just comes out when you pull the slide off. But on this one and yours it looks like, the spring has to be compressed and held that way to dissasemble. I have a half moon spring block about a half inch long and I just knocked it off and it popped out and everything started working. I did that a couple times before that and it was doing the same thing yours is. If we both have had the same problem then I have to say we are either both amatures or others have had the same problem and there is a solution.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  13. navis128

navis128 New Member

I admit I'm an amature. I was expecting a smack upside the head from one of the guys telling me I had the slide backwards or something.

I haven't dropped it and she has been like this for weeks! I'm getting frustrated and disinterested quickly.
  14. Double D

Uh oh sounds like you might better send it to me!
  15. navis128

navis128 New Member

Don't think so, but I must say, I'm surprised that I haven't received any solution.