1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Kimber ReAssembly ?

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by navis128, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Kimber

Kimber New Member

Once you’ve gotten past the safety pin shown here, yes, but not recommended. Compressing the grip safety wile sliding the slide on in reassembly will keep this small pin up and possibly shear it off (not good).
    [​IMG]
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

Yay! :D
  3. Kimber

Kimber New Member

It will,you won’t feel it until you replace the spring and remember how a new spring feels, keep a count on your rounds. 900 or 1000 isn’t a problem as long as the pistol is reliable.

Do an eBay search, enter “1911 Tools” there are some handy tools being listed for the Carry Kimber.
    I’d post a link but I’m not sure of forum policy.
  4. navis128

navis128 New Member

Yes, Yes it does. I just bowed up and pushed. I was apprehensive 'cause it's kind of expensive, but I figured if I broke it surely Kimber would replace it.

Do you have the slide lock out and the slide forward?

Thanks Pinecone, You're a peach (besides snow what is MN known for?)

So, hypathetically of course, let's say you were in that SOL position, have you used anything besides the designated tool?

PS - I haven't been here long, but I have found the policy to boil down to "don't be nasty to your neighbor". A little banter and ribbin' are ok, but nastiness is not allowed.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  5. rocklinskier

rocklinskier New Member

Navis,

Glad you got it. Now, maybe do it a couple of times right away so as to get the process down pat, and next time, it won't take you long at all.

Sorry about the PM, I just got the message and didn't get a chance to reply, but thanks to the helpful folks here, you obviously got the help you needed.

If I may, about the recoil spring replacement. There was a long and descriptive thread not long ago on that subject, but here is the jest of it:

As the spring gets weakened (used) it will allow the slide to slam harder into the frame with each shot. This will eventually cause wear and even possibly damage to the gun. It's a preventative maint. thing. Springs are not expensive, and easy to replace. You likely won't be able to "feel it". The 800 rounds is recommended, but don't panic if you go over a bit. Some have fired literally thousands of rounds thru their 1911's without replacement, but it's not typically considered wise to do so.

You can either literally track or log the # of rounds you've shot, or just a general guideline. For example, if you go to the range once a week and shoot 100 rounds each time, you know you need to change that spring approx. every 2 months or so. shoot 50 rounds every other week, then change it at 6 months, etc. etc.
  6. navis128

navis128 New Member

I can just rip off the box top...until I learn how to re-load that is.
  7. navis128

navis128 New Member

This spring assembly...is it "assembled" like that because it's a 4" barrel?
  8. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

No, it's because it's a 4" bull barrel. :) So, no room for a recoil spring plug.

You will know when to change the recoil spring when the relaibility goes away. It's good to change the recoil spring at least every 1000 rounds due to the shorter barrel.
  9. keokeboy

keokeboy Member

when the kimber engineers decided to put a bull barrel into my compact carry 2, I been thinking really hard if there is a better way to take down this beautiful piece of art without using any tools. wonder what sam would come up with?
  10. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

If you loose the takedown tool, a paper clip makes a good substitute. ( don't even ask me how I know)
  11. Kimber

Kimber New Member

I take back that “not recommended part“, once you have the slide back over the safety pin shown (like you have it in post 12 I believe it was) feel free to grip the grip safety when locking back the slide or chambering a round.
    It should be natural not to compress the grip safety when chambering a round as your hand pushes up on the hammer guard part of the grip safety.
    With out a magazine in the pistol the slide won't lock back without pushing up on the slide lock.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  12. rancherodad

rancherodad New Member

Navis128 hope you got this fixed I have several 1911 and just pick up my first kimber have not taken it down yet so I'll post up what I find when I do