KImber Solo Subcompact 9mm ???

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by rhmc24, Mar 21, 2011.

1. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

Does anyone have hands-on info about it? I like the small size, light weight, having a safety and striker mechanism instead of a DAO hammer. All I know is what I see in their website. Info, comments appreciated. :eek:
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I've shot one that were I work has one on the rental wall. Very nice trigger. Smooth and light. Gun fits well on me. Im not a huge fan of striker fired guns but the solo is a great piece. They have 18 on backorder now. I don't think they are terribly easy to get right now.
  3. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

I'm not a striker fan either but my Kel-Tec PF9 (hammer DA) has such a long heavy lumpy pull I'm ready for a change. The new Ruger LC9 also has a long pull but smooth and a bit lighter, so I may go for that if the Kimber takes too long to deliver.

The only reason I would consider the Kimber is that it has an ambidextrous safety. I had a Glock and got rid of it because of no safety. You pull the trigger and it fires. I know of two sad events with Glocks due to that.
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

The Solo trigger is way better than the LC9.
  5. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I purchased one several weeks ago and it fires very nicely. There is a noticeable "bite" to the recoil though.

The MAJOR problem that I had was the 8th round stove piped during ejection and wrecked the slide and safety on the left side. This was factory fresh Blazer ammo.

I typically expect my Kimbers to get more than 8 rounds before firing.:mad:

My dealer sent it back to the Kimber hospital. I expect that it will be gone several months..
  6. Icabod

Icabod New Member

Have 376 rounds through mine. Started with hornady TAP but have been using The cheaper brands from the Kimber list. Average cost $13.99 for 50 rounds. Had issues until the magazine spring loosened up. However have run into any of the reported horror stories that first came out. It doesn't like cheap ammo. FTE was the most common.stick with the stuff on the list and it's a sweet gun
    E out.