The Firearms Forum banner

Kimber super carry pro

3K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  stev32k 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Someone has offered to sell me a used Kimber 1911 super carry pro for $1,100. The gun looks like it has never been fired and has four mags and holster included. I see prices on the same gun new are about $1,500 on *** ******.

The problem is I Don't know anything about a Kimber except they are high priced. How would this gun compare to the Les Baer premier II in terms of accuracy and reliability. I like the feel of the gun and it looks good, but I won't have the chance to try it out.

My use is strictly target shooting. I would not carry the gun or use it for home defense. The main problem I have is I've never seen a gun I didn't like, but after shooting them for awhile I am easily disappointed in the trigger pull or accuracy. I've gotten very picky about those two attributes.

Anyone have one of these? Any comments?

#2 ·
Re: Kimer super carry pro

I don't think you will enjoy any long range sessions with the Super Carry Pro due to it's light weight. It is designed for carry afterall.

Kimber are accurate, well made 1911's so maybe find a Custom Target or even an all steel Commander size will be better for you.

Kimber is not in the same class as the Les Baer Premier II.

#3 ·

I like my Kimber but wouldn't want to use it for target shooting. The 4" barrel and the light weight isn't conducive for a long day at the range. You can find a good target pistol for a lot less money

#4 ·

I know many of you own kimbers and like them. I have just read so many negative reports on them that they worry me. It seems that they have a snooty customer service. I know there are always negatives on every gun out there. But there must be something to all these reports....

#5 ·

What would be a good 9mm target pistol? I came across a Kimber stainless Gold Match II in 9mm. Also saw a Nighthawk 9mm, but they were asking $3,500 and that is out of the question.

I see Sig, Rock island, and STI all make 1911s in 9mm. How would any of those compare to the Les Baer?

#7 · (Edited)

Shooter bought his STI from me a couple years back and has put it thru its paces and I completely trust his opinion on this firearm. I own a bunch of 1911s and plan on buying an STI in the near future. While you cant compare it to a 3000 Les Baer, it will do anything and everything you need it to do and more. P.S. Do not be afraid of a rock island either. I have one of their tactical models that I think the world of and it was like 550 bucks...sometimes the name is not everything...

#8 ·

I sent an email to Les Baer asking if they made the 1911 Premier II in a 9mm version. I got a response back saying yes, they made a 9mm and the cost was the same as the .45 and delivery was about 2 years.

Don't think I'll wait 2 years so I'll keep looking.

#9 ·

For what your going to spend on the Baer, you can own an STI and a Sig and a Rock Island.

#10 ·

For what your going to spend on the Baer, you can own an STI and a Sig and a Rock Island.
My first priority in a gun is accuracy followed by reliability and trigger pull. Guess I've been spoiled by the Baer, but I would rather have one accurate gun than three or more less accurate guns. Almost any gun is more accurate than I am, but I've found I am more accurate with the Bear than any other gun I own. Where that shows up most is when shooting from a rest. With the Bear I can put five shots in the same hole at 25 feet. My M&P 9c will give, at best, a 2" group under the same conditions. At 25 yards using a rest the Baer will give about 1/2" group and the M&P about 3 - 5" group.

Almost every time I go to the range and shoot the Bear from a rest someone will ask me what kind of gun I'm shooting. They usually make comments like "I've never seen a handgun shoot that tight of a group". That is the kind of performance I'm looking for in a 9mm (and maybe a .40 smith).

#11 · (Edited)

I guess thats why there are so many different guns. I can take my 500.00 1911s and they are more accurate than most any other gun right out of the box. No, they wont shoot with a Baer. But I can shoot some nice groups with them. I can guarantee kill shots every time. So, to me, its just not worth another 2500 to get the group that much tighter. I would rather have 3-4 nice, good shooting 1911s. I guess its just whatever floats your boat...oh and most any 1911 will outshoot your plastic guns...

#14 ·

Do you know anything about a Kimber Gold Trophy Match 9mm? From reading some descriptions if sounds like it might be close to the Les Baer in accuracy.
Uhhh, no.

#16 ·
Are you going to shoot competition or is the accuracy just for personal satisfaction?

#17 ·
Are you going to shoot competition or is the accuracy just for personal satisfaction?
It is personal satisfaction. I would like to shoot competition and did so 50 years ago, but now my hand held shooting is limited to about 10 or 15 rounds after that my arthritic hands cannot hold still and it's hard to even pull the trigger.

I still enjoy shooting using a good pistol rest and that has been a real eye opener for me. I didn't realize just how inaccurate hand guns could be - I always thought it was just me that could not shoot very well now I can see how much a difference the gun itself makes.

I hear a lot of people saying the gun is more accurate than they are, but I've learned that an accurate gun is just as important as an accurate shooter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.