Kimber Target Match vs. Springfield TRP

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by sbakst, Sep 25, 2006.

1. sbakst

sbakst New Member

I am fairly new to shooting however I am very passionate about my weapon of choice. I have recently purchased a Kimber Ultra CDP II (love it!) and I now would like somthing a little bit larger and better for range use. I was told about the Springfield TRP and offered a price of roughly $1250 which I heard was very well priced. However I am a bit partial to Kimber's. How would you rate the Kimber Target Match (limited) against the Springfield TRP. Are either of these gun worth their cost?

-Sean
  2. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

De jevu......

Didn't I see this post at the 1911 forum......:D

Since I answered you there Sean, I won't do it here........:p
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

If you wan't high end Springfield the top of the line would be the LEATHAM series but the TRP is a great gun
  4. sbakst

sbakst New Member

Tony,
    I just saw that you are from S.Jersey. I live in De. Where did you buy your Target Match and for how much. Let me know soon I am starting to get NUGS Syndrome!! And I didn't even buy it yet. -Sean
  5. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Butch's Gun World, Vineland, NJ is where I purchased mine.

Lawmen's Supply in Hammonton also had one last year. The pistol's limited run is over, and Kimber no longer lists it as a current offering, so if you locate one, buy it now before someone else gets it. I doubt they can be ordered, as I'm sure all 1,000 pistols are out of distribution, and the one's that haven't sold, are sitting in gun shops waiting to be sold......
  6. sbakst

sbakst New Member

Well every one I have great news, I have trusted in your advise and my love of Kimbers and purchased a Target Match. I just got off the phone with the gun shop and it is being shipped out today. I believe it is 545/1000. Tony I am relating to that the New Unfired Gun Syndrome (NUGS). I asked them to send me the tracking number so I can pick it up the second it arrives! Thanks to everyone for all of your help, I really appricate it.

Safe Shooting,

Sean

*Tony we should get our Kimbers together for some range time!
  7. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

You made a good choice. Feed it well and often . :)

Don't forget the range report.
  8. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Yea let us know how it works out
  9. sbakst

sbakst New Member

Well I picked up the gun yesterday and went off to the range. I put 100 rds through the barrel and simply put it was awesome. All shots were tightly grouped and the recoil was hardly there. I am very glad that I posted on this forum all of you gave me great info to consider. It turned out to be the perfect day to go to the range; I met someone in a IDPA / bulls eye league and I will probably start shooting there later this month. Should be a lot of fun. Anyway thanks again and I will keep everyone posted.

Great Shooting and Keep it Safe,

Sean

btw: I just realized that I accidently posted on the wrong thread the other day; sorry for the confusion!
  10. Vermonter

Vermonter New Member

Congratulations on your choice. I haven't heard a complaint yet about Kimber. I have the full size Custom TLE/RL II in 45 caliber and it's a terrific pistol in every way.
  11. scarter

scarter New Member

Sbakst, i have been offered a very nice Kimber Target Match Limited Edition for $2000. That's a lot of dough but it is a very nice gun. I was doing some surfing to get some perspective and saw your email from 2006 when you bought one. I would be most grateful if you would share your thoughts and wisdom with me on this offer. Scarter, Asheville, NC
  12. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum. The original poster hasnt posted in years but maybe someone else that owns a kimber can chime in. I can tell you that 2000 sounds high.
  13. H-D

H-D Active Member

He hasn't posted since '06 but check this thread

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=25938

Welcome to the forum!
  14. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

While I like the Kimber, the price sounds high.

I would seriously look into a Les Baer Premier II for less money. Not only will it out shoot the Kimber, it will hold it's value much better. I own them both.
  15. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

I vote for the TRP.