Kimber Ultra Carry Feed Question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Gator, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Gator

Gator New Member

Got a new Kimber Ultra Carry II today. Took it apart and cleaned it and then loaded it with Hornaday 45+P hollow points.

Jacked the slide to chamber a round and the cartridge got stuck. Seemed like the edge of the hollow point caught itself trying to "get up" into the chamber. I had to sort of "push" the slide forward. Took out that round and tried again. Same results. Same "fix."

Question:

Kimber says to run 500 rounds to break in the weapon. Obviously, I haven't had a chance to fire the gun at all. Is this something that should resolve itself after a proper break in or ...?

Thanks in advance.
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Try breaking it in with stnd velocity FMJ's, ball ammo will cycle MUCH better. As for HP ammo, you're going to have to find a brand that works in your gun once it's broken in. You may have to have the feed ramp polished up a bit also.

Not all types of ammo will cycle consistently in a particular gun; HP is the most picky of ammo, so you have to test and practice until you find one that feeds and cycles 100% of the time for carry ammo.
  3. muddober

muddober Active Member

Gator: I am a bit confused. You write that the round hangs up on the edge of the hollow point yet you can push the slide forward chambering the round. Are you saying that the round is just slowed down by being hit on the edge of the hollow point then somehow gets past that and starts to chamber and then you have to help it. If all of that is true it just might be that you may have cleaned your gun too well. I would make sure the slide and guide rod (if yours has one) are oiled. I would suggest that you load your gun as you did even helping with the first round and try shooting it. Often times the violence of the recoil will make the gun function and the more you shoot it the better it will function. I know that buying 500 rounds of jacketed hollow points could be way too expensive assuming you could even find them so I would shoot anything I could get my hands on. I have worked on several 45 autos for friends and the only thing I have done to a Kimber with one exception is lighten the trigger. My son of all people bought a new one with a feeding problem and I put a new heavier recoil spring in it and now it works just fine.

Ron
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Take it to the range, shoot it, see how it chambers and extacts with the force of a round driving the slide.:)
  5. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I can't speak for the Kimbers but my SA 1911 will also sometimes hang up on the first round being chambered by hand if you don't let the slide "slingshot" from the full rearward position when using Hornady XTPs (or other truncated cone style bullets).
    The biggest thing I've found that makes a difference is in the magazines used. Are you still using the stock Kimber mags or others?

In my Springfield, the factory mags and couple Kimber mags that I have are delegated for FMJ and cast lead only. I use Wilson ETM and Chip McCormick Power Mag Plus 8-rounders and haven't had any FTF problems with any HPs that I've tried in that pistol, including XTPs and the Speer Gold Dot "ashtrays".
    The heavier spring in the Power Mag Plus is nice but a couple hours at the range is **** on the thumbs if you forget your mag loading tool! :)
  6. Gator

Gator New Member

Thanks to all, again.

Today I emptied everything, put a "standard" ball cartridge on top of the mag and jacked the round. No problem.

I ejected that and put the Hornaday back on the stack and jacked (nice poetry lurks in there someplace) the round. No problem.

Later had to empty the gun again (don't ask) and when I reloaded (same Hornadays), it stuck.

BTW, I have a "standard" Kimber mag that came with the gun (stainless).

I think I just need to head to the range and make it go BOOM for about 100 rounds or so and then see what happens.

Appreciate the feedback (that's a pun, by the way).

Hope all are well.
  7. Gator

Gator New Member

Muddober:

Sorry. Neglected to respond.

The cartridge was like, "wedged" coming up the ramp. Sort of partially in the mag with the nose cone stuck trying to get to the barrel. By "pushing" the slide forward, I was able to get the round to chamber.

FWIW: I did not ease the slide forward; i let 'er "snap" back.

[Also: Man, the difference between a .45 and a .380 round is remarkable. It's like a vienna sausage and a brat.]
  8. ArnoldsPupil

ArnoldsPupil New Member

Have the same gun
    Fired right out of the box no problem.
    FMJ round nose
    hollow points
    No problems with anything i feed it and so far 100 rds and 3 diff manafactureres(sp)
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  9. muddober

muddober Active Member

No problem Gator and it doesn't sound like my one idea of a heavier recoil spring would help. Without having the gun in my hand I am at a loss.

Ron
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2009