The Firearms Forum banner

Kimber Ultra Carry II field report

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  monk d 
#1 ·
I guess I got lucky and didn't get a lemon. Wanted a carry size 45acp and settled on the Kimber 3" ultra. This past weekend was able to test it over 3 days shooting. I like to use a 200 grain bullet with 4.1 Red Dot. You can shoot all day and find your brass next to you. The Kimber Ultra was flawless and surprisingly accurate. I kept waiting on it to have all the problems people warned me about, so I feel lucky on this one.

The real test came when Dad and I opened his cabinet and picked out 5 cartridges each of some of his loads. We chose 7, avoiding a few of the hard kicking loads. Bullets ranged from 185 to 270 grains. There was AA#5, Power Pistol, Unique, and 231 that I can remember. All 7 loads were charted for accuracy. The biggest concern was feeding since all of these loads varied a great deal in cartridge length. Not one hiccup! Very pleased. The best performer was 5 in 1.25" @ 16 yards. It was a 200 grain SWC using 5.2 grains 231.

#2 ·
Glad you had good luck with your Kimber. It's always nice to hear a good report about a Kimber after all the bad I hear.

You'll be happy shooting a 200 grain SWC, most 45's i've ever seen love them and W231 is a nice powder choice for that bullet as well.

#3 ·
Nice to hear your success.

I've only put 250 rounds through my new Kimber HD Tactical II. I did have 2 FTE within the first 70-80 rounds. They were PMC 230 FMJ. Those were 2 of the first 70 or 80 rounds. Since then I've been good, I'm shooting reloads (7.0 SR-4756) and Speer Lawman all 230 FMJ. This is my first Kimber and first 1911 so I don't have anything to compare it against. I'm think I'm out of the woods now as I see the the slide smoothing up. Kimber does state 300-500 for break in.

#4 ·
I love my ultra crimson carry 2. It's never malfunctioned or even burped when loading with less than ideal powder (Herco). I carry and fire it regularly, and have nothing bad to say about Kimber. Glad that you are having a similar experience.

#5 ·
Congrats on your acquisition, glad it works for you, they are fine pistols

I have had two Kimbers, an old Compact Custom, just sold, and just recently I got a Super Carry Custom, nicest gun I have every had, normally a no-go because it is so pricey, but I got a real good deal on it. Only issue I had with it was that the first couple of times I took it out the first round would be a FTF either with the slide open (closing it on a round by releasing the slide catch), or racking one in. Did some playing and found in quick order that if I reduced the mag load from 8 to 7 rds (Kimber 8 rd mags), the problem went away. Only problem I have every had with either pistol.

I read something not too long ago that makes sense about 1911s. There is a lot of stuff out there about some or most being finicky for whatever reason. My personal thought is that over the years the tolerances have gotten tighter and tighter, customers wanted a more precise configuration, and the originals were very loose, like rattle buckets, but it seems the old ones never needed much of a break-in period, etc., so we, as in me, wanted all this machining precision, but the price we pay s that we have to keep it tuned or fed properly or something might not work, we do have to break it in

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.