Kimber Ultra Carry II Owners

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by techoca, Jun 29, 2009.

1. techoca

techoca New Member

I'm looking at a Kimber Ultra Carry II and would like some feedback from you folks who have one and use it for CCW.

Pistolenschutze, did you make the purchase you spoke of earlier?

Thanks,
    Eddy
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  2. techoca

techoca New Member

I decided to go another direction and I purchased a S&W 1911ES Compact with Scandium frame and SS slide. This pistol has the best trigger pull of any factory model I have ever purchased.

Excellent shooter, my new CCW.

Thanks Flathead Greg!:D

Eddy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  3. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

I have to be honest with you, I bought a new kimber ultra carry II and really had a rough time with it, it was new and after bringing it back to the dealer/gunsmith and sending it back to kimber no one could tell me why it jammed constantly. cleanings, break-in time, every available ammo on the market and new spring the thing misfed and stovepiped at least once per magazine, that is very disapointing for a gun approaching $1k. I have had a bad taste in my mouth for kimber ever since, maybe you will have better luck but there is a few comments in this forum about similar performance or customer service issues. Hope not to ruin your day but I will NOT carry one for personal protection, period!
  4. bikeryoda

bikeryoda New Member

I have the Ultra Crimson Carry II. By far my most favorite pistol on the market. It has never had a single problem. Will eat whatever I feed it. The only thing I wish it had are night sights, but I guess that's why there is a laser on it.
  5. Mistahman

Mistahman New Member

I too was contemplating the ultra carry 2, but after reading , what seems like hundreds of reviews, I opted for the springfield champion operator light weight. Heard some horror stories about kimber and their customer service! Everyone (almost everyone anyways), had nothing but praise for Springfield's customer service! I love the champion operator, only put about 50 rounds through it so far, but not a hiccup! Only ran fmj so far.
  6. magnum force

magnum force New Member

cool looking smith ES model. i was thinking of getting one from bud's, but ended up locating a springer champion operator locally at a great price. how does the es handle recoil? is it a kicker with the scandium frame?

i've put 150 rounds through my champ operator, great gun, never jams.

might get that ES in the future, how much did you pay for it?
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  7. techoca

techoca New Member

magnum force,

the recoil is not much different from a full size model, but the weight for carry is significant. I certainly prefer the weight of a full size 1911 for target shooting. My target 1911 pistol is a Springfield SS Loaded Full Size. I have 2 Springfield 1911's and 1 Colt Series 70- huge Springer fan.:D

The ES has the best factory trigger of any 1911 that I've owned, it is a fine pistol. Smith did a nice job on the finish of this pistol, there are no sharp edges and all surfaces are smooth. I am very happy with the purchase. The ES is my new carry weapon.

I paid $880.00 including tax.

Family Photos:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

8. getgot

getgot New Member

saved money on the Springfield also...Give me a choice and I'll take Kimber any day.
  9. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I don't own one but I've seen a few. Mostly the issues are a finishing issue. The 2 that I've seen were not feeding issues as posted above but one was a FTF about 4 out of 100. That was contributed to the firing pin safety not fully disengaging and it was a pain to track down were it kept striking the safety. The other was a barrel issue not fully closing on the last round in the mag. that was a feed angle issue of the last round. Overall for a custom shop gun, not that impressed.
  10. wuluf

wuluf New Member

I've owned a UCII for 6 years. i had a few FTF during the break-in, but after that not a one. I'll be carrying it daily as soon as my permit arrives in the mail.
  11. getgot

getgot New Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HTML:
    I have to be honest with you, I bought a new kimber ultra carry II and really had a rough time with it, it was new and after bringing it back to the dealer/gunsmith and sending it back to kimber no one could tell me why it jammed constantly. cleanings, break-in time, every available ammo on the market and new spring the thing misfed and stovepiped at least once per magazine, that is very disapointing for a gun approaching $1k. I have had a bad taste in my mouth for kimber ever since, maybe you will have better luck but there is a few comments in this forum about similar performance or customer service issues. Hope not to ruin your day but I will NOT carry one for personal protection, period! 

Conversely: I purchased a Kimber Crimson Ultra Carry II a week ago and took it to the range last wed. for break in.

Results of range test;

1. Shot 200 rounds of Wally World Federal 230 gr. RN. Fixed sight accuracy - dead on
    2. Crimson Trace accuracy - dead on
    3. No FTE
    4. No FTF
    5. All rounds cycled flawlessly
    6. 3" barrel surprisingly accurate
    7. Recoil - overrated by alot of doubters

I traded a Kimber Custom Target II and had some break in failures but so far absolutely none with the Crimson Ultra Carry II. When I handle a Kimber, I can feel the quality. I love it.

Concealable and accurate.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  12. dragman

dragman New Member

In my group of friends we have 3 every day carry kimbers and all three love them! there is an Eclipse Ultra, a Crimson CDP ultra, and a CDP compact and all three have a few hundred rounds out of them at least. Every one loves them!!!