The Firearms Forum banner

Kimber Ultra Carry II

7K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Small.Shooter 
#1 ·
My wife has decided that she likes the feel of the new Kimber Ultra Carry II, but she is worried about the recoil of the .45 acp. I have heard reviews from both sides of the fence and decided to ask for the knowledge of my friends on the forum, since I haven't shot .45 in a compact size. Would magnaporting help with the recoil at all? She doesn't want any other gun. She likes the laser grip that come on the Kimber and the stopping power of the .45. So she is pretty set on this gun. Also any professional reviews on the gun would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Cody

#3 · (Edited)
Many women shoot and manage 45s. I would suggest getting her somewhere to shoot one prior to making the purchase, just to be sure, but if she is well versed in handling guns, she may do just fine with it. Does she have much experience? Magnaporting does help with recoil if you find it necessary.

#4 ·
She has a little experience with guns, mostly .22s. The biggest pistol she shot of mine was my .38 Super 1911 and she didn't like the sharp recoil on it. I told her from my use of a .45 it is more of a push then a kick, but I am used to firearms where she is getting into them because of me. I have been trying to find a range that you can rent guns around my are but I haven't had any luck so far. Would anybody know of a range in North Texas that does rent guns? And how much it costs to use each gun?

#5 ·
My sister saw one at the GS while I was with her. (used one) And the GS owner allowed us to shoot it and recoil on the .45 wasnt what I was expecting out of the size!
Wasnt bad recoil at all!

#6 · (Edited)
She has a little experience with guns, mostly .22s. The biggest pistol she shot of mine was my .38 Super 1911 and she didn't like the sharp recoil on it.
With this being said, I would highly recommend a different route. Please know that the Ultra Compact series can be extremely sensitive to limp wristing. Truth be known without good training and practice a 3"'1911 can turn into a frustratingly unreliable gun. Don't let this be a vanity thing.I would go to a Springfield EMP; they come in .40 & 9mm or the CDP in 9mm.

#7 ·
If you port that barrel the trade off is simple. The report is that its a 20 percent reduction in felt recoil, I say BS. I've shot ported officer models and they feel the same as they did before but 2 other things did change. My ears rang even with protection on bc now the pressure wave was directed up instead of away and I was flash blinded. Both are of which way more annoying than felt recoil. Kimber does make the carry series in a 9mm.

#8 ·
She has a little experience with guns, mostly .22s. The biggest pistol she shot of mine was my .38 Super 1911 and she didn't like the sharp recoil on it. I told her from my use of a .45 it is more of a push then a kick, but I am used to firearms where she is getting into them because of me. I have been trying to find a range that you can rent guns around my are but I haven't had any luck so far. Would anybody know of a range in North Texas that does rent guns? And how much it costs to use each gun?
You say you live in North TX, that covers a lot of area, could you be more specific? If you do not feel confident in training some one, then please find some one who can. There is a course taught in Marshall, TX that I would recomend, but then I don't know how far you are from Marshall. The recoil from any hand gun can be managed if you want to manage it. It does not matter if you are male, or female. I know women who shoot the .45 much better than I do!

#9 ·
I trust my teaching my wife to shoot, it is just that we don't have a good range near us that she can handle different guns and put rounds through them to see what she likes. I live up north by The Sherman/Denison area an would like to find a range that she can go shoot the different guns. How is the EMP performance wise? I haven't heard much about them, plus we only have a tiny Gander that is more devoted to close so our selection is mainly big name guns. Are they accurate as Kimber or better? How are they weight wise? Are they very picky about what they eat?

Thanks again,
Cody

#10 ·
I trust my teaching my wife to shoot, it is just that we don't have a good range near us that she can handle different guns and put rounds through them to see what she likes. I live up north by The Sherman/Denison area an would like to find a range that she can go shoot the different guns. How is the EMP performance wise? I haven't heard much about them, plus we only have a tiny Gander that is more devoted to close so our selection is mainly big name guns. Are they accurate as Kimber or better? How are they weight wise? Are they very picky about what they eat?

Thanks again,
Cody
I like them both, but own neither! I like the original design best. Either the EMP, or the Kimber will serve you well. Remember that the cartridge doesn't change in these guns, just the weight. Less weight means more felt recoil.

#12 ·
I have a Kimber Ultra, very nice gun but has a lot of reccoil. I would not recoment this type of pistol to start out on. As stated in one of the above posts limp wristing can cause malfuctions, failure to eject, failure to feed etc. They are not for a novice to learn on. My wife got very frustrated trying to use it. I got here a Springfield 9mm (1911), 3" bl. and it was still a little strong for her. Got her a little longer bbl (4") and everything was great. JMHO and experiance.

#13 ·
I have a Kimber Ultra, very nice gun but has a lot of reccoil. I would not recoment this type of pistol to start out on. As stated in one of the above posts limp wristing can cause malfuctions, failure to eject, failure to feed etc. They are not for a novice to learn on. My wife got very frustrated trying to use it. I got here a Springfield 9mm (1911), 3" bl. and it was still a little strong for her. Got her a little longer bbl (4") and everything was great. JMHO and experiance.
There it is:yeahthat:

#15 ·
My experience with the EMP (9mm) was frustrating at first. All it needed was about a 150 rounds through it to become reliable. My last 100 or so have been touble free and it will soon be replacing my XDSC as my carry weapon.

If you go the EMP route don't be surprised if a little break in is required. Others have reported no problems from the get go but that wasn't my
experience. All that said I absolutely love the EMP.:thumbsup:

#16 ·
Well thank you all for y'alls help, but she is sticking with the Kimber Ultra II. But we did find someone in our area to help her learn to shoot properly. He is a friend of my family who used to build .45 race guns for a living and has won many matches with his guns. He is gonna teach us both all he knows about 1911's and shooting (only gonna cost me working his land for a little while). But again thank you for your help in the matter, that's why I come here to ask questions.

Cody

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.